RemedySpot.com

Re: Cayenne and salicylates

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi, I was on a salicylate free diet for nine weeks and it made absolutely

no difference to me at all but this is just in my case. That's the trouble

with this horrid disease, it affects different people in different ways.

Yes it's a boring diet and and takes time to even get close to getting

used to it but it's worth a try. I've come to a stage I'm willing to try

anything these days but as I said, this diet did nothing for me except

make me miss out on a season of beautiful tropical fruit.

I've never tried the cayenne nasal spray, not sure I'd want to though,

sounds rather 'hot'.

Just one suggestion, if you can, leave it until after Christmas to start

the salicylate free diet otherwise you could be missing out on so many

yummy things.

> Howdy,

> I'm curious about trying the low salicylate diet, as it seems some

> folks have had some relief from that. However, in researching a link

> that was posted earlier

> (http://www.zipworld.com.au/~ataraxy/Salicylates_list.html), it says

> that cayenne is high in salicylates. I was wondering if any of you

> had put cayenne in your nasal spray or rinse. I usually put some with

> my irrigation solution in a small bottle, then tip my head over so it

> really gets in my sinuses. I notice a huge improvement in how well

> irrigation works after this process. However, cayenne is listed as a

> high salicylate food. Any comments?

>

> This diet looks like it kind of sucks. I'd like it to work, but it

> will take all the fun out of eating--why have a sense of smell if you

> can't enjoy good food? Oh well.

>

> Cheers,

> Becca

>

>

Hi rebeebit,I have been following the sals free diet since the summer. Yes it is tedious but it has greatly relieved my symptoms. I find that if I stick to the lowest level foods I can once a day have something from the higher valued foods . It is all down to your tolerance level and it is different for everyone.All pepper is very high in sals but maybe that could be your one high of the day.You would have to do an exclusion diet for a couple of weeks to get the levels in your body down.See salicylatesensitivity.com for food lists etc. Very helpful.Good luckMaggiesamters From: rebeebit@...Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 01:42:00 +0000Subject: Cayenne and salicylates

Howdy,

I'm curious about trying the low salicylate diet, as it seems some

folks have had some relief from that. However, in researching a link

that was posted earlier

(http://www.zipworld.com.au/~ataraxy/Salicylates_list.html), it says

that cayenne is high in salicylates. I was wondering if any of you

had put cayenne in your nasal spray or rinse. I usually put some with

my irrigation solution in a small bottle, then tip my head over so it

really gets in my sinuses. I notice a huge improvement in how well

irrigation works after this process. However, cayenne is listed as a

high salicylate food. Any comments?

This diet looks like it kind of sucks. I'd like it to work, but it

will take all the fun out of eating--why have a sense of smell if you

can't enjoy good food? Oh well.

Cheers,

Becca

Visit messengerbuddies.ca to find out how you could win. Enter today.

Dear Maggie,Thanks for your reply--I'm sort of hoping the diet doesn't work, because I LOVE to cook, and everything I love to eat is on the "foods to avoid" list. Oh well, worth a shot. I might have to wait until after the holidays, but good thing I"m going on prednisone tomorrow so I'll be able to enjoy Christmas smells and tastes.Here's another question for you all others who have tried the salicylate elimination diet: have you noticed that every list is a little different? Some lists say to avoid a food (like corn), whereas others have it listed as OK. Also, did you eliminate all salicylates, or did you start by trying to avoid the foods that had the highest salicylate content? I'm trying to figure out how to start this, so I really appreciate your advice!Thank you,Becca (aka rebeebit)"Dogs have

masters, while cats have staff."

--unknown

Becca

I love all the wrong things as well but I think I may be more intolerent than fully allergic to salicylates as I generally seem to get away with having some dried fruit with my breakfast cereal as well as making & eating home made jams with strawberries & raspberries.

This weekend however I set to, albeit a bit late, with making 6 little Christmas puddings ready for some of my guests on the big day. The mixture had raisins, currents and sultanas etc. The little pudding basins were set steaming for 6 hours stacked in a stock pot I have. Actually not much moisture escaped but my daughters could smell them cooking, a pleasure denied to me. What I did get though was a very nasty blocked nose and I felt really rough Sat, Sun & today after having had a good run for the past few weeks. Coincidence, I wonder?

Don't think I can afford the risk of eating one on the day so I'll be on another sweet instead.

Mike

samters From: rebeebit@...Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 10:53:33 -0800Subject: Re: Cayenne and salicylates

Dear Maggie,Thanks for your reply--I'm sort of hoping the diet doesn't work, because I LOVE to cook, and everything I love to eat is on the "foods to avoid" list. Oh well, worth a shot. I might have to wait until after the holidays, but good thing I"m going on prednisone tomorrow so I'll be able to enjoy Christmas smells and tastes.Here's another question for you all others who have tried the salicylate elimination diet: have you noticed that every list is a little different? Some lists say to avoid a food (like corn), whereas others have it listed as OK. Also, did you eliminate all salicylates, or did you start by trying to avoid the foods that had the highest salicylate content? I'm trying to figure out how to start this, so I really appreciate your advice!Thank you,Becca (aka rebeebit)"Dogs have masters, while cats have staff."--unknown Read amazing stories to your kids on Messenger. Try it Now!

Hi Beccayou are best to only eat the foods on the negligable or low list initially as you need to eliminate the sals that are in your body. Then you can start challenges e.g. try something from the very high list - berries or spices - and look to see if you have any reactions e.g. headache, stuffiness, runny nose, sore stomach etc. It is important to do the 2 weeks so that you have a very low level of sals to start off with.Some people can tolerate veggies, others fruits and some neither.Another helpful site is fedupwithfoodadditives.info/failsafe.htm.Lots of info on this site including recepies.Good luckMaggiesamters From: rebeebit@...Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 10:53:33 -0800Subject: Re: Cayenne and salicylates

Dear Maggie,Thanks for your reply--I'm sort of hoping the diet doesn't work, because I LOVE to cook, and everything I love to eat is on the "foods to avoid" list. Oh well, worth a shot. I might have to wait until after the holidays, but good thing I"m going on prednisone tomorrow so I'll be able to enjoy Christmas smells and tastes.Here's another question for you all others who have tried the salicylate elimination diet: have you noticed that every list is a little different? Some lists say to avoid a food (like corn), whereas others have it listed as OK. Also, did you eliminate all salicylates, or did you start by trying to avoid the foods that had the highest salicylate content? I'm trying to figure out how to start this, so I really appreciate your advice!Thank you,Becca (aka rebeebit)"Dogs have

masters, while cats have staff."

--unknown

Visit messengerbuddies.ca to find out how you could win. Enter today.

Mike,Dr Scadding has told my husband to avoid (go easy) on Christmas pudding, mince pies etc etc. BredaFrom: Mike Hammond <rovenmike@...>Samters Group <samters >Sent: Monday, December 15, 2008 7:33:43 PMSubject: RE: Re: Cayenne and

salicylates

Becca

I love all the wrong things as well but I think I may be more intolerent than fully allergic to salicylates as I generally seem to get away with having some dried fruit with my breakfast cereal as well as making & eating home made jams with strawberries & raspberries.

This weekend however I set to, albeit a bit late, with making 6 little Christmas puddings ready for some of my guests on the big day. The mixture had raisins, currents and sultanas etc. The little pudding basins were set steaming for 6 hours stacked in a stock pot I have. Actually not much moisture escaped but my daughters could smell them cooking, a pleasure denied to me. What I did get though was a very nasty blocked nose and I felt really rough Sat, Sun & today after having had a good run for the past few weeks. Coincidence, I wonder?

Don't think I can afford the risk of eating one on the day so I'll be on another sweet instead.

Mike

samters@groups .comFrom: rebeebit (DOT) comDate: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 10:53:33 -0800Subject: Re: Cayenne and salicylates

Dear Maggie,Thanks for your reply--I'm sort of hoping the diet doesn't work, because I LOVE to cook, and everything I love to eat is on the "foods to avoid" list. Oh well, worth a shot. I might have to wait until after the holidays, but good thing I"m going on prednisone tomorrow so I'll be able to enjoy Christmas smells and tastes.Here's another question for you all others who have tried the salicylate elimination diet: have you noticed that every list is a little different? Some lists say to avoid a food (like corn), whereas others have it listed as OK. Also, did you eliminate all salicylates, or did you start by trying to avoid the foods that had the highest salicylate content? I'm trying to figure out how to start this, so I really appreciate your advice!Thank you,Becca (aka rebeebit)"Dogs have masters, while cats have

staff."--unknown Read amazing stories to your kids on Messenger. Try it Now!

Maggie, Mike and all,

Thanks for your input on the salicylate-elimination diet. I'm going

to give it a whirl--can't hurt, right? I'll let you know, my guess is

that by the end of January I'll have some idea if the polyps are

coming back or not.

Here's another question for anyone: I saw an ENT for the first time

today, and he was ready to put the roto-rooter up my sinuses. In his

words, " when you're ready for surgery, give me a call. " I was

reminded up someone's comment about ENTs to the effect of, " when all

you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. " He said that

eliminating salicylates sounded sensible, although I would have

trouble finding a western doctor to support that. Anyway, I was

wondering what you all experienced in terms of recovery time after

surgery, and what your thoughts are about surgery in general.

Something the ENT said concerned me: the potential side-effects of

prednisone can be REALLY scary, and the dosage or duration doesn't

matter. Am I being paranoid? Specifically, he mentioned hip-bone

loss resulting in hip-replacement. Has anyone else heard about this?

Cheers, and Happy Holidays. I hope some of you are blessed with an

SOS for the holiday grubbin'. I will be--the prednisone and crazy

strong antibiotics will provide me with holiday smelling, lucky me!

Hi all

I think much of the problem is that Samters calls for a professional with a depth of knowledge in allergies, immune systems and sinus surgery and finding that combination of skills is the challenge for us all. My first contact with an ENT consultant about 15 years ago identified that I had a wide range of allergic reactions to things and that was the root of the problem but no particular treatment was offered. This was pre Samters and that delight came along about 2 years ago. I had my first FESS in September as a CAT scan had confirmed I was well populated with polyps. Thankfully it was after the operation that my daughter told me about the option on youtube to watch a video of the procedure.

is an example but just put in FESS SURGERY as a search and you have a good choice! Personally I still find it hard to watch the whole thing – prefer romantic comedy or a good costume drama myself.

As for my surgery it went pretty well apart from a nasty throat infection as I was badly grazed during the procedure. It certainly was a relief being rid of the polyps and as I was by then irrigating regularly it made a big difference to my ability to keep reasonably clear. I am thankful to now have seen Dr Scadding at the Royal Free ENT London as this is the first health professional I have spoken to who actually understands what Samters is all about. I’m presently 10 days into a 14 day course of antibiotics. I had antibiotics post the operation as well.

If you are in the UK and have not seen Dr Scadding at Royal Free or Dr Nassar at Addenbrooks then try to get a referral to them as they are jointly undertaking research into Samters and I believe they want further additions to their clinical research programme.

Mike

samters From: rebeebit@...Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 03:49:39 +0000Subject: Re: Cayenne and salicylates

Maggie, Mike and all,Thanks for your input on the salicylate-elimination diet. I'm goingto give it a whirl--can't hurt, right? I'll let you know, my guess isthat by the end of January I'll have some idea if the polyps arecoming back or not.Here's another question for anyone: I saw an ENT for the first timetoday, and he was ready to put the roto-rooter up my sinuses. In hiswords, "when you're ready for surgery, give me a call." I wasreminded up someone's comment about ENTs to the effect of, "when allyou have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail." He said thateliminating salicylates sounded sensible, although I would havetrouble finding a western doctor to support that. Anyway, I waswondering what you all experienced in terms of recovery time aftersurgery, and what your thoughts are about surgery in general.Something the ENT said concerned me: the potential side-effects ofprednisone can be REALLY scary, and the dosage or duration doesn'tmatter. Am I being paranoid? Specifically, he mentioned hip-boneloss resulting in hip-replacement. Has anyone else heard about this?Cheers, and Happy Holidays. I hope some of you are blessed with anSOS for the holiday grubbin'. I will be--the prednisone and crazystrong antibiotics will provide me with holiday smelling, lucky me! Read amazing stories to your kids on Messenger. Try it Now!