RemedySpot.com

Inquiry - How long was your revision surgery recovery?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I'm wondering how long everyone's revision surgery recovery took. I saw four

surgeons and

the recovery range between them was six to eighteen months. FMLA only covers 12

weeks

which, I know from my pregnancies, is just shy of three months. My husband and

I liked Dr.

Rand in Boston the best, but that would mean two operations and approximately

two months

in Boston away from home. How long did it take before you could drive a car

again? ...

before you could take mass transit trains/subways? ... until you could go back

to work?

Please let me know. Thanks!

I had a revision surgery last December. It was about a 9 hour surgery. The surgeon removed part of my old Harrington Rod and put in new hardware and fused my spine from just under my old fusion at L-3 down to S-1. I was in the hospital for 8 days and then continued my recovery at home. I went back to work 6 weeks later. My job is not physical or I would have had to take much more time off. I entertained the idea of reducing my hours for the first few weeks back on the job.....until I realized that the most difficult part of working so soon after major surgery was the drive to and from work. Sitting in one position wasn't easy. My commute is 30 minutes each way. I am fortunate to have an office job that allows me to change positions from sitting to standing as often as I need. For the first few weeks back to work, I had a yoga mat I used to lay down during my lunch break if needed.

Everyone's recovery is different. You will have to listen to your body and do what is best for you. I was surprised at how quickly I lost muscle tone. The 8 days in the hospital felt like an eternity! I was determined to be up and walking by myself as soon as possible. I used a walker for about 3 weeks and didn't drive until shortly before returning to work. As soon as I was physically able, I used my walker to walk laps between the TV room and our kitchen. I kept track of the number of laps I did and tried to increase the number each day. At about 3 weeks post op, my husband and I (with my walker) ventured out of the house to walk around one of my favorite parks. Fresh air combined with the exercise was energizing and healing.

If you have any other questions, feel free to email me anytime. Good luck with your surgery and recovery!

Melody

Inquiry - How long was your revision surgery recovery?

I'm wondering how long everyone's revision surgery recovery took. I saw four surgeons and the recovery range between them was six to eighteen months. FMLA only covers 12 weeks which, I know from my pregnancies, is just shy of three months. My husband and I liked Dr. Rand in Boston the best, but that would mean two operations and approximately two months in Boston away from home. How long did it take before you could drive a car again? ... before you could take mass transit trains/subways? ... until you could go back to work? Please let me know. Thanks!