Yeah,they told me I would have more mobility if they went in through

the front. However, they didn't tell me they would have to take out a

rib (floating) and collapse a lung to get to where they needed to be in

my back. I have a lovely scar that goes from my navel up and around my

left side. It's impossible to firm up scar tissue, so I am very self

consscious of it. I will get a copy of my x-ray and post it when I can.-

Sandi

Sandi,

I had the same approach, and have the same scar. Also, though, the entire area is herniated and the surgeon doesn't want to touch it. He says there is nothing that will get "stuck" (strangulated), and mesh has such a nasty infection rate that he wants it left alone. I had a second opinion with a surgeon at a different facility and he said the same thing, without knowing what the first surgeon had said. So --- the left side of my abdomen protrudes way more than the right, even when I lose weight, and my belly button is extremely offcenter to the right. Also, when I need to have a BM, the left side of my abdomen gets very obvious, more distended and firm. I HATE it. I wasn't warned about this possibility at all. I should have known, being an RN, but I had my focus elsewhere. I can't wear any of my old clothes, and mostly wear frumpy stuff now. What a blow to the self

esteem.

Donna

Cheryl-Abs

Yeah,they told me I would have more mobility if they went in through the front. However, they didn't tell me they would have to take out a rib (floating) and collapse a lung to get to where they needed to be in my back. I have a lovely scar that goes from my navel up and around my left side. It's impossible to firm up scar tissue, so I am very self consscious of it. I will get a copy of my x-ray and post it when I can.-Sandi

I hate the way my abdomen looks, too. I went to a plastic surgeon this past summer and he said the operation to make my stomach flab even on both sides was to do something similar to a hernia operation. He said it wouldn't last, though. So, I decided to live with it. Not happy about it, but I've lost 30 pounds so that I can wear pants and dresses that hide it pretty well. LanaDonna Durgin <dmdurgin@...> wrote: Sandi, I had the same approach, and have the same scar. Also, though, the entire area is herniated and the surgeon doesn't want to touch it. He says there is nothing that will get "stuck" (strangulated), and mesh has such a nasty infection rate that he wants it left alone. I had a second opinion with a surgeon at a different facility and he said the same thing, without knowing what the first surgeon had said. So --- the left side of my abdomen protrudes way more than the right, even when I lose weight, and my belly button is extremely offcenter to the right. Also, when I need to have a BM, the left side of my abdomen gets very obvious, more distended and firm. I HATE it. I

wasn't warned about this possibility at all. I should have known, being an RN, but I had my focus elsewhere. I can't wear any of my old clothes, and mostly wear frumpy stuff now. What a blow to the self esteem. Donna Cheryl-Abs Yeah,they told me I would have more mobility if they went in through the front. However, they didn't tell me they would have to take out a rib (floating) and collapse a lung to get

to where they needed to be in my back. I have a lovely scar that goes from my navel up and around my left side. It's impossible to firm up scar tissue, so I am very self consscious of it. I will get a copy of my x-ray and post it when I can.-Sandi

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.