RemedySpot.com

Re: Christmas puddings and mince pies

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Thank you so much for this information. I have just glanced through it at the minute and will study it more when I get a quiet moment.BredaFrom: asfyso <asfyso@...>samters Sent: Monday, December 29, 2008 7:03:58 PMSubject: Christmas puddings and mince

pies

This is logical, because omega-6 fats, which include beef/poultry fat

and egg yolk, have an unfortunate tendency to increase leukotriene

production, which is central in Samter's, and this is likely aggravated

by high glycemic-index sugars.

But, by now, those concerned should have a fairly good appraisal of the

level of this effect in their particular case through the Christmas

festivities, and would know what to expect (or not) for New Year's Eve

:-)

>

> Mike,

>

> Dr Scadding has told my husband to avoid (go easy) on Christmas

pudding, mince pies etc etc.

>

> Breda

>

As well as the obvious that they are full of raisins, citrus peel and spices which are all extremely high in salicylates! Merry Christmas! BeckyBreda OBrien <zippyelle@...> wrote: Thank you so much for this information. I have just glanced through it at the minute and will study it more when I get a quiet moment.Breda From: asfyso <asfyso (DOT) fr>samters Sent: Monday, December 29, 2008 7:03:58 PMSubject: Christmas puddings and mince pies This is logical, because omega-6 fats, which include beef/poultry fatand egg yolk, have an unfortunate tendency to increase leukotrieneproduction, which is central in Samter's, and this is likely aggravatedby high glycemic-index sugars.But, by now, those concerned should have a fairly good appraisal of thelevel of this effect in their particular case through the

Christmasfestivities, and would know what to expect (or not) for New Year's Eve :-)>> Mike,>> Dr Scadding has told my husband to avoid (go easy) on Christmaspudding, mince pies etc etc.>> Breda>

Breda

I never did thank you for kicking me up the backside to make contact with Dr Scadding. I had a battle with my primary health care trust but eventually got a referral and am now discharged from my local hospital into the hands of Dr Scadding. I think I was helped by the fact that one of the Dr's I met at Ipswich Hospital was once mentored by Dr Scadding.

Yes Dr Scadding also warned me about the risks at Christmas and said that a fair few Samterites end up in accident and emergency after over endulgence with mince pies, Christmas pudding and Christmas cake. I certainly suffered when I made my Christmas puddings and I think the steaming of them for about 6 hours filled the house with something that didn't suite me. I did however seem to get away with it on the day as they were only reheated for about 2 hours and all the partridge,pheasant,chicken,duck & turkey juices in the oven had their say too. I have been careful with the seasonal goodies and seem to have got away with it so far though I am waking in the early hours each night very blocked up, but then what's new!

Wishing you and your husband a happy and healthier New Year

Best regards

Mike

samters From: zippyelle@...Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 11:51:02 -0800Subject: Re: Christmas puddings and mince pies

Thank you so much for this information. I have just glanced through it at the minute and will study it more when I get a quiet moment.Breda

From: asfyso <asfyso (DOT) fr>samters Sent: Monday, December 29, 2008 7:03:58 PMSubject: Christmas puddings and mince pies

This is logical, because omega-6 fats, which include beef/poultry fatand egg yolk, have an unfortunate tendency to increase leukotrieneproduction, which is central in Samter's, and this is likely aggravatedby high glycemic-index sugars.But, by now, those concerned should have a fairly good appraisal of thelevel of this effect in their particular case through the Christmasfestivities, and would know what to expect (or not) for New Year's Eve :-)>> Mike,>> Dr Scadding has told my husband to avoid (go easy) on Christmaspudding, mince pies etc etc.>> Breda>

Win vouchers with BigSnapSearch.com Search now

Good point, not to mention that raisins and other fruits in cakes are

often preserved with sulfites and colored with azoic dyes.

> >

> > Mike,

> >

> > Dr Scadding has told my husband to avoid (go easy) on Christmas

> pudding, mince pies etc etc.

> >

> > Breda

> >

>

In the particular case of Christmas puddings, and according to this

recipe :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/richchristmaspudding_8935.sht\

ml

it is most likely the alcohol vapor which can hurt in the case of

Samter's during the preparation of the recipe. The other ingredients

might hurt, but only when eaten.

>> Mike,>> Dr Scadding has told my

husband to avoid (go easy) on Christmaspudding, mince pies etc etc.>>

Breda>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> _________________________________________________________________

> Imagine a life without walls. See the possibilities.

> http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/122465943/direct/01/

>

Mike,I am really thrilled for you, hopefully this is just a start. We did some house renovations on the run up to Christmas and as we were short of time to get everything completed on time Tom decided to do a bit of painting. A big mistake, we can now definitely say that paint is an allergen. Of course, there is always a silver lining - we can now only have our house painted when Tom is away on a business trip or takes holidays. That brought one big smile.However, Tom too is very congested nasally, why we don't know as we have been extremely careful.I liked your definition of Samters as being similar to Cystic Fibrosis of the nose. Funny how Psuedomonas and Staph cause havoc in both

these diseases.With regard to the genetic side it made me wonder both parents would need to be carriers before a child presents with Samters as is the case with Cystic Fibrosis. The reason I say this, is that we have no record of anyone in my husbands family with samter symptoms - asthma yes, nasal polyps no.BredaFrom: Mike Hammond <rovenmike@...>Samters Group <samters >Sent: Monday, December 29, 2008 8:15:04 PMSubject: RE: Christmas puddings and mince pies

Breda

I never did thank you for kicking me up the backside to make contact with Dr Scadding. I had a battle with my primary health care trust but eventually got a referral and am now discharged from my local hospital into the hands of Dr Scadding. I think I was helped by the fact that one of the Dr's I met at Ipswich Hospital was once mentored by Dr Scadding.

Yes Dr Scadding also warned me about the risks at Christmas and said that a fair few Samterites end up in accident and emergency after over endulgence with mince pies, Christmas pudding and Christmas cake. I certainly suffered when I made my Christmas puddings and I think the steaming of them for about 6 hours filled the house with something that didn't suite me. I did however seem to get away with it on the day as they were only reheated for about 2 hours and all the partridge,pheasant, chicken,duck & turkey juices in the oven had their say too. I have been careful with the seasonal goodies and seem to have got away with it so far though I am waking in the early hours each night very blocked up, but then what's new!

Wishing you and your husband a happy and healthier New Year

Best regards

Mike

samters@groups .comFrom: zippyelle (DOT) comDate: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 11:51:02 -0800Subject: Re: Christmas puddings and mince pies

Thank you so much for this information. I have just glanced through it at the minute and will study it more when I get a quiet moment.Breda

From: asfyso <asfyso (DOT) fr>samters@groups .comSent: Monday, December 29, 2008 7:03:58 PMSubject: Christmas puddings and mince pies

This is logical, because omega-6 fats, which include beef/poultry fatand egg yolk, have an unfortunate tendency to increase leukotrieneproduction, which is central in Samter's, and this is likely aggravatedby high glycemic-index sugars.But, by now, those concerned should have a fairly good appraisal of thelevel of this effect in their particular case through the Christmasfestivities, and would know what to expect (or not) for New Year's Eve :-)>> Mike,>> Dr Scadding has told my husband to avoid (go easy) on Christmaspudding, mince pies etc etc.>> Breda>

Win vouchers with BigSnapSearch. com Search now

Regarding genetics, this (un?)fortunately is not a simple (mendelian)

genetic inheritance. Having one parent with Samter's is sufficient to

have the RISK of developing Samter's, but developing it is by no means

automatic. Triggers (viruses, allergens, chemical and air pollutants,

occupational pollutants, fungi, etc) are needed for that, so it really

is a gene-environment interaction. And siblings can develop it at very

different levels, even not at all. Maybe one of your husband's parents

had hidden, potential Samter's, and he encountered sufficient triggers

to start the process. Avoid volatile chemicals like the plague, or try

" natural " /low-allergy acrylic paintings ; and be aware that paints

release volatile organic pollutants even after several days of drying

(weeks for the worst ones), even if they don't smell anymore.

Samter's and cystic fibrosis do have a " fibrosis " component in common,

but they are (fortunately for us and unfortunately for CF patients) very

different. CF is mendelian in its inheritance pattern, meaning that if

you get the wrong pair of genes, it pops up. They work very differently

at the cell level. Samter's is definitely not funny to live with, but CF

is downright deadly, with an average life expectancy of less than 40.

Also, CF affects other organs beyond the lungs (pancreas, liver),

although lung failure is a common cause of death, so CF patients have

many, many daily worries just in order to survive.

> >

> > Mike,

> >

> > Dr Scadding has told my husband to avoid (go easy) on Christmas

> pudding, mince pies etc etc.

> >

> > Breda

> >

>

>

>

>