Wake Up Time!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Ah, even in allopathic medicine, people are waking up! :-) Blessings, Joy

From LA Downtown News.com

Body Shop

Balancing Your Body's Nutrients Minimizing Side Effects of Modern Medicine

Dr. .

by Dr. Meet Jo Beth. She is your typical high-powered executive, with little time to waste and a noticeable sense of urgency. Sensing this, I worked quickly to fill her antibiotic prescription. But as I reviewed the dosing instructions, I could see a look of concern come over here face. "Is everything okay?" I asked.She replied, "Well, I'm not looking forward to the side effects that I usually get with this one."What Jo Beth and most people don't realize is that many often prescribed prescription drugs can cause nutrient depletions, among them CoQ10, folic acid, magnesium, zinc and probiotics. While such depletions are common, suffering as a result of them needn't be. Repleting these nutrients with appropriate supplements and diet can make a significant difference in your treatment outcome.Let's start with CoQ10. You've probably heard a lot about this one lately. So what is it and what does it do? The body naturally makes CoQ10, an enzyme responsible for much of our body's energy production.Drugs for high cholesterol (Lipitor, Zocor, Crestor) are the most common group to decrease CoQ10. Decreased levels may cause some of the muscular side effects of these drugs. Some anti-diabetic drugs, certain antidepressants and heart drugs also deplete CoQ10.

Organ meats (liver and kidneys) and seafood provide some dietary CoQ10. But it is impossible to get enough from diet and usually requires supplementing at least 100 mg per day.Folic acid deficiency is one of the most common vitamin deficiencies. As many of us are aware, folic acid is best known for its role in preventing certain birth defects, heart disease and stroke. NSAIDs (Motrin, Aleve), corticosteroids (prednisone) and oral contraceptives are some of the drugs that deplete this nutrient.Foods high in folic acid are liver, beans and fortified breakfast cereals. Most multivitamins and B-complex formulas contain about 100 mcg of folic acid. Supplementing with 400 mcg would be more effective for repleting this nutrient.Did you know that magnesium deficiency is another common dietary deficiency? Although not as recognized compared to calcium, it is important for many reactions that occur in our bodies and for development of strong bones and teeth. Magnesium deficiency can lead to osteoporosis, heart problems, muscle cramps and constipation. Some drugs that deplete magnesium include oral contraceptives, oral estrogens (Premarin) and diuretics (Lasix).

Foods high in magnesium include spinach, whole grains and nuts. The amount of magnesium to supplement depends on your total calcium intake. There is a delicate ratio required to keep these friends in balance.And let's not forget about zinc. It acts as an enzyme for many reactions in our bodies, is necessary for the production of many hormones and supports the immune system. Drugs that deplete this nutrient include ACE inhibitors (Altace, lisinopril), diuretics (Lasix) and H-2 blockers (Pepcid, Zantac).Seafood (oysters), eggs and meat are the best dietary sources of zinc. Zinc can be supplemented at doses starting at 30 mg a day.But now back to Jo Beth. Trying to reassure her, I suggested she try some probiotics while taking her antibiotic. "What's that?" she asked."Probiotics replace the good bacteria in your gut that are killed off while on antibiotics. Many of the side effects (gas, diarrhea and yeast infections) from antibiotics are caused by the imbalance of good and bad bacteria." I could see she was relieved there was an alternative to her previous experience.Foods rich in probiotics include yogurt and fermented cheeses. But it is difficult to obtain enough probiotics for health benefits from dietary sources alone. To prevent antibiotic-associated side effects, high doses may be required.About a week later, Jo Beth stopped by with a smile to say thanks. She also asked about purchasing other supplements but was hesitant about the long-term cost. Luckily, I had another suggestion for her."Let me tell you about a cost-effective option to purchase your supplements. Use your flex plan! It's simple. Just have your prescriber write a prescription for your supplements and then purchase them on your flex plan. What a great way to utilize your flex plan dollars so you don't lose them at the end of the year." I could tell Jo Beth liked what she was hearing.If you feel you may benefit from nutrient repletion or want to learn more about purchasing supplements on your flex plan, please stop by Uptown Drug and Gift Shop to discuss your needs with a pharmacist.Dr. is a part-time pharmacist at Uptown Drug & Gift Shop (444 S. Flower St., Suite 100, (213) 612-4300). She is currently working on certifications in integrative nutrition and as a master herbalist. She welcomes any questions at drgonzel@....Body Shop