My First Aspirin Desensitization -- Looking for Feedback

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I had the aspirin desensitization done during the week of Oct. 27

2008, just over a month ago. During the challenge I no respiratory

issue, but did experience hives on my face, hands, pen*s, and feet. I

also had a lot of facial and joint swelling. These symptoms continued

over the course of a month and have done so even though my dosage was

recently reduced to 650 mg/day from 1300 mg.

I still have all the same symptoms as before and quite frankly feel

worse! Not to mention I am a walking zombie with all the Benadryl I am

forced to take. Simply to cope with the swelling and hives.

-- At what point will I know if the challenge works? It could take

years for the human body to become desensitized.

-- Have others experienced the same type of symptoms post challenge?

-- How many of you feel like there is a constant lump in your throat?

Hi Todd, Just wondering - where did you have this desens procedure done? Your reaction sounds different to many of us here who mainly had respiritory reactions - ie sudden onset of wheezing and facial swelling and for me my nasal and sinus lining swelled and my ears too so they were very uncomfortable and ringing. Do you get a puffy face with all this? I did when I was on a dose that wasn't high enough -during the desens process. i do feel for you with having the hives as I get them too and I HATE them - they are the worst aspect of this illness, and my consultant refuses to believe they are part of the same condition. The joint swelling is all part of the hives (IMO as I get that with hives too) What has your Dr said about all this? Usually people are desens to 600mg+ and anything under 600mg may not be enough to

desens. Regards BeckyTodd Henry <todd.henry@...> wrote: I had the aspirin desensitization done during the week of Oct. 272008, just over a month ago. During the challenge I no respiratoryissue, but did experience hives on my face, hands, pen*s, and feet. Ialso had a lot of facial and joint swelling. These symptoms continuedover the course of a month and have done so even though my dosage wasrecently reduced to 650 mg/day from 1300 mg.I still have all the

same symptoms as before and quite frankly feelworse! Not to mention I am a walking zombie with all the Benadryl I amforced to take. Simply to cope with the swelling and hives.-- At what point will I know if the challenge works? It could takeyears for the human body to become desensitized.-- Have others experienced the same type of symptoms post challenge?-- How many of you feel like there is a constant lump in your throat?

Becky,

Thank you for the reply. I had the desens done at Maine Medical Center

in Portland, Maine. The procedure was written up (I assume) by my

allergist who has experience with the process.

I also found it odd that I didn't have any respiratory reactions

during the desens. However, I did have an onset of wheezing and asthma

related symptoms when I was first diagnosed with the allergy over 10

years ago.

Yes, during and after the desens I've had a puffy face. Some days it

looks like someone punched me a few times in my right eye and bottom

lip. As a matter-of-fact that's why I initially posted. Early Saturday

morning I woke up around 1:20 am. My throat had swollen (like I had a

lump in my throat), bottom was swollen, and I had the hives. Thinking

back, I was doing better at the 1300mg dosage.

My doctor hasn't said much about it, other than I was put on a five

day dose of prednisone and was told to take zyrtec at night for the

hives. I intend on calling the office tomorrow to report what's been

happening, because I personally don't think the dosage is right.

As for the hives, it's nice to hear that someone out there shares my

same symptoms -- Sorry! In regards to the hives, my wife for years has

said my hives were related to a " stress-effect " and my naturopathic

doctor is addressing LGS (Leaky Gut Syndrome). I mean I think we are

hitting on all areas of the condition. Do you only get hives on your

hands & feet? The naturopath says this is common, because they are

highly sensitive areas of the body (nerve endings).

I found an interesting website and quote over at Ask Dr. Stoll:

http://askwaltstollmd.com/index.php.

" Dr Stoll most often suggests self-hypnosis as the most effective cure

for chronic hives. As evidence for this approach, he often suggests

that people read Mind as Healer, Mind as Slayer by Pelletier. Of

course, ALLERGY is part and parcel of this condition. Fortunately, the

same thing that gets rid of stress-effect storage deals with the LGS

that causes nearly all allergy. "

I also found this archive of forum posts:

http://askwaltstollmd.com/archives/hives.html

Any thoughts?

Todd, Having the puffy face indicates that you are not desens at that level. If you up your dose then this should eventually go, and when all your swelling is gone (puffy face and lump in your throat) that means you are desens. This happened with mew. I was desens in Cambridge, UK and my dose was upped every week, so I was on 61mg for 1 week, then 350 for a few weeks and this was awful for me as I was not fully desensed so I had the swollen face and throat and itchy ears, and asthma flare-ups, and also exhaustion, then I went up to 600mg and I'm totaly fine on this dose. I still need all my other meds including prednisolone, but I am generally better for being desensitised. I remember now that I had a swollen throat too - that was my first symptom along with itchy ears (on the inside). I get the hives especially on my hands and feet but also a patch on my face, all over my

legs and especially my ankles,thighs and bum - so delightful!! I wish I knew exactly what triggers them - sometimes I think it is immunity-related as they often start before I get a cold or other bug that my immune system has to fight. What is leaky gut syndrome? Regards, BeckyTodd Henry <nobulk@...> wrote: Becky,Thank you for the reply. I had the desens done at Maine Medical Centerin Portland, Maine. The procedure was written up (I

assume) by myallergist who has experience with the process.I also found it odd that I didn't have any respiratory reactionsduring the desens. However, I did have an onset of wheezing and asthmarelated symptoms when I was first diagnosed with the allergy over 10years ago.Yes, during and after the desens I've had a puffy face. Some days itlooks like someone punched me a few times in my right eye and bottomlip. As a matter-of-fact that's why I initially posted. Early Saturdaymorning I woke up around 1:20 am. My throat had swollen (like I had alump in my throat), bottom was swollen, and I had the hives. Thinkingback, I was doing better at the 1300mg dosage.My doctor hasn't said much about it, other than I was put on a fiveday dose of prednisone and was told to take zyrtec at night for thehives. I intend on calling the office tomorrow to report what's beenhappening, because I personally don't think the

dosage is right.As for the hives, it's nice to hear that someone out there shares mysame symptoms -- Sorry! In regards to the hives, my wife for years hassaid my hives were related to a "stress-effect" and my naturopathicdoctor is addressing LGS (Leaky Gut Syndrome). I mean I think we arehitting on all areas of the condition. Do you only get hives on yourhands & feet? The naturopath says this is common, because they arehighly sensitive areas of the body (nerve endings).I found an interesting website and quote over at Ask Dr. Stoll:http://askwaltstollmd.com/index.php."Dr Stoll most often suggests self-hypnosis as the most effective curefor chronic hives. As evidence for this approach, he often suggeststhat people read Mind as Healer, Mind as Slayer by Pelletier. Ofcourse, ALLERGY is part and parcel of this condition. Fortunately, thesame thing

that gets rid of stress-effect storage deals with the LGSthat causes nearly all allergy."I also found this archive of forum posts:http://askwaltstollmd.com/archives/hives.htmlAny thoughts?