RemedySpot.com

Re: Schooling Issues - chat

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi ,

Glad you were able to talk with Sandee. I'll try to get something out about the chat soon for the group. There were some very good insights and info.

Talk to you soon,

n

In a message dated 2/21/08 11:56:31 AM Eastern Standard Time, evelyn.pannell@... writes:

Greetings All:

I was unable to get connected with this group last night n -- please advise on how to connect next time. Thanks.

In addition, I need some information in reference to my son Terrance whom is a high functioning autistic eleven year old who attends Lee Eaton Elementary's special needs class. Our family recently moved to the Nordonia Hills School District from Maple Heights area. My son Terrance is still having some difficulty reading and he is not receiving enough reading/phonics practice at school. His IEP entitles him to one hour a week which is not enough. My real issue is this -- they send him home with social studies and science homework which involves extensive reading/writing and studying which he is unable to do on his own but I was told by the school that the social studies and science is a curriculum requirement, however, I understand that but if he cannot read how is that helping him. My question to listeners out there, please advise me of my rights for my son. I feel he needs more intense one-on-one reading practice with a teacher. Should I make a request to have his IEP revised and demand that they incorporate more extensive reading into his IEP. I have read the IDEA book but I am still unsure as what I can demand for my son in addition to keeping up with curriculum requirements. Please advise -- I am at wit's end.