RemedySpot.com

Re: TSH numbers cause for worry?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hello All,

I follow a paleo diet, and was advised to pose my question to this listserve:

I am 53, and just went for an annual blood/thyroid panel check last week.

My doctor is freaking out about my thyroid panel:

TSH 19.45 (normal range is .5-6);

Total T3 68.6 (normal range 71-180);

Circulating T3 1.09 (range 2.0-4.9);

T4 .69 (.75-1.54).

I explained that I had Hodgkins Lymphoma 13 years ago, had massive full mantle radiation, and despite my doctors telling me that 90% of the patients who undergo my treatment lose their thyroid within 1 year of remission, I was able to maintain my levels to their satisfaction using chinese formulas, Thyroid Plus, diet, and was able to save my Thyroid and stay off Synthroid.. So, I'm a bit confused as to why my numbers show a hypothyroid condition now?

For 12 of those years, I have been on a natural bovine thyroid that is mixed with B vitamins/zinc/manganese supplement called Thyroid Plus by a company called Priority One. I take 2 pills per day (150 mg of whole thyroid) . I checked with a naturopath I trust, and he advises to go for the full 4 pills per day and have a new thyroid panel done in 3 weeks. . 4 pills daily supplies 300 mg of bovine thyroid

Is there anything else I can do to get my TSH score more in line, and boost my circulating a bit higher? I eat dulse as a snack, have used Celtic Salt for 20 years daily, and put Maine kelp powder on my greens to boost iodine as well. My diet, being paleo, consists of meat (mostly lamb from our farm, venison, pork that we raise, organic chickens, eggs daily, lots of green leafy veggies, almond butter, berries in season, no alcohol, green tea, the occasional raw dessert of date sweetened raw cacao brownies, and when I get to a good Chinese buffet, lots of crab legs.

Bottom line, how nervous should I be with these scores? I don't particularly feel bad, just that I've put on some weight over the last 10 years to the tune of 20 lbs, but that could be middle age, a desk job, etc. The MD was pretty upset with the TSH score, and her nervousness got me agitated. She called my scores "impressive" in a bad way.

Thank you,

Batsheva

Switch to: Text-Only, Daily Digest • Unsubscribe • Terms of Use