RemedySpot.com

Low white count

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Every time I try to treat one of the first side effect that I have is low white blood cells . The doctors will usually treat when the wbc's get below half of what is normal , and sooner if the patient is showing signs of distress .

low white count

I am was wondering if anyone else here had a low white count on treatment and how low did it go before treatment for it was recommended?

How soon after starting treatment did you start seeing the low count?

Thanx much for the reply..

low white count

I am was wondering if anyone else here had a low white count on treatment and how low did it go before treatment for it was recommended?

The last time I treated was with infergen 3x's a week and so by week 2 my wbc's were low . And the times before that when I treated with the peg/riba it was only a couple of weeks before the numbers started dropping . My doctor did write the neupogen prescription even before I started that way if it droped I could take the medicine without dely .What week are you on :?

low white count

This disease/treatment is so depressing...

She is on week 11..

Is the neupogen an injection?

Thanx again for the replies..

low white count

Yes it is a one time injection that kicks the bone marrow into working and making wbc's double time . There is some pain for a couple of hours but then its over and you feel better immediately . What is her wbc's at ?

low white count

Yes it is a one time injection that kicks the bone marrow into working and making wbc's double time . There is some pain for a couple of hours but then its over and you feel better immediately . What is her wbc's at ?

low white count

WBC's 2.5

Well, that's nice to hear the neupogen is a one time injection... I was thinking it was something she would have to take daily..

Her platelets are low too but everything else is OK as of now.. Platelets are 77.3

low white count

WBC's 2.5

Well, that's nice to hear the neupogen is a one time injection... I was thinking it was something she would have to take daily..

Her platelets are low too but everything else is OK as of now.. Platelets are 77.3

low white count

The doctor should have her on the neupogen now ! Her wbc's are very low , and limit her exposure to outside influences ( anyone with a cough /cold etc) her resistance to fight off infection is compromised right now . She may have to repeat the neupogen in another week after the first shot it all depends on how well she responds to the first dose . Anyway the doctor needs to address her low white blood cell count .

low white count

The doctor should have her on the neupogen now ! Her wbc's are very low , and limit her exposure to outside influences ( anyone with a cough /cold etc) her resistance to fight off infection is compromised right now . She may have to repeat the neupogen in another week after the first shot it all depends on how well she responds to the first dose . Anyway the doctor needs to address her low white blood cell count .

low white count

well I had to take neupo EVERY week once my wbc's got so low,, Im not sure who told you it would be a "one" time shot.. it might be if she only has a few weeks left to go on treatment.. as long as she keeps using the Interferon, her wbc's will continue to go downward and she may have to take neupo shots weekly, like I did,, jaxCrystalsAndCandles <CrystalsAndCandles@...> wrote: WBC's 2.5 Well,

that's nice to hear the neupogen is a one time injection... I was thinking it was something she would have to take daily.. Her platelets are low too but everything else is OK as of now.. Platelets are 77.3 low white count I am was wondering if anyone else here had a low white count on treatment and how low did it go before treatment for it was recommended?

Jackie

I started on neupo when my WBC dropped just above 2.0.. but I kept taking it weekly and it still didnt keep my numbers up enough, I ended up stopping tx at week 54 of 60 weeks we had planned and my WBC AND my RBC's were sitting at 1.0 !!! my hemoglobin was at 7.0 which is considered 'critical'.. so I ended up in the hosp getting 2 units of packed red cells before I had a heart attack or stroke... but the nurse used a 22 guage IV needle and it lyced the cells so they were useless.. stupid nurse,, she should have used at least an 18 or a 16 guage IV needle... I tried to tell her but she was having so much trouble getting ANY size IV needle in my veins and I have exceptionally LARGE veins,, I was about to start it myself,,, but my experience on the ambulance is that the 20 and 22 ga needles are so flexible that they are actually harder to get into the vein than a larger one...CrystalsAndCandles <CrystalsAndCandles@...> wrote: I am was wondering if anyone else here had a low white count on treatment and how low did it go before treatment for it was recommended? Jackie

I told em it was a one time shot unless the wbc's stay low then the doctor would give more . It's just not a daily shot was the message I was conveying lol

low white count

Jackie

yeah, its not a daily shot, but I had to take it twice a week..elizabethnv1 <elizabethnv1@...> wrote: I told em it was a one time shot unless the wbc's stay low then the doctor would give more . It's just not a daily shot was the message I was conveying lol low white count I am was wondering if anyone else here had a low white count on treatment and how low did it go

before treatment for it was recommended? Jackie Jackie

The pain ouch ! There is no way I could have done it , that stuff gave me bad leg pain .

low white count

Jackie

Jackie

it made all my long bones hurt as well as my pelvis ache really bad,, but I just took additional norco for the pain then,,I actually think the Neupo shot caused MORE severe pain than the Interferon shot did,,elizabethnv1 <elizabethnv1@...> wrote: The pain ouch ! There is no way I could have done it , that stuff gave me bad leg pain . low white count I am was wondering if anyone else here had a low white count on treatment and how low did it go before treatment for it was recommended? Jackie Jackie Jackie

Thanx for teh info Jackie. She is at 2.5 maybe that is why they haven't pushed the neupo shot yet. I called her last night tho and told her to ask them tabout it today.. I will let ya know what they decide...

Re: low white count

I started on neupo when my WBC dropped just above 2.0.. but I kept taking it weekly and it still didnt keep my numbers up enough, I ended up stopping tx at week 54 of 60 weeks we had planned and my WBC AND my RBC's were sitting at 1.0 !!! my hemoglobin was at 7.0 which is considered 'critical'.. so I ended up in the hosp getting 2 units of packed red cells before I had a heart attack or stroke... but the nurse used a 22 guage IV needle and it lyced the cells so they were useless.. stupid nurse,, she should have used at least an 18 or a 16 guage IV needle... I tried to tell her but she was having so much trouble getting ANY size IV needle in my veins and I have exceptionally LARGE veins,, I was about to start it myself,,, but my experience on the ambulance is that the 20 and 22 ga needles are so flexible that they are actually harder to get into the vein than a larger one...CrystalsAndCandles <CrystalsAndCandlesComcast (DOT) net> wrote:

Jackie

you are very welcome and I hope she gets it as it will help her to feel better!CrystalsAndCandles <CrystalsAndCandles@...> wrote: Thanx for teh info Jackie. She is at 2.5 maybe that is why they haven't pushed the neupo shot yet. I called her last night tho and told her to ask them tabout it today.. I will let ya know what they decide... Re: low white count I started on neupo when my WBC dropped just above 2.0.. but I kept taking it weekly and it still didnt keep my numbers up enough, I ended up stopping tx at week 54 of 60 weeks we had planned and my WBC AND my RBC's were sitting at 1.0 !!! my hemoglobin was at 7.0 which is considered

'critical'.. so I ended up in the hosp getting 2 units of packed red cells before I had a heart attack or stroke... but the nurse used a 22 guage IV needle and it lyced the cells so they were useless.. stupid nurse,, she should have used at least an 18 or a 16 guage IV needle... I tried to tell her but she was having so much trouble getting ANY size IV needle in my veins and I have exceptionally LARGE veins,, I was about to start it myself,,, but my experience on the ambulance is that the 20 and 22 ga needles are so flexible that they are actually harder to get into the vein than a larger one...CrystalsAndCandles <CrystalsAndCandlesComcast (DOT) net> wrote: I am was wondering if anyone else here had a low white count on treatment and how low did it go before treatment for it was recommended? Jackie Jackie

• 5 months later...
Guest guest

So, thru with chemo (chop+r) but left with a low white

count. 2.8 WBC last week 2.4 this week.

Just what precautionary measures should I be taking? (know

about the hand washing)

Should I still watch diet with these numbers? What about

getting out in the community? My doctor said I could get out “some”

Just how much is “some” We have had so much flu

the last several months, but it seems

to have died down now.

I had 2 Neuprogen shots, and 5 Neulastra shots during chemo.

My doctor doesn’t seem

to want to give me any more Neulastra. at this time. Guess

he wants to see if it will come

up on its own. I am still having very mild bone pain in my

hip bones, so wondering if it

could still be working. It has been over a month since my

last Neulastra. Guess Dr. F.

would have to answer this question. My hubby is the problem

– he wants me to stay in so I won’t get sick.

I have done so well during all of this – surely don’t

want to mess up now.

Barb N. - Arkansas

Guest guest

Overall, every doctor is going to have different threshold for

patient activity. My belief tends to be on the liberal side. The

most worrisome bacteria are those that are in one's mouth and GI

tract, and on your skin. Staying inside or going outside is not

going to alter that.

I tell patients that they just need to be smart. Being in crowds is

difficult because you cannot control who might sneeze on you, but

being out and about is not a problem. The key is to avoid hugging

and kissing people who might be sick and good hand washing. The

biggest danger is touching surfaces that might have been contaminated

and then " rubbing your nose " . Going out to dinner and just washing

ones hands before eating and when returning home is probably adequate.

Rick Furman, MD

>

> So, thru with chemo (chop+r) but left with a low white count. 2.8

WBC last

> week 2.4 this week.

>

> Just what precautionary measures should I be taking? (know about

the hand

> washing)

>

> Should I still watch diet with these numbers? What about getting

out in the