RemedySpot.com

Not the worst news

Rate this topic

Guest guest

, I'm following your story with great interest too and hoping it will have a happy ending yet. The news isn't all bad as you say; after all, there's no sign of CLL. It's very hard to know exactly what went wrong. Please keep us posted. Right now, I'm going through a bad patch, dealing with what appears to be my first manifestation of graft versus host disease since my allo transplant in Dec. 2006. Severe pain in the upper back, upper front chest, left wrist, left groin, and other weird areas. Am taking 30 mg of prednisone per day and it's helping a little, but I'm scared they'll have to up the dose, which will mean no more sleep for me. I see my hematologist again next week. However, bloodwork is great and there's no sign of lymphoma (knock on wood).

Chonette had asked about the chemo drugs given before an allogeneic transplant. Mine was supposedly a reduced intensity allo, since I had already had an auto SCT involving high-dose cytoxan, etoposide and melphalan and total body irradiation 6 months previously, and was in remission. The two chemo drugs I was given in the week prior to the allo transplant were IV fludarabine and busulfan pills. The aim was to suppress my own marrow, and those two must have suppressed it thoroughly because my chimerism was 100% donor once engraftment had taken place. The new marrow seems to be working fine. My last CBC on Oct. 19 showed leukocytes at 5.7, platelets at 193, absolute neutropils at 3.1, and Hgb at 120, which is excellent for me, especially the Hgb.

Sybil Whitman, 53

Dx. Oct. 2003, CHOP x 8, R-CVP x 6, auto SCT April 2006, reduced intensity allo BMT (unrelated donor), Dec. 2006, in complete remission.