RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: - Talking to Children

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Given that you are not dealing with treatment and side effects I would begin by putting your own support system in place first. When I was diagnosed I couldn't talk to people about my cancer with the exception of people I met in the treatment center, as we had a common bond. Do find someplace where you can talk to people, if not in person, then here on line. Hopefully you will be one of those who stay in a watch and wait mode. My former principal's mother did until she passed away at 93.

If you find that "dealing" is affecting the way you cope at home (less patience and the like) or you have more doctors' appointments than usual and the children are aware of it, I would keep the explanation very simple, but positive. Something like "I wasn't feeling well, so I talked to the doctor and he's checking to make sure I stay healthy just like your doctor does when you go for checkups or don't feel well. He told me to rest more, to have labs done so he's sure I'm OK" - something that explains in simple terms why there is a change and that it's under control. I think the most important thing is to not lie about what they can see or tell them everything is fine when it's obvious to them that it isn't. That leaves them open to imagining the very worst.

Remember that stage 0 is Good!!! and that you may just need maintenance, as a friend with cancer told me, like your car. Stay in touch. Pat**************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape. http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489