• 3 years later...

I attended my local clinic last week - unable to go to my family

doctor due to all the snow we've had here in Vancouver. I had a very

painful sinus infection. The doctor who saw me didn't know of Samters

- what's new!- and after I explained he prescribed Co Azithromycin as

I am allergic to penicillin.

Came out in a horrible red itchy rash so returned to the clinic -

again because of the snow - and saw another doctor. Explained samters

again and now on Ran-Ciproflox for 2 weeks.

This increasing allergy level is worring me - I seem to be cascading

and becoming allergic to one thing after another. Is anyone else

experiencing this? It is scaring me.

Happy and healthy New Year to all

Maggie

Being allergic to both penicillins and macrolides (the family to which azythromycin belongs) would certainly restrict antibiotics options in case of infection. Of course, there are still other families (like quinolones such as cipro and a few others), but it's a pity to miss macrolides, because they are quite useful and -generally- well tolerated. Might be worth checking if you have a real macrolide intolerance, or if it is just a case of interaction with some other drug, etc.If I may make a suggestion, you could see a good allergologist just to

check out if you have a real macrolide intolerance, and if it is only

to azythromycin or to all macrolides - maybe you could still tolerate

other macrolides - so that in case of a new infection, you would be

able to tell the doctor which antibiotics should really be avoided and

which ones would still be available.You might also review other drugs you may be taking to check for

interaction with macrolides (for example on :

http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html).You also said that you follow a salicylate elimination diet ; now, I have strictly no basis to suspect it, but would that exacerbate/create other allergies by modifying their reaction threshold ? Personally, I would not try a salicylate elimination diet, but rather a moderate-salicylate-diet. Now, of course, everyone of us may differ more or less in regard to salicylate sensitivity.It has been recently discovered that humans can synthetize salicylic acid from benzoic acid (see below), and what if (pure speculation) the human body boosted endogenous SA synthesis when it is deprived of dietary sources of SA but still has sufficient benzoic acid to manufacture it ? Finally, even if it is difficult to find a doctor willing to try it, aspirin desens might be an option. Do note however that a salicylate-exclusion diet is likely to make you more sensitive to ASA and therefore react much more strongly to low doses in the beginning.A Happy New Year to you and to everyone here too !-----------ABSTRACT-----------New Evidence That Humans Make Aspirin's Active Principle -- Salicylic Acid

ScienceDaily (Dec. 26, 2008)

— Scientists in the United Kingdom are reporting new evidence that

humans can make their own salicylic acid (SA) — the material formed

when aspirin breaks down in the body. SA, which is responsible for

aspirin's renowned effects in relieving pain and inflammation, may be

the first in a new class of bioregulators, according to a new study.

In the report, Gwendoline Baxter, Ph.D. and colleagues discuss how

their past research revealed that SA exists in the blood of people who

have not recently taken aspirin. Vegetarians had much higher levels,

almost matching those in patients taking low doses of aspirin. Based on

those findings, the researchers previously concluded that this

endogenous SA came from the diet, since SA is a natural substance found

in fruits and vegetables.

Now the group reports on studies of changes in SA levels in

volunteers who took benzoic acid, a substance also found naturally in

fruits and vegetables that the body could potentially use to make SA.

Their goal was to determine whether the SA found in humans (and other

animals) results solely from consumption of fruits and vegetables, or

whether humans produce their own SA as a natural agent to fight

inflammation and disease. The results reported in the study suggest

that people do manufacture SA.

"It is, we suspect, increasingly likely that SA is a

biopharmaceutical with a central, broadly defensive role in animals as

well as plants," they state. "This simple organic chemical is, we

propose, likely to become increasingly recognized as an animal

bioregulator, perhaps in a class of its own."

Journal reference:

Paterson et al. Salicylic Acid sans Aspirin in Animals and Man: Persistence in Fasting and Biosynthesis from Benzoic Acid. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 2008; 56 (24): 11648 DOI: 10.1021/jf800974z>> I attended my local clinic last week - unable to go to my family> doctor due to all the snow we've had here in Vancouver. I had a very> painful sinus infection. The doctor who saw me didn't know of Samters> - what's new!- and after I explained he prescribed Co Azithromycin as> I am allergic to penicillin.> Came out in a horrible red itchy rash so returned to the clinic -> again because of the snow - and saw another doctor. Explained samters> again and now on Ran-Ciproflox for 2 weeks.> This increasing allergy level is worring me - I seem to be cascading> and becoming allergic to one thing after another. Is anyone else> experiencing this? It is scaring me.> Happy and healthy New Year to all> Maggie>

Hi asfysothanks for responding. I generally follow a very low sals diet eating mostly from the negligalbe list with a few items from low and moderate lists so not totally sals free. I find that if I do that I can splash out every now and again without serious side effects.I need to find an allergist who will desens me to aspirin but this is proving difficult.My increasing allergies started before I restricted my sals. intake so don't see a connection there.Thanks againMAGGIEsamters From: asfyso@...Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 21:40:28 +0000Subject: Re: anti-biotics

Being allergic to both penicillins and macrolides (the family to which azythromycin belongs) would certainly restrict antibiotics options in case of infection. Of course, there are still other families (like quinolones such as cipro and a few others), but it's a pity to miss macrolides, because they are quite useful and -generally- well tolerated. Might be worth checking if you have a real macrolide intolerance, or if it is just a case of interaction with some other drug, etc.If I may make a suggestion, you could see a good allergologist just to

check out if you have a real macrolide intolerance, and if it is only

to azythromycin or to all macrolides - maybe you could still tolerate

other macrolides - so that in case of a new infection, you would be

able to tell the doctor which antibiotics should really be avoided and

which ones would still be available.You might also review other drugs you may be taking to check for

interaction with macrolides (for example on :

http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html).You also said that you follow a salicylate elimination diet ; now, I have strictly no basis to suspect it, but would that exacerbate/create other allergies by modifying their reaction threshold ? Personally, I would not try a salicylate elimination diet, but rather a moderate-salicylate-diet. Now, of course, everyone of us may differ more or less in regard to salicylate sensitivity.It has been recently discovered that humans can synthetize salicylic acid from benzoic acid (see below), and what if (pure speculation) the human body boosted endogenous SA synthesis when it is deprived of dietary sources of SA but still has sufficient benzoic acid to manufacture it ? Finally, even if it is difficult to find a doctor willing to try it, aspirin desens might be an option. Do note however that a salicylate-exclusion diet is likely to make you more sensitive to ASA and therefore react much more strongly to low doses in the beginning.A Happy New Year to you and to everyone here too !-----------ABSTRACT-----------New Evidence That Humans Make Aspirin's Active Principle -- Salicylic Acid

ScienceDaily (Dec. 26, 2008)

— Scientists in the United Kingdom are reporting new evidence that

humans can make their own salicylic acid (SA) — the material formed

when aspirin breaks down in the body. SA, which is responsible for

aspirin's renowned effects in relieving pain and inflammation, may be

the first in a new class of bioregulators, according to a new study.

In the report, Gwendoline Baxter, Ph.D. and colleagues discuss how

their past research revealed that SA exists in the blood of people who

have not recently taken aspirin. Vegetarians had much higher levels,

almost matching those in patients taking low doses of aspirin. Based on

those findings, the researchers previously concluded that this

endogenous SA came from the diet, since SA is a natural substance found

in fruits and vegetables.

Now the group reports on studies of changes in SA levels in

volunteers who took benzoic acid, a substance also found naturally in

fruits and vegetables that the body could potentially use to make SA.

Their goal was to determine whether the SA found in humans (and other

animals) results solely from consumption of fruits and vegetables, or

whether humans produce their own SA as a natural agent to fight

inflammation and disease. The results reported in the study suggest

that people do manufacture SA.

"It is, we suspect, increasingly likely that SA is a

biopharmaceutical with a central, broadly defensive role in animals as

well as plants," they state. "This simple organic chemical is, we

propose, likely to become increasingly recognized as an animal

bioregulator, perhaps in a class of its own."

Journal reference:

Paterson et al. Salicylic Acid sans Aspirin in Animals and Man: Persistence in Fasting and Biosynthesis from Benzoic Acid. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 2008; 56 (24): 11648 DOI: 10.1021/jf800974z>> I attended my local clinic last week - unable to go to my family> doctor due to all the snow we've had here in Vancouver. I had a very> painful sinus infection. The doctor who saw me didn't know of Samters> - what's new!- and after I explained he prescribed Co Azithromycin as> I am allergic to penicillin.> Came out in a horrible red itchy rash so returned to the clinic -> again because of the snow - and saw another doctor. Explained samters> again and now on Ran-Ciproflox for 2 weeks.> This increasing allergy level is worring me - I seem to be cascading> and becoming allergic to one thing after another. Is anyone else> experiencing this? It is scaring me.> Happy and healthy New Year to all> Maggie>

Win a trip with your 3 best buddies. Enter today.

Maggie,

I can so relate. I went through aspirin desens. a year and a half ago. I felt much better for about 8 months. Now, I am suddenly in a state of reacting to every allergen that floats my way. I work in an elementary school and the building is around 60 years old. I swear there is a mold problem. The kids I work with are often sick. I put an expensive ionizer in my classroom, but it has not helped. I have been sick with a chronic sinus infection since early September. Like Christy, I am worried about being on my 3rd course of Prednisone since early September. If you read my recent post to Christy you will see that I am going through allergy food testing in hopes of removing food allergies which would hopefully boost my immune system. However, I am not optimistic, only because I have never found the one thing that might really work. Best of

luck.

Jane

From: Maggie <maggieuig1@...>Subject: anti-bioticssamters Date: Sunday, December 28, 2008, 12:48 PM

I attended my local clinic last week - unable to go to my familydoctor due to all the snow we've had here in Vancouver. I had a verypainful sinus infection. The doctor who saw me didn't know of Samters- what's new!- and after I explained he prescribed Co Azithromycin asI am allergic to penicillin.Came out in a horrible red itchy rash so returned to the clinic -again because of the snow - and saw another doctor. Explained samtersagain and now on Ran-Ciproflox for 2 weeks.This increasing allergy level is worring me - I seem to be cascadingand becoming allergic to one thing after another. Is anyone elseexperiencing this? It is scaring me.Happy and healthy New Year to allMaggie

What type of antibiotics fall under the Macrolide medications?

Jane

From: asfyso <asfyso@...>Subject: Re: anti-bioticssamters Date: Sunday, December 28, 2008, 2:40 PM

Being allergic to both penicillins and macrolides (the family to which azythromycin belongs) would certainly restrict antibiotics options in case of infection. Of course, there are still other families (like quinolones such as cipro and a few others), but it's a pity to miss macrolides, because they are quite useful and -generally- well tolerated. Might be worth checking if you have a real macrolide intolerance, or if it is just a case of interaction with some other drug, etc.If I may make a suggestion, you could see a good allergologist just to check out if you have a real macrolide intolerance, and if it is only to azythromycin or to all macrolides - maybe you could still tolerate other macrolides - so that in case of a new infection, you would be able to tell the doctor which antibiotics should really be avoided and which ones would still be available.You might also review other drugs you may be taking to check for interaction

with macrolides (for example on : http://www.drugs. com/drug_ interactions. html).You also said that you follow a salicylate elimination diet ; now, I have strictly no basis to suspect it, but would that exacerbate/create other allergies by modifying their reaction threshold ? Personally, I would not try a salicylate elimination diet, but rather a moderate-salicylate -diet. Now, of course, everyone of us may differ more or less in regard to salicylate sensitivity.It has been recently discovered that humans can synthetize salicylic acid from benzoic acid (see below), and what if (pure speculation) the human body boosted endogenous SA synthesis when it is deprived of dietary sources of SA but still has sufficient benzoic acid to manufacture it ? Finally, even if it is difficult to find a doctor willing to try it, aspirin desens might be an option. Do note however that a salicylate-exclusio n diet is likely to make you more

sensitive to ASA and therefore react much more strongly to low doses in the beginning.A Happy New Year to you and to everyone here too !-----------ABSTRACT-----------

New Evidence That Humans Make Aspirin's Active Principle -- Salicylic Acid

ScienceDaily (Dec. 26, 2008) — Scientists in the United Kingdom are reporting new evidence that humans can make their own salicylic acid (SA) — the material formed when aspirin breaks down in the body. SA, which is responsible for aspirin's renowned effects in relieving pain and inflammation, may be the first in a new class of bioregulators, according to a new study.

In the report, Gwendoline Baxter, Ph.D. and colleagues discuss how their past research revealed that SA exists in the blood of people who have not recently taken aspirin. Vegetarians had much higher levels, almost matching those in patients taking low doses of aspirin. Based on those findings, the researchers previously concluded that this endogenous SA came from the diet, since SA is a natural substance found in fruits and vegetables.

Now the group reports on studies of changes in SA levels in volunteers who took benzoic acid, a substance also found naturally in fruits and vegetables that the body could potentially use to make SA. Their goal was to determine whether the SA found in humans (and other animals) results solely from consumption of fruits and vegetables, or whether humans produce their own SA as a natural agent to fight inflammation and disease. The results reported in the study suggest that people do manufacture SA.

"It is, we suspect, increasingly likely that SA is a biopharmaceutical with a central, broadly defensive role in animals as well as plants," they state. "This simple organic chemical is, we propose, likely to become increasingly recognized as an animal bioregulator, perhaps in a class of its own."

Journal reference:

Paterson et al. Salicylic Acid sans Aspirin in Animals and Man: Persistence in Fasting and Biosynthesis from Benzoic Acid. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 2008; 56 (24): 11648 DOI: 10.1021/jf800974z>> I attended my local clinic last week - unable to go to my family> doctor due to all the snow we've had here in Vancouver. I had a very> painful sinus infection. The doctor who saw me didn't know of Samters> - what's new!- and after I explained he prescribed Co Azithromycin as> I am allergic to penicillin.> Came out in a horrible red itchy rash so returned to the clinic -> again because of the snow - and saw another doctor. Explained samters> again and now on Ran-Ciproflox for 2

weeks.> This increasing allergy level is worring me - I seem to be cascading> and becoming allergic to one thing after another. Is anyone else> experiencing this? It is scaring me.> Happy and healthy New Year to all> Maggie>

Hello Jane,

I think I read somewhere that even very low levels of fungal spores can

trigger reactions if one is sufficiently allergic. Have you tried using

a portable HEPA filtration device in your classroom instead of an

ionizer ?

>

> From: Maggie maggieuig1@...

> Subject: anti-biotics

> samters

> Date: Sunday, December 28, 2008, 12:48 PM

>

>

>

>

>

>

> I attended my local clinic last week - unable to go to my family

> doctor due to all the snow we've had here in Vancouver. I had a very

> painful sinus infection. The doctor who saw me didn't know of Samters

> - what's new!- and after I explained he prescribed Co Azithromycin as

> I am allergic to penicillin.

> Came out in a horrible red itchy rash so returned to the clinic -

> again because of the snow - and saw another doctor. Explained samters

> again and now on Ran-Ciproflox for 2 weeks.

> This increasing allergy level is worring me - I seem to be cascading

> and becoming allergic to one thing after another. Is anyone else

> experiencing this? It is scaring me.

> Happy and healthy New Year to all

> Maggie

>

Hi there. I haven't tried a Heppa filter exclusively. I use the old Sharper Image "Ionic Breeze" in my home and classroom. I'm not sure whether there is a Heppa component or not. I can research where I can get a Heppafilter, but if anyone out there is using one that works well, I'd love to get that information.

Jane

From: asfyso <asfyso@...>Subject: Re: anti-bioticssamters Date: Monday, December 29, 2008, 1:50 PM

Hello Jane,I think I read somewhere that even very low levels of fungal spores cantrigger reactions if one is sufficiently allergic. Have you tried usinga portable HEPA filtration device in your classroom instead of anionizer ?>> From: Maggie maggieuig1@. ..> Subject: anti-biotics> samters@groups .com> Date: Sunday, December 28, 2008, 12:48 PM>>>>>>> I attended my local clinic last week - unable to go to my family> doctor due to all the snow we've had here in Vancouver. I had a very> painful sinus infection. The

doctor who saw me didn't know of Samters> - what's new!- and after I explained he prescribed Co Azithromycin as> I am allergic to penicillin.> Came out in a horrible red itchy rash so returned to the clinic -> again because of the snow - and saw another doctor. Explained samters> again and now on Ran-Ciproflox for 2 weeks.> This increasing allergy level is worring me - I seem to be cascading> and becoming allergic to one thing after another. Is anyone else> experiencing this? It is scaring me.> Happy and healthy New Year to all> Maggie>

Not to worry. I also have had a similar reaction to this family of antibiotics, as well as sulfa. Have had good success with Z-pak.From: Maggie <maggieuig1@...>Subject: anti-bioticssamters Date: Sunday, December 28, 2008, 11:48 AMI attended my local clinic last week - unable to go to my familydoctor due to all the snow we've had here in Vancouver. I had a verypainful sinus infection. The doctor who saw me didn't know of Samters- what's new!- and after I explained he prescribed Co Azithromycin asI am allergic to penicillin.Came out in a horrible red itchy rash so returned to

the clinic -again because of the snow - and saw another doctor. Explained samtersagain and now on Ran-Ciproflox for 2 weeks.This increasing allergy level is worring me - I seem to be cascadingand becoming allergic to one thing after another. Is anyone elseexperiencing this? It is scaring me.Happy and healthy New Year to allMaggie ------------------------------------

This is the article about mold toxins I was referring to.---------Mould Toxins More Prevalent And Hazardous Than Thought

enlarge

An

old wall at the Tuileries Garden, Paris. Mould toxins in buildings

damaged by moisture are considerably more prevalent than was previously

thought. (Credit: iStockphoto/Dan )

ScienceDaily (Dec. 15, 2008)

— Mould toxins in buildings damaged by moisture are considerably more

prevalent than was previously thought, according to new international

research. a Bloom from the Division of Medical Microbiology at Lund

University in Sweden has contributed to research in this field by

analyzing dust and materials samples from buildings damaged by mould.

Virtually all of the samples contained toxins from mould.

"Previously it was claimed that the occurrence of mould does not

necessarily mean that there are toxins present. But they are! On the

contrary, we can assume that wherever there is visible mould, there are

also mould toxins," says a Bloom.

And toxins produced by mould are more potent than was previously

thought. It has now been shown, for instance, that mould toxins

(mycotoxins) not only directly kill cells but can also affect immune

cells in a way that increases the risk of allergies. Even incredibly

tiny amounts of these toxins can do this, as little as a few picograms

(a picogram is one millionth of a millionth of a gram).

New research also shows that mould releases extremely small

particles that remain suspended in the air, and can get into our lungs

much more easily than the spores that have previously been focused on.

This can increase exposure to mould and mycotoxins hundreds of times

over compared with previous calculations. And mycotoxins have further

been shown in laboratory studies to have a synergistic effect: the

effect of two toxins is not merely 1 + 1 but much greater.

Using methods from analytical chemistry, a Bloom analyzed dust

sample and samples from construction materials such as molding,

drywall, and wallpaper from buildings damaged by mould. She acquired

nearly all of the samples from professional damage assessors.

"We looked at 6-7 different mycotoxins and found them in a majority

of the samples. And since there are at least 400 sorts of mycotoxins,

what we have seen is probably just the tip of the iceberg," she says.

Mould in buildings is a phenomenon that has been known since the

times of the Old Testament. In Leviticus mention is made of spots that

constitute "a fretting leprosy in the house," and should be scraped off

and thrown away "in some unclean place."

"Actually, we haven't made all that much progress today," maintains

a Bloom. "We know that people are sickened by buildings damaged by

moisture, but whether this is primarily caused by mycotoxins, bacteria,

or gases given off by the moist building materials, this we don't know

exactly. We should therefore observe the principle of caution and

renovate the building as soon as a moisture problem or mould is found."

After she defends her thesis on December 6, a Bloom will start

working with indoor-environment issues at the IVL, the Swedish

Environmental Research Institute. Her thesis director, Lennart Larsson,

is continuing his research with the Lund team, for example

participating in a major EU project on indoor environments in schools

and their possible connections to asthma and allergies.

Adapted from materials provided by Vetenskapsrådet (The Swedish Research Council), via AlphaGalileo.> >> > From: Maggie maggieuig1@ ..> > Subject: anti-biotics> > samters@groups .com> > Date: Sunday, December 28, 2008, 12:48 PM> >> >> >> >> >> >> > I attended my local clinic last week - unable to go to my family> > doctor due to all the snow we've had here in Vancouver. I had a very> > painful sinus infection. The doctor who saw me didn't know of Samters> > - what's new!- and after I explained he prescribed Co Azithromycin as> > I am allergic to penicillin.> > Came out in a horrible red itchy rash so returned to the clinic -> > again because of the snow - and saw another doctor. Explained samters> > again and now on Ran-Ciproflox for 2 weeks.> > This increasing allergy level is worring me - I seem to be cascading> > and becoming allergic to one thing after another. Is anyone else> > experiencing this? It is scaring me.> > Happy and healthy New Year to all> > Maggie> >>