RemedySpot.com

Summer camps?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hello, I know many of you have gone to the Summer Camp Fair by CMR a few months ago...I could not make it there, unfortunatelly. Now I am getting a lot of inquiries about summer camps for children with ASD and would love to be able to help these families. Please let me know of any information, links, ideas you may have. I really appreciate it!

Guest guest

The Acheivement Centers run a summer camp called Champ Camp at both the Highland Hills location and Strongville. Both of my sons have attended there the last several years. They also run a Sensational Day Camp for kids on the spectrum. I am not sure who makes the determination of which kids on the spectrum should go to which camp. The Sensational camp is much more expensive, but it offers therapies I think. I am sure all of their information is on their website. Laurie Pattison <egerpatt@...> wrote: Hello, I know many of you have gone to the Summer Camp Fair by CMR a few months ago...I could not make it there, unfortunatelly. Now I am getting a lot of inquiries about summer camps for children with ASD and would love to be able to help these families. Please let me know of any information, links, ideas you may have. I really appreciate it!

Guest guest

Thanks, Laurie! I was thinking about Camp Cheerful also! So I knew about this particular camp, but was wondering about other options. I will post the booklet I have been able to obtain, very comprehensive, soon. Thanks again, Laurie Kowalski <lyndhurstmom3@...> wrote: The Acheivement Centers run a summer camp called Champ Camp at both the Highland Hills location

and Strongville. Both of my sons have attended there the last several years. They also run a Sensational Day Camp for kids on the spectrum. I am not sure who makes the determination of which kids on the spectrum should go to which camp. The Sensational camp is much more expensive, but it offers therapies I think. I am sure all of their information is on their website. Laurie Pattison <egerpatt > wrote: Hello, I know many of you have gone to the Summer Camp Fair by CMR a few months ago...I could not make it there, unfortunatelly. Now I am getting a lot of inquiries about summer camps for children with ASD and would love to be able to help these families. Please let me know of any information, links, ideas you may have. I really

appreciate it!

Guest guest

Hi there ,

We had to go on a summer camp hunt for Kiernan this year.. he is now

too old for MEEC's summer program which is a wonderful program.. we

were very fortunate in that we found a program through our MRDD rep

called the HELP Foundation.. it's a full day camp 8:15-2:15 M-F from

the end of june til the beginning of August...They do take the week of

July 4th off.. The program is from age 3-21.. they have 2 camps on

the east side at Green Road Developmental Center in Highland Hills and

East Cleveland Early Childhood Center in East Cleveland and one here

on the west at the parma developmental center.. They are pricey

($1600 for the summer) however those that go thru MRDD can have that

cost covered thru MRDD grant programs.. The deadline to get in was

March 28th but from what our MRDD rep had told us the programs have not

filled up yet so there are slots available.

Hope that helps!

>

> Hello,

> I know many of you have gone to the Summer Camp Fair by CMR a few

months ago...I could not make it there, unfortunatelly. Now I am

getting a lot of inquiries about summer camps for children with ASD and

would love to be able to help these families. Please let me know of

any information, links, ideas you may have.

> I really appreciate it!

>

>

Guest guest

Hi , Thanks for your response, great info! I wonder a child could just go for a week or so... I checked already out the foundtaion's website (did a search) and there is no mentioning of camp programs on there. Even though I don't have an MRDD rep. per say (she retired and have no idea who the replacement is) I will try to call them up today. I have already emailed some MRDD folks directly about it but haven't heard back yet. So this is really good information. Thank you! "If you want to know.. Ask!" <mystique2574@...> wrote: Hi there ,We had to go on a summer camp hunt for Kiernan this year.. he is now too old for MEEC's summer program which is a wonderful program.. we were very fortunate in that we found a program through our MRDD rep called the HELP Foundation.. it's a full day camp 8:15-2:15 M-F from the end of june til the beginning of August...They do take the week of July 4th off.. The program is from age 3-21.. they have 2 camps on the east side at Green Road Developmental Center in Highland Hills and East Cleveland Early Childhood Center in East Cleveland and one here on the west at the parma developmental center.. They are pricey ($1600 for the summer) however those that go thru MRDD can have that cost covered thru MRDD grant programs.. The deadline to get in

was March 28th but from what our MRDD rep had told us the programs have not filled up yet so there are slots available. Hope that helps!>> Hello,> I know many of you have gone to the Summer Camp Fair by CMR a few months ago...I could not make it there, unfortunatelly. Now I am getting a lot of inquiries about summer camps for children with ASD and would love to be able to help these families. Please let me know of any information, links, ideas you may have.> I really appreciate it!> >

Guest guest

I found this on their website about the summer program..

http://www.helpfoundationinc.org/continuing_ed.htm

Hope that helps!

> >

> > Hello,

> > I know many of you have gone to the Summer Camp Fair by CMR a few

> months ago...I could not make it there, unfortunatelly. Now I am

> getting a lot of inquiries about summer camps for children with ASD

and

> would love to be able to help these families. Please let me know of

> any information, links, ideas you may have.

> > I really appreciate it!

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

Thanks! Did not occur to me to look under "continuing education", really. Thanks again. "If you want to know.. Ask!" <mystique2574@...> wrote: , I found this on their website about the summer program.. http://www.helpfoundationinc.org/continuing_ed.htmHope that helps!> >> > Hello,> > I know many of you have gone to the Summer Camp Fair by CMR a few > months ago...I could not make it there, unfortunatelly. Now I am > getting a lot of inquiries about summer camps for children with ASD and > would love to be able to help these families. Please let me know of > any information, links, ideas you may have.> > I really appreciate it!> > > >>

• 1 year later...
Guest guest

I just got an email with this:2010 Summer and Beyond Directory

Did you miss the recreation fair on February 27 but still want information on summer opportunities for your child?  The 2010 Directory is now posted on the State Support Team 3 website.  To access, click on the link:  http://www.esc-cc.org/public/newsletters.cfm, scroll down to publications and click on “Summer and Beyond Directory 2010.”

~~Tara~~

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 5:48 PM, Mystique <mystique2574@...> wrote:

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the guide for summer camps available to our kids? I completely forgot about the summer camp fair that was a few weeks ago (doesn't help that I was snowed in that weekend) so I was unable to go to get one.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Guest guest

i believe you can go on line to view/print it. i received a copy,but can't recall offhand who puts it together. it is like the esc-educational service center i believe. i remember calling them directly and they referred me to it on line one year.

lisa

In a message dated 3/10/2010 5:48:41 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, mystique2574@... writes:

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the guide for summer camps available to our kids? I completely forgot about the summer camp fair that was a few weeks ago (doesn't help that I was snowed in that weekend) so I was unable to go to get one.Any help is appreciated!Thanks!

Guest guest

Hi ,

The 2010 SUMMER CAMP directory is put out by Education Service Center of Cuyahoga County. There PHONE NUMBER is 216-524-3000.

OR...I did go to the rec. fair and have a copy of the Directory. Plans for my child are in place so if you'd like to borrow my copy---please let me e-mail me and we can make arrangements for getting it to you.

Guest guest

I am looking for a recommended summer esy program for my 6 year old in kindergarten, with academics, therapy,fun and preferably inclusive peers as well. we usually go to broadmoor and have enjoyed it. i am considering other programs...does anyone know about camp sunshine in aurora, or champ camp/camp cheerful by achiev.centers....i am open to hearing positive and negative feedback--anyone try social skills camps thru kidslink?

lisa

In a message dated 3/11/2010 11:34:21 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, mystique2574@... writes:

Thank you everyone for pointing me in the right direction.. and , thanks for the offer of loaning your book to me.. I'm going to attempt to print this out today so if my printer decides to eat it.. I'll be contacting you I'm sure!Just another reason I really appreciate this group... :)>> Hi ,> > The 2010 SUMMER CAMP directory is put out by Education Service Center of > Cuyahoga County. There PHONE NUMBER is 216-524-3000.> > OR...I did go to the rec. fair and have a copy of the Directory. Plans for > my child are in place so if you'd like to borrow my copy---please let me > e-mail me and we can make arrangements for getting it to you.> > > > >

Guest guest

Also if anyone is interested in groups

near North Central Ohio (Erie and Huron Counties),

here is a list of summer camps/groups offered at Fisher

Titus Medical

Center in Norwalk, Ohio.

Any questions please let me know!

-Lindsey

Sent: Thursday, March 11, 2010

8:17 AM

Subject: Re: [ ] Summer

Camps?

Here is

info for Cuyahoga

County

http://esc-cc.org/public/bulletins.cfm?mode=story & story_id=57

Others can check with their State Support Team for their region

Best,

Sandee Winkelman

FISHER-TITUS MEDICAL CENTER

Recipient of

HealthGrades 2009 Outstanding Patient Experience Award

Modern Healthcare's Top 100 Best Places to Work in Healthcare in the US

Dually Accredited by

The Joint Commission and The American Osteopathic Association

CONFIDENTIALITY STATEMENT: This electronic message contains information from Fisher-Titus Medical Center and may be protected health information or other confidential and privileged information under law. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this message is prohibited. If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail or telephone at 419/668-8101.

Guest guest

thanks, i saw them at the fair...they are just kind of far if i recall from east side. it seems like there are no camps,save a couple out there that incorporate typical peers. I personally wish there were more opportunities for this for my child.

lisa

In a message dated 3/11/2010 1:50:54 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, basketdeals4u@... writes:

, We are going to do a program called Lakeshore Day Camp. I've never been before...my son is 6 and in kindergarten as well. I do know their primary focus is academics. The downside is there are no typical peers.

From: LandJPlatkoaol <LandJPlatkoaol>Subject: Re: [ ] Re: Summer Camps? Date: Thursday, March 11, 2010, 11:53 AM

I am looking for a recommended summer esy program for my 6 year old in kindergarten, with academics, therapy,fun and preferably inclusive peers as well. we usually go to broadmoor and have enjoyed it. i am considering other programs...does anyone know about camp sunshine in aurora, or champ camp/camp cheerful by achiev.centers. ...i am open to hearing positive and negative feedback--anyone try social skills camps thru kidslink?

lisa

In a message dated 3/11/2010 11:34:21 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, mystique2574 writes:

Thank you everyone for pointing me in the right direction.. and , thanks for the offer of loaning your book to me.. I'm going to attempt to print this out today so if my printer decides to eat it.. I'll be contacting you I'm sure!Just another reason I really appreciate this group... :)>> Hi ,> > The 2010 SUMMER CAMP directory is put out by Education Service Center of > Cuyahoga County. There PHONE NUMBER is 216-524-3000.> > OR...I did go to the rec. fair and have a copy of the Directory. Plans for > my child are in place so if you'd like to borrow my copy---please let me > e-mail me and we can make arrangements for getting it to you.> > > > >

Guest guest

Thank you everyone for pointing me in the right direction.. and ,

thanks for the offer of loaning your book to me.. I'm going to attempt to print

this out today so if my printer decides to eat it.. I'll be contacting you I'm

sure!

Just another reason I really appreciate this group... :)

>

> Hi ,

>

> The 2010 SUMMER CAMP directory is put out by Education Service Center of

> Cuyahoga County. There PHONE NUMBER is 216-524-3000.

>

> OR...I did go to the rec. fair and have a copy of the Directory. Plans for

> my child are in place so if you'd like to borrow my copy---please let me

> e-mail me and we can make arrangements for getting it to you.

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

,We are going to do a program called Lakeshore Day Camp. I've never been before...my son is 6 and in kindergarten as well. I do know their primary focus is academics. The downside is there are no typical peers.From: LandJPlatko@... <LandJPlatko@...>Subject: Re: [ ] Re: Summer Camps? Date: Thursday, March 11, 2010, 11:53 AM

I am looking for a recommended summer esy program for my 6 year old in kindergarten, with academics, therapy,fun and preferably inclusive peers as well. we usually go to broadmoor and have enjoyed it. i am considering other programs...does anyone know about camp sunshine in aurora, or champ camp/camp cheerful by achiev.centers. ...i am open to hearing positive and negative feedback--anyone try social skills camps thru kidslink?

lisa

In a message dated 3/11/2010 11:34:21 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, mystique2574 writes:

Guest guest

I wanted to quickly ask if there were others on that list or not on the list that take the autism scholarship.  We will have a little money left from that quarter and I would like to use it for camp but not one that would be like 3 grand, know what I mean?

Tara

On Mar 11, 2010 1:50 PM, " Amy " <basketdeals4u@...> wrote:

,We are going to do a program called Lakeshore Day Camp.  I've never been before...my son is 6 and in kindergarten as well.  I do know their primary focus is academics.  The downside is there are no typical peers.

From: LandJPlatko@... <LandJPlatko@...>Subject: Re: [ ] Re: Summer Camps?

Date: Thursday, March 11, 2010, 11:53 AM

>> I am looking for a recommended summer esy program for my 6 year old in kindergarten, with acade...

> In a message dated 3/11/2010 11:34:21 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, mystique2574 writes: 

>>>> Thank you everyone for pointing me in the right direction.. and , thanks for the offer ...>>

>> >>> > Hi ,>> > >> > The 20...

Guest guest

Camp Sunshine:

I know Brogan (parent) and Leah Gongola, PhD, director of Camp Sunshine and I have nothing but great things to say about them! I would email if you have questions leeseb@... or Leah at lgongola@.... It is a new camp but Leah has amazing training and skills with kids :-) Kidslink:

I know that Kidslink's services are ususally of very high quality also but I haven't gone to their summer camp.... I am sure that if you contact Sue at the office she may be able to hook you up with some parents who have done their summer camp. Sue Corp office manager scorp@...

Camp Cheerful/ACC:

We are gonna go with Camp Cheerful this year/sensational camp ---- the materials I have seen about the camp look amazing. They have high rope courses, horsebackriding, swimming and other outdoor activities. Camp cheerful is far.... but to it is so worth the drive.

The Achievement Centers also has a summer program on the east side --- but that's in a classroom. Time Fox is the contact for Camp Cheerful tim.fox@... and I am sure he could direct you to the right person for the East side program also.

Hope this helped some.

Pattison

National Autism Association - Northeast Ohio (NAA-NEO)

Helping Hand Program Manager

13111 Shaker Blvd Ste 210

Cleveland, OH 44120

E-mail: apattison@...

Phone: (216)544-1231

Web: www.autismnortheastohio.org

Join our group for periodic newsletters/events/resources postings about autism by emailing: NAA-NEOhio-subscribe

From: LandJPlatko@ aol.com <LandJPlatko@ aol.com>Subject: Re: [ ] Re: Summer Camps? @group s.comDate: Thursday, March 11, 2010, 11:53 AM

lisa

Guest guest

,The website for the camp that Brogan is heading up this year is www.campsunshine.bbnow.org  She has worked VERY hard at making this a great camp that combines IEP goals AND recreation.  This is their second year but 1st year using Dr. Gongola.  As a parent, she knows what our kiddos need.  Send her an email or give her a call.  She would be happy to talk to you.  They are working on fundraisers and donations to help defer the weekly cost which is the hardest part for most of us.

~~Tara~~