RemedySpot.com

101 Ways to handle Pain

Rate this topic

Guest guest

From NeuroTalk.com

101 Ideas to Empower Persons In Pain to Survive & Thrive! -

This list is so good, I truly hope it helps you all!!=20 Quote: 101 Ideas to Empower Persons In Pain to Survive & Thrive! As you all know, just getting through any day with =persistent pain is a challenge. These are easy-to-do, empowering tools and resources to help =you better manage your pain, improve your care and, ultimately, enhance =your quality of life. Remember to have fun-and seize the day! Self-Care Relaxation/Meditation 1. Seek out things that make you laugh-remember, laughter is =the best medicine! 2. Slow down-and breath deeply. 3. Use aromatherapy-relax to your favorite scents. 4. Meditate, with a group or by yourself. 5. Listen or make music (i.e., play a CD, sing or play an =instrument.) 6. Get a massage by a professional masseuse - or someone you =love. 7. Take a long bubble bath and light some candles. 8. Buy a bouquet of flowers to cheer up your surroundings! 9. Grow something-commune with Mother Nature! 10. Stir your imagination-imagine a pleasant experience, =moment, sensation. 11. Make or craft something (i.e., knit a scarf, do pottery, =build something, do woodworking, etc.) 12. Go to an outdoor concert, and don't forget to pack a =picnic. 13. Treat yourself to a manicure and/or pedicure. Be a Queen =for a day! 14. Explore an antique store-lose yourself among the =treasures. Cognitive/Mental Strategies 15. Practice mindfulness-be in the moment. 16. Try art therapy (i.e., paint or draw a picture that =shows how you feel!) 17. Use narrative therapy (i.e., write your pain =experience.) 18. Keep a gratitude/affirmation log (write down three =things you're grateful for each day.) 19. When depression and/or anxiety hits, don't fight it. =Know it's a part of the natural pain experience. But don't hold on for =too long. 20. Accept that everything you're feeling is real and =normal. 21. Take a class, learn something new-and stimulate your =mind! 22. Wear a bright color-they excite the senses! 23. Reflect upon affirming, positive memories. 24. Read a great book-or a breezy romance novel. 25. Express your true and authentic self. You're the only =you! 26. Think positive, affirming things about yourself. 27. Take a trip, even if it's a virtual one. 28. Seek support through a professional pain counselor. 29. Make a change and surprise yourself (i.e., get a new =haircut, try a new recipe, etc.) 30. Get dressed up and put your make-up on, just because it =makes you feel good! 31. Keep a positive attitude, hang in there and keep the =faith! 32. Practice appreciation for your healthcare providers-more =often than not, they're trying their best to help. 33. On a bad day, remember what Scarlet O'Hara said, ="Tomorrow is another day!"=20 34. Notice and appreciate the splendor season changes. 35. Learn a foreign language.or two! Exercise that part of =the brain that doesn't read pain signals. 36. Choose something you love, and do it every week, same =day and time. A joyful routine gives you something sweet to look forward =to. 37. Don't let your pain define you. Remember that while pain =is now a part of your life experience, it's not your identity. Care of the Body 38. Exercise regularly and keep your body moving. =Hydrotherapy in warm water is especially effective with pain conditions. 39. Eat a healthy diet (fruits, vegetables, lean meats, =etc.) 40. Avoid or quit smoking! 41. Practice good sleep habits-enjoy waking up refreshed and =renewed. 42. Be open to alternative and complimentary therapies =(i.e., acupuncture, guided imagery, etc.) 43. Have realistic expectations about therapies (i.e., have =you given your physical therapy regimen enough time to help?) 44. Educate yourself about your pain condition. But don't =obsess and let it consume you. 45. Listen to your body talk-you know it better than anyone =else! 46. Learn to say "no"-avoid stress by not =over-burdening/committing yourself. 47. Spend time in the sun-and don't forget that =all-important sun block! 48. Practice good posture. A well-aligned and supported =spine is virtually guaranteed to help any pain condition. Relationships 49. Do something nice for someone-it feels good, and that =energy is sure to come back your way. 50. Learn to forgive those who have disappointed you =throughout your pain experience; anger is further fuel for pain! 51. Adopt a pet. Unconditional love is good for the soul. 52. Give someone a hug-who knows, you might just get two =back! 53. Volunteer for your favorite charity, school or =organization. Doing good is chicken soup for the soul! 54. Throw yourself a party. Celebrate an accomplishment with =family and friends! 55. Get involved in your community (i.e., attend =neighborhood council meetings, help plan a block party, etc.) 56. Seek out fellow chronic pain sufferers through on-line =discussion boards and support groups at medical centers. These bonds =could last a lifetime. 57. Don't forget about lovemaking with your partner. =Intimacy is second to none to revive the soul and senses! 58. Spend quality time with a child or children (yours, =nieces or nephews, etc.)-they'll help you see the world with eyes of =wonder! 59. Have an afternoon tea with some girlfriends. 60. Accept an invitation to a party or other social event, =even if you're in pain. It's great misdirection-and you'll probably find =yourself having a dandy time! 61. Be open to talking to family and friends about your pain =experience-and answering their naturally inquisitive questions. If =they're curious, they probably care. Try not to shut them out. 62. Remove toxic people from your life-as stress and strain =that comes from bad relationships makes pain worse. It's appropriate to =walk away from inappropriate people! Assertiveness 63. Remember it's your body-and ultimately all possible =treatment options are your choice. 64. Be prepared for your doctor visits (i.e., have questions =ready, be educated about your pain condition(s), etc.) 65. Partner with your doctor. You'll get better pain care =results if you work as a team. Find a good advocate at your health insurance company. 66. Bring a family member or friend with you when you go to =a doctor's appointment. They can advocate for you-and it's good for your =doctor to know someone cares and is watching out for you. 67. Examine and weigh your therapy options-the biggest ="guns" may not be the answer for you. 68. Don't let your doctor pressure you into a therapy that =you don't want to do! 69. Interview your pain management provider (i.e., What kind =of therapies do you support for my condition?, Are you open to =alternative/complimentary therapies?, etc.) 70. Remember, one size doesn't fit all when it comes to pain =treatments. We're all unique-and what helps one person may not help =another. 71. Seek out references with any doctor referral (i.e., talk =to other patients, look up his/her standing with the state medical =board, etc.) 72. Make sure your treating healthcare professional is =assessing your pain level during each visit-remember, pain assessment is ="the fifth vital sign." 73. Find out if your hospital and/or clinic has a "Patient's =Bill of Rights"-and if so, make sure your treating healthcare =professionals are following it. 74. Learn about the potential side effects of any and all =medications you are considering or presently taking. Sometimes their =adverse side effects can create more harm than the problem you're taking =the medication(s) for. 75. Run-don't walk!-from any physician or other healthcare =professional who doubts, dismisses and/or discounts your report of pain! 76. Encourage your family and friends to educate themselves =about your pain condition(s) (i.e., provide them with website resources, =articles, etc.) 77. Educate yourself about all of your therapy/treatment =options (including complimentary and alternative choices)-this will =enable you to make the best, most informed decisions about your pain =management care. Clinical Advice 78. Using a rating scale such as 0 to10 (0 =3D no pain, 10 ==3D worst pain) is a useful way to communicate your pain to others and =assess changes in your own pain. 79. Use the rating scale to rate how much relief you are =receiving. For example, if your pain therapy relieves your pain from a ="10" to a "7", this is a good step. But knowing your pain is a "7" =should suggest that you still require additional help. 80. Prevention of pain is key. Anticipate things that bring =your pain on (exhaustion, dehydration, stress, etc.) and make every =attempt to prevent pain versus responding only when it happens. 81. When taking pain medication, always consider what =non-drug treatment you could use along with it. Using =heat/cold/massage/relaxation can diminish anxiety and distract you from =the pain until the medication can begin working. 82. Discover accurate and effective words to describe your =pain (i.e., burning, stabbing, aching, pins and needles, electrical, =throbbing, etc.) to help your healthcare provider with diagnosis and =treatment. 83. For chronic pain problems, it is generally better to =take medications on a regular, around-the-clock schedule rather than =only on a "prn"/as needed basis only when pain is severe. 84. Fortunately, there are many choices of analgesics (be it =traditional, complementary or alternative)-so if a particular pain =therapy that has been prescribed doesn't work or causes side-effects, =ask to try another. 85. In general for chronic pain, long-lasting medications =are preferred to offer several hours of undisturbed sleep or activity. 86. If your doctor prescribes physical therapy, be sure to =find a therapist you have a repore with. Explain your symptoms =carefully, and go over your doctor's report together. Also be sure to =immediately alert your therapist to any pain you're experiencing as a =result of a therapy exercise. 87. "Breakthrough pain" is pain that occurs in episodes =between doses of medications. Discuss this with your physician to =determine if breakthrough medications are needed. 88. Inactivity or decreased function is a major problem in =chronic pain and results in muscle weakness, dependence, depression-and =this cycle only worsens over time. Try to maintain activity if at all =possible. 89. Depression and anxiety are generally an integral part of =the pain experience-and can become severe. Don't hesitate to tell your =pain management provider about these feelings and indeed ask for a =referral for a support group and/or psychologist. Your doctor should =know psychologists who specialize in pain. Web-based Resources 90. Check out The Intractable Pain Patient's Handbook for =Survival by Dr. Forrest Tennent. Download a copy here: =http://pain-topics.org/pdf/IntractablePainSurvival.pdf 91. Here's a wonderful resource to help the people who care =about you. Surviving a Loved One's Chronic Pain by Kannerstein, =PhD and M. Whitman, MD. Download a copy =[http://www.ppmjournal.com/PDFs/PPM_J...annerstein.pdf 92. Here's a great, up-to-date resource about pain =medications! American Chronic Pain Association's 2007 Medication & =Chronic Pain Supplement. Download a copy =http://www.theacpa.org/documents/ACPA%20Me...007%20Final.pdf 93. Get educated and informed about your pain condition(s)! =Pain Information Library sponsored by the American Pain Foundation. =http://www.painfoundation.org/page.asp?fil...brary/Index.htm 94. Go to the American Chronic Pain Association's website =and read their "Ten Steps from Patient to Person" =http://www.theacpa.org/pf_02_04.asp 95. Review For Grace's "Women In Pain Bill of Rights" to get =a better understanding of what you should expect in your patient/doctor =relationship.=20 96. Go the National Pain Foundation's "My Journey" section =and find links to patient support groups throughout the US:=20 http://www.nationalpainfoundation.org/MySu...nkDirectory.asp 97. Go to PainTopics.org's website and find an excellent =section on pain patient resources, tools and information: =http://pain-topics.org/patient_resou...2.php#chronic1 98. Download a notebook from the American Pain Foundation to =journal your pain experience: =http://www.painfoundation.org/Publications/Notebook.pdf 99. Visit Pain.com and see their full array of consumer =support tools and forms: =http://www.pain.com/sections/consumers/pai...ort/pain_tools/ 100.Become a member of American Pain Foundation's thriving =on-line PainAid community. Take the first step =http://painaid.painfoundation.org/ 101.Power Over Pain is a grassroots movement that encourages =those in pain to become advocates in their own communities. Join the =charge to put pain on the map as a major health issue: =http://www.painfoundation.org/poweroverpai...ile=3Dnetwork.htm =20