RemedySpot.com

Re: Pica anyone?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi,

I don't have any real answers for you but wanted to let you know that we have had our 10yr old tested for pica several times because all the " professionals " keep asking if he has pica.  He does not but seems to just have an oral sensory issue.  He loves dirt, mulch, leaves, pencil erasers and batting from the couch cushions!  He will even try to eat mud off his shoes.  YUK!  Oh and a sand box is like heaven to him.  We just try to avoid all situations that may look tempting to him since it is not pica.  Also, if you take away one item that may be tempting he will soon find another source of oral fixation.  Good luck

Tara

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 12:56:01 -0000, Bajornas wrote

> Hello,

> I am wondering if any parents or profressionals out there have any

> insight into what interventions are used at home with children who

> have pica disorder? This particuluar child with Autism/CP has a lot of

> sensory issues, including oral sensory, so it is hard to even

> distinguish if it is pica or just sensory, however, at times has been

> known to swallow items such as paper, dirt, leaves. The other factor

> hear is that he has a developmental delay, and his functioning ,in

> certain areas, is that of a 12 month old, where he explores things

> with his mouth. Any information or other links to info. could help!

> Thanks:)

> >

-- WOW! Homepage (http://www.wowway.com)

Hello,

My son has had been eating non-food items from about the age of 9 months. He started off chewing on the ends of diaper boxes, corners of board books etc. He has a tendency to eat a lot of non-food items, like thread, carpet fuzz, hair. Recently he started to chew on his t-shirts and rip thru them. Our OT had suggested a sensory issue and recommended using a NUK brush to massage his inner cheeks. The brushing did not make a lot difference. But, last week I attended the Bio-Medical Support Group Meeting where the speaker Shoemaker suggested this is a result of Zinc deficiency. Ironically a month ago I had gotten some gummy vitamins for my son with Zinc & Echinea to boost his immune system and my husband and I had noticed he was eating less off the floor.

Khalida Hasan

From: Bajornas <runerinleigh@...> Sent: Saturday, November 22, 2008 7:56:01 AMSubject: [ ] Pica anyone?

Hello,I am wondering if any parents or profressionals out there have anyinsight into what interventions are used at home with children whohave pica disorder? This particuluar child with Autism/CP has a lot ofsensory issues, including oral sensory, so it is hard to evendistinguish if it is pica or just sensory, however, at times has beenknown to swallow items such as paper, dirt, leaves. The other factorhear is that he has a developmental delay, and his functioning ,incertain areas, is that of a 12 month old, where he explores thingswith his mouth. Any information or other links to info. could help!Thanks:)