RemedySpot.com

Ellen

Rate this topic

Guest guest

This sounds like I could have written it myself. I have the same problems. I'm just putting the surgery off as long as possible. People tell all kinds of stories. Some people say the surgery is the best thing they ever did and others tell horror stories. I'm scared to have it done. Joan

Hello to all,My name is Ellen and I was diagnosed with Spinal Stenosis about threeyears ago. At the time it wasn't bad enough to do anything with.However, the pain got progressively worse the past four or fivemonths, so I went back to get rechecked. The MRI showed that it wasnow moderate to severe along with a slipped disk. I have constant painin my lower back along with with severe pain down the backs of bothlegs, hip pain and tingling and numbness in both feet along withtingling up both legs at least to the knees. I saw a neurosurgeon whocouldn't tell me a lot because the MRI place had given me the wrongfilms. I saw a spine surgeon with the right films and he said that theslipped disk is compressing the nerves constantly. I also havenarrowing in the same disks along with osteoarthritis in my spine. Ihave done all the other options, so the only thing now left to do issurgery. I will have to have a laminectomy along with fusion. I'mnervous about the surgery, but more nervous about not having it andhaving things get worse. Any comments? Has anyone had the surgery andhow was it for you? Your help is greatly appreciated. I also postedthis on Care Place because I wasn't sure which one everybody read. Ellen

Hi Joan,How are you? I'm okay after my first day back at work, after winter break. I hurt today. Three years ago when I was first diagnosed, the neurosurgeon said there was nothing to do for it then. I wasn't ready for the surgery then anyway. Now, what I'm afraid of is losing ability from the waist down. The pain is to the point of distraction. Even with the pain meds, it still hurts. I've heard the good and the horror stores, too. However, I'm ready for whatever the surgery brings me. Even if I still have pain, at least I'm fairly sure of it not getting worse. I don't want to risk more damage or permanent damage to the nerves. I haven't heard from the doctors office yet. They have to get approval from the insurance company for the surgery. I'm hopeful that it will be sooner than later. You're right to wait to have the surgery until you're ready for it, both physically and mentally. Let's stay in touch, if you want and I'll let you know how things go.Time to get dinner ready. Take care,

Ellen

This sounds like I could have written it myself. I have the same problems. I'm just putting the surgery off as long as possible. People tell all kinds of stories. Some people say the surgery is the best thing they ever did and others tell horror stories. I'm scared to have it done. Joan