Guest guest

Marty, here you go. Love, Joy

What is Helium?

Write

Rate

My Helium

Community

Help

Debates Marketplace Contests College Writing Contest Causes & Charities Helium Quick Start Guide

Show All Channels Health & Fitness Health & Fitness (Other)

Health & Fitness >

Health & Fitness (Other)

Dealing with motion sickness

This title has 17 articles. Click here to see all the articles rated and ranked by Helium members.

Write now Print Email Article Invite a writerâ„¢ Add to Favorites Contact this writer 11 of 17 by Natural Healing Mamma

A

A

A

There are so many of us who suffer from motion sickness, whether it be from a plane, train, or automobile. No matter what you're traveling in, the feeling is not a pleasant one. It has been suggested that you do not look out the window at trees, houses, and other cars flying by the windows, and that suggestion is a good one. But what if that doesn't help? I'm one of those lucky ones who, even when my eyes are closed, my stomach is still turning and my head is still aching. The best remedy that I have found for my family members and myself is simple herbs. I know there's been a giant kick in the natural healing industry in recent years, and a lot of those remedies are bologna, but the remedies that I suggest have been tried by me and my family members and they do work!

#1 is ginger. Pure ground ginger. Ginger does have a rather spicy flavor, but if you can handle it, it really works wonders! You can get ground ginger from any natural food store or any large grocery store that sells Asian foods. It comes in powdered form and is very easy to use. I throw some in a zipper-seal plastic baggie & carry along several bottles of water. Whenever I begin to feel a bit woozie, I spill about two teaspoons (more or less to your liking) of the powdered ginger into an 8oz. bottle of water. Within minutes my stomach is feeling much better & the nausea passes. If you are wondering about the validity of this, there is a wonderful site that comfirms that ginger is a near "wonder herb". Here's the site: http://www.umm.edu/altmed/ConsHerbs/Gingerch.html

- If ground ginger is a bit too spicy for you or your children you can also try Chimes Ginger Chews. These are sold at most large grocery stores and are chewy ginger pieces that come in Ginger, Peanut Butter, and Peppermint flavors. They are made from pure ginger and work great! The Peppermint flavor is a wonderful combination with the ginger for soothing irritable tummies.

#2 is peppermint extract. This is a bit pricey, but is totally worth it. This is an excellent alternative to the spicy ginger and most kids love it. Along with my ginger I also carry along a small vial or bottle of PURE peppermint extract. You can spill a little of the extract (about a teaspoon) into an 8oz. bottle of water. The tummy will be soothed by this and your mouth will be a happy one! It works great for any type of nausea!

#3 is simple Saltine crackers. Ok, so not an herb, but they work really well with the water & ginger and peppermint remedies above. If your stomach feels too "sloshy" with the water, crackers are a great way to calm the belly. Plain 'ole pretzels work well too.

#4 a sleeping mask. Ok, this isn't an herb either, but it still works well with the above remedies. You can get these cheap at any drug store & they works! Slip one of these babies on when you start to feel ill, lay back and close your eyes. This will block out any light that can filter through the buildings and trees & will allow you to relax a bit. Try this with the above remedies & you should be feeling great in no time.

Learn more about this author, Natural Healing Mamma.

Below are the top articles rated and ranked by Helium members on:

Dealing with motion sickness

1 of 17 by Janette Peel

Many of us are familiar with the unpleasant symptoms of motion sickness, but these can be alleviated with some simple... read more

2 of 17 by Jules Cyber

As someone who suffers from motion sickness, I have done a lifetime's worth of research on this! Here are my self-dis... read more

3 of 17 by Rixta Francis

Motion sickness happens when the brain gets mixed signals. You move into one direction and if the eyes go into other ... read more

4 of 17 by R. Bembry

Dealing With Motion Sickness After reading many articles on motion sickness, discussing its adverse affects with a... read more

5 of 17 by Charmer

I had the big aspiration I wanted to be a singer and travel all over the world performing for huge audiences with an ... read more

View All Articles on:Dealing with motion sickness

Add your voiceKnow something about Dealing with motion sickness? We want to hear your view. Write now!

more options

hide

The Helium Update

Most viewed title: Is Windows Vista worth the upgrade? Best office advice needed: Things you should never do at work Death and taxes: Should the death tax be abolished? Is it getting colder in here?: Is global warming a threat or an opportunity?

Featured Partner

Breakthrough

Breakthrough is an international human rights organization that uses media, education and pop culture to promote valu...more

This week in Marketplace

Hot spots and how to get there!

Hot fashion: The professional woman’s guide to wardrobe during Rio Grande Valley’s hottest days Jamaica: Beaches, theatres, restaurants, reggae, nightclubs and more! Spring Break, Family vacations, Timeshares and more Car financing, purchasing and accessorizing – Car tips for women

Advertisement

Advertisement

Related Titles:Cryptosporidium: Dealing with the illness in a loved one Installing infrared motion detectors Album reviews: In Motion, by Copeland Motion detector choices for home security How to buy motion-control shoes The history of the motion picture

What is Helium? | Link to Helium | Privacy | User Agreement

Copyright © 2007 Helium, Inc. All rights reserved.

Helium, Inc. 300 Brickstone Square Andover, MA 01810 USA