Guest guest

Guest guest

I wonder if there is some kind of link.

I do have food-allergy symptoms to many types of alcohol, so I don't drink

much either.

I always assumed that it had something to do with how it was made; I don't

seem to react to distilled spirits like gin as I do to fermented things like

beer and wine. Perhaps it's a mold or a yeast reaction. I can't have

chamomile tea because of the pollen issue either.

s

Alcohol and samter's

A recent message mentioned alcohol and not being able to drink it.

That set me to wondering. For the last 5+ years I have not been able

to drink anything - wine, beer, or hard liquor. I put it down

initially to sulfites but I don't think hard liquor has sulfites.

I don't get wheezy but within 30 minutes of drinking my nose starts

getting very stuffy and then it just runs and runs. I would love a

cold beer on a hot day but the reaction just isn't worth it.

I have samter's and am allergic to both aspirin and ibuprofen. I

don't have food allergies but am allergic to dust mites, mold, cats,

dogs, and maple pollen.

Is there a link between samter's and the reaction to alcohol? My docs

have been telling my reaction is due to alcohol being a vasodialator

(I may have this backwards) and I have a non-allergic rhinitis from

it.

What are other folks experience with alcohol?

-

Guest guest

I have the same reaction from hard liquor, beer and wine. According to the paperwork I was given last week, "wine vinegar, distilled beer, whine, alcoholic beverages (except vodka)" all have salicylates. I was told to stay away from "tartrazine, salicylates and yellow food dye #5". There is no quick meal for this kid again. Too many spices fall in the salicylates, and NO carbonated drinks those fall in tartrazine.

I am just learning what I can and can't eat. What a hassle and since we grow most of our own food I am hoping that will help. Of course my favorites I can't eat cause of salicylates those being: tomatoes, radishes, peppers and cucumbers. On the up side I don't have to plant those in the green house on the down side no cuc and tomatoes sandwiches.

Since I am just starting out with this stuff I have to get it into my mind that 'no cheating' is allowed. I figure by the time my raspberries are in full swing I should be able to eat some of them (salicylates).

It is so nice to find other people out there who have the same kinds of problems. I know some of my husbands friends think I am being a bitch when I don't want to be around smoking or go out to dinner or to their house cause of the limited eating. Just went through this last weekend and took my own food, but was still hassled about "oh just one bite". What part of no thank you don't they understand?

Sorry had to vent, my husband gets tired of my health problems, like he has to actually go through the symptoms and limitations I should be so lucky.

Alcohol and samter's

A recent message mentioned alcohol and not being able to drink it. That set me to wondering. For the last 5+ years I have not been able to drink anything - wine, beer, or hard liquor. I put it down initially to sulfites but I don't think hard liquor has sulfites. I don't get wheezy but within 30 minutes of drinking my nose starts getting very stuffy and then it just runs and runs. I would love a cold beer on a hot day but the reaction just isn't worth it.I have samter's and am allergic to both aspirin and ibuprofen. I don't have food allergies but am allergic to dust mites, mold, cats, dogs, and maple pollen.Is there a link between samter's and the reaction to alcohol? My docs have been telling my reaction is due to alcohol being a vasodialator (I may have this backwards) and I have a non-allergic rhinitis from it.What are other folks experience with alcohol?-

Guest guest

S

Not to put a rain on your day, but I was just told that tea, root beer and birch beer (whatever that is) has salicylates and effects this Samter's Triad.

And I have been counting 100 calories a pill cause I refuse to accept what prednisone has done to my body. I just joined Curves for Women and like that and am getting back into the yoga thing. Some days it is just hard work breathing.

RE: Alcohol and samter's

I wonder if there is some kind of link.I do have food-allergy symptoms to many types of alcohol, so I don't drinkmuch either.I always assumed that it had something to do with how it was made; I don'tseem to react to distilled spirits like gin as I do to fermented things likebeer and wine. Perhaps it's a mold or a yeast reaction. I can't havechamomile tea because of the pollen issue either.s-----Original Message-----From: jpr9954 [mailto:jpr@...]Sent: Monday, May 20, 2002 2:12 PMsamters Subject: Alcohol and samter'sA recent message mentioned alcohol and not being able to drink it.That set me to wondering. For the last 5+ years I have not been ableto drink anything - wine, beer, or hard liquor. I put it downinitially to sulfites but I don't think hard liquor has sulfites.I don't get wheezy but within 30 minutes of drinking my nose startsgetting very stuffy and then it just runs and runs. I would love acold beer on a hot day but the reaction just isn't worth it.I have samter's and am allergic to both aspirin and ibuprofen. Idon't have food allergies but am allergic to dust mites, mold, cats,dogs, and maple pollen.Is there a link between samter's and the reaction to alcohol? My docshave been telling my reaction is due to alcohol being a vasodialator(I may have this backwards) and I have a non-allergic rhinitis fromit.What are other folks experience with alcohol?-

Guest guest

and s,

I don't have any problem with tea or root beer or any other foods.

(Birch beer is similar to root beer - more prevalent in the

northeast) I can eat tomatoes, cukes, etc.

In my case, even gin and vodka will make the nose getting stuffy and

then run.

I've never done yoga but there are plenty of classes here in western

NC. What kind of yoga are you doing? I've heard hatha is good because

of the emphasis on breathing control.

-

> S

>

> Not to put a rain on your day, but I was just told that tea, root

beer and birch beer (whatever that is) has salicylates and effects

this Samter's Triad.

>

> And I have been counting 100 calories a pill cause I refuse to

accept what prednisone has done to my body. I just joined Curves for

Women and like that and am getting back into the yoga thing. Some

days it is just hard work breathing.

>

>

>

Guest guest

I thought that it was the sulfites in wine that got to me...I do not

get terrible reactions, but I do have some 'allergic' reaction like a

runny nose and some itching on my skin...it seems worse with red wine.

And I think you are the second or third person who has the SAME ALLERGIES

that I do, though I don't think they tested me for maples, as we don't have

many

where I live....

I wonder do many here have allergies to Mold, dust mites and animal dander???

At 08:12 PM 5/20/2002 +0000, you wrote:

>A recent message mentioned alcohol and not being able to drink it.

>That set me to wondering. For the last 5+ years I have not been able

>to drink anything - wine, beer, or hard liquor. I put it down

>initially to sulfites but I don't think hard liquor has sulfites.

>

>I don't get wheezy but within 30 minutes of drinking my nose starts

>getting very stuffy and then it just runs and runs. I would love a

>cold beer on a hot day but the reaction just isn't worth it.

>

>I have samter's and am allergic to both aspirin and ibuprofen. I

>don't have food allergies but am allergic to dust mites, mold, cats,

>dogs, and maple pollen.

>

>Is there a link between samter's and the reaction to alcohol? My docs

>have been telling my reaction is due to alcohol being a vasodialator

>(I may have this backwards) and I have a non-allergic rhinitis from

>it.

>

>What are other folks experience with alcohol?

>

>-

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

In my case, since 1982, I had not been able to drink any alcohol. It

always stuffed up my nose and the pressure gave me a sinus headache.

The docs all said it was because I had such a large amount of polyp

clusters and the blood vessels dialated closing off my nose and

causing the pressure.

I don't know if it was that I was allergic to the alcohol or just

the dialation but it kept me from drinking for nearly 20 years.

Since the aspirin desense, I have only had a very mild reaction to

red wine but not enough to keep me from having a glass every now and

then. The others, white wine, hard liquor, etc. have not affected

me, thank goodness. Since I don't have the polyp growth anymore, I

still don't know what the cause was.

Randy

Guest guest

Some days breathing is all you have to do...but now that the asthma is under control those days are fewer and further between.

My real focus now is reliably regaining my sense of smell and preventing another polyp surgery. I'm hoping the aspirin therapy does that.

s

-----Original Message-----From: Konkle [mailto:tmiller@...]Sent: Monday, May 20, 2002 4:36 PMsamters Subject: Re: Alcohol and samter's

S

Not to put a rain on your day, but I was just told that tea, root beer and birch beer (whatever that is) has salicylates and effects this Samter's Triad.

And I have been counting 100 calories a pill cause I refuse to accept what prednisone has done to my body. I just joined Curves for Women and like that and am getting back into the yoga thing. Some days it is just hard work breathing.

RE: Alcohol and samter's

I wonder if there is some kind of link.I do have food-allergy symptoms to many types of alcohol, so I don't drinkmuch either.I always assumed that it had something to do with how it was made; I don'tseem to react to distilled spirits like gin as I do to fermented things likebeer and wine. Perhaps it's a mold or a yeast reaction. I can't havechamomile tea because of the pollen issue either.s-----Original Message-----From: jpr9954 [mailto:jpr@...]Sent: Monday, May 20, 2002 2:12 PMsamters Subject: Alcohol and samter'sA recent message mentioned alcohol and not being able to drink it.That set me to wondering. For the last 5+ years I have not been ableto drink anything - wine, beer, or hard liquor. I put it downinitially to sulfites but I don't think hard liquor has sulfites.I don't get wheezy but within 30 minutes of drinking my nose startsgetting very stuffy and then it just runs and runs. I would love acold beer on a hot day but the reaction just isn't worth it.I have samter's and am allergic to both aspirin and ibuprofen. Idon't have food allergies but am allergic to dust mites, mold, cats,dogs, and maple pollen.Is there a link between samter's and the reaction to alcohol? My docshave been telling my reaction is due to alcohol being a vasodialator(I may have this backwards) and I have a non-allergic rhinitis fromit.What are other folks experience with alcohol?-

Guest guest

Kim,

I am still waiting for the blood tests to find out what I am allergic to in those areas. I have been allergic to dust, the mites, mold, mildew, fungus and all those fun things. I wish I new now because I have got to work in the greenhouse this week. I guess trial and error will work here.

Red wines always seemed to be my worse too. Then I turned to straight shots of tequila. I got less reaction and actually didn't get nasty like I did on the beer or wine. Eventually that one little shot started the nose runny and plugging within minutes. Then I switched to martini's, the olive being of course the best part. Now I find out I have to use vodka in stead of gin. Sounds like I am a real boozer huh. This has been over the last 5 years. The martini experiment being 2 years ago. I found it interesting at the time that I could drink straight shots with water back, but not mixed drinks of the same stuff. And a blush wine was almost too much red wine.

As for the animals, I am keeping the dogs in the house, they are too old to understand rejected to the outside. I will just keep changing blankets. It's like having babies in diapers again. But they are my kids now and I couldn't throw them out if I turn out allergic to them. The cat is gone, found her a new home. Don't like them anyway and she loved me and hated my husband the cat lover.

Re: Alcohol and samter's

I thought that it was the sulfites in wine that got to me...I do notget terrible reactions, but I do have some 'allergic' reaction like arunny nose and some itching on my skin...it seems worse with red wine.And I think you are the second or third person who has the SAME ALLERGIESthat I do, though I don't think they tested me for maples, as we don't have manywhere I live....I wonder do many here have allergies to Mold, dust mites and animal dander???At 08:12 PM 5/20/2002 +0000, you wrote:>A recent message mentioned alcohol and not being able to drink it.>That set me to wondering. For the last 5+ years I have not been able>to drink anything - wine, beer, or hard liquor. I put it down>initially to sulfites but I don't think hard liquor has sulfites.>>I don't get wheezy but within 30 minutes of drinking my nose starts>getting very stuffy and then it just runs and runs. I would love a>cold beer on a hot day but the reaction just isn't worth it.>>I have samter's and am allergic to both aspirin and ibuprofen. I>don't have food allergies but am allergic to dust mites, mold, cats,>dogs, and maple pollen.>>Is there a link between samter's and the reaction to alcohol? My docs>have been telling my reaction is due to alcohol being a vasodialator>(I may have this backwards) and I have a non-allergic rhinitis from>it.>>What are other folks experience with alcohol?>>->>>>