RemedySpot.com

Re: Taking spironolactone (diuretic) and Iodoral --> is this really dangerous??

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I just read this again. I think, if I were you, I would switch to Iosol. Spironolactone is a powerful medication with side effects. I'm surprised that you can handle 100 mgs. of it. I couldn't. It made me weak, especially in hot weather. I'm sorry I stayed on it for 20 years. You might want to contact Dr. Skip Lenz of Skip's Pharmacy. The phone number there is 800-553-7429. He is the most knowledgeable pharmacist I know of. He has been very helpful to the humans on the group LDN_4Pets, advising them about drug interactions, etc. You can contact me at my email address, if you want to. Blessings, Norine From: <coppertone.girl@...> iodine Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 6:51 AM Subject: Taking spironolactone (diuretic) and Iodoral --> is this really dangerous??

Wondering if anyone is taking these medications together or can advise on whether I have to choose one or the other.

I've been taking Iodoral for a few years now - worked my way up to 200 mg which is quite high, but I've had no symptoms.

However, I've been suffering from persistent hormonal acne flare-ups that come in the week before my menstrual cycle. I was at the end of my rope so my dermatologist prescribed spironolactone (100 mg daily) which is a diuretic with anti-androgen effects. Basically it reduces the testosterone so your hormone levels are more even. I didn't want to go on the birth control pill.

I just started the medication but realized that Iodoral is POTASSIUM iodide and you're supposed to watch your potassium intake with spironolactone since it causes your body to hang on to potassium.

I found this warning on the web:

SPIRONOLACTONE in Spironolactone may interact with POTASSIUM IODIDE in Potassium Iodide

Spironolactone may prevent excess potassium from being removed from the body in the urine. If this happens, blood levels of potassium could be increased and this could cause an increase in serious or potentially life-threatening side effects. Potential side effects that can occur with high blood levels of potassium include numbness or tingling in the hands and feet, muscle weakness, and confusion. In severe cases, this may cause a dangerous decrease in blood pressure, an abnormal heart rhythm, and death. An elevated blood level of potassium may result when spironolactone is taken with potassium iodide, especially when nutritional supplements or salt substitutes that contain potassium are used at the same time. Spironolactone and potassium iodide should generally not be taken together unless your doctor determines that your blood level of potassium is abnormally low. If these drugs must be used together, your doctor may want to monitor you on a regular

basis to make sure that you are not getting too much potassium. If you are experiencing problems, it may be necessary to adjust the dose of potassium iodide. Ask your healthcare provider about these drugs and this potential interaction as soon as possible.

This interaction is well-documented and is considered major in severity.

--

Now I'm TERRIFIED!

I don't have any doctors here with experience in iodine so of course they will tell me to stop using the Iodoral. I'm reluctant to give it up since I'm a thyroid cancer survivor and feel that I need to be on it for life (I actually was able to reduce my dose of thyroid hormone by 30 mg thanks to Iodoral).

I am however willing to reduce my dose to a "maintenance dose" of maybe 12.5 or 25 mg instead of the 200mg.

But I just can't stand the hormonal acne so I'm really struggling here with what to do.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Have you tried removing food offenders? Dairy can be the cause of your acne if you are still partaking in dairy. Also gluten free has worked for me.You may want to try these things to see if they are the cause. From: <coppertone.girl@...>iodine Sent: Wed, January 18, 2012 6:51:58 AMSubject: Taking spironolactone (diuretic) and Iodoral --> is this really dangerous??

Wondering if anyone is taking these medications together or can advise on whether I have to choose one or the other.

I've been taking Iodoral for a few years now - worked my way up to 200 mg which is quite high, but I've had no symptoms.

However, I've been suffering from persistent hormonal acne flare-ups that come in the week before my menstrual cycle. I was at the end of my rope so my dermatologist prescribed spironolactone (100 mg daily) which is a diuretic with anti-androgen effects. Basically it reduces the testosterone so your hormone levels are more even. I didn't want to go on the birth control pill.

I just started the medication but realized that Iodoral is POTASSIUM iodide and you're supposed to watch your potassium intake with spironolactone since it causes your body to hang on to potassium.

SPIRONOLACTONE in Spironolactone may interact with POTASSIUM IODIDE in Potassium Iodide

Spironolactone may prevent excess potassium from being removed from the body in the urine. If this happens, blood levels of potassium could be increased and this could cause an increase in serious or potentially life-threatening side effects. Potential side effects that can occur with high blood levels of potassium include numbness or tingling in the hands and feet, muscle weakness, and confusion. In severe cases, this may cause a dangerous decrease in blood pressure, an abnormal heart rhythm, and death. An elevated blood level of potassium may result when spironolactone is taken with potassium iodide, especially when nutritional supplements or salt substitutes that contain potassium are used at the same time. Spironolactone and potassium iodide should generally not be taken together unless your doctor determines that your blood level of potassium is abnormally low. If these drugs must be used together, your doctor may want to monitor you on a regular

basis to make sure that you are not getting too much potassium. If you are experiencing problems, it may be necessary to adjust the dose of potassium iodide. Ask your healthcare provider about these drugs and this potential interaction as soon as possible.

--

Now I'm TERRIFIED!

I don't have any doctors here with experience in iodine so of course they will tell me to stop using the Iodoral. I'm reluctant to give it up since I'm a thyroid cancer survivor and feel that I need to be on it for life (I actually was able to reduce my dose of thyroid hormone by 30 mg thanks to Iodoral).

I am however willing to reduce my dose to a "maintenance dose" of maybe 12.5 or 25 mg instead of the 200mg.

But I just can't stand the hormonal acne so I'm really struggling here with what to do.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hi , yes dietary changes have made a big difference, especially dairy

which I've completely cut out. Also gluten. I started taking Green Pasture cod

liver oil and that probably helped me the most.

However it's the annoying 1, 2 or 3 cystic pimples that crop up like clockwork

just before my period that I have not had much success with. I know that doesn't

sound like a lot but because of the industry I am in it is important to have

clear skin - these inflamed spots that take forever to go down are so

embarrassing.

I've had this before I started the Iodoral so I don't think it is bromide detox.

Some months are better than others - for example, if I am stressed or miss sleep

I find I have worse flare-ups. My dermatologist said it's because of the dip in

estrogen and rise in testosterone before menstruation - the imbalance causes the

deep acne.

I'm now wondering if I should maybe look into saw palmetto instead of

spironolactone. I haven't started taking the medication yet...

>

> Have you tried removing food offenders? Dairy can be the cause of your acne if

> you are still partaking in dairy. Also gluten free has worked for me.

> You may want to try these things to see if they are the cause.

>

>

>

>

>

>

> ________________________________

> From: <coppertone.girl@...>

> iodine

> Sent: Wed, January 18, 2012 6:51:58 AM

> Subject: Taking spironolactone (diuretic) and Iodoral --> is this

> really dangerous??

>

>

> Wondering if anyone is taking these medications together or can advise on

> whether I have to choose one or the other.

>

> I've been taking Iodoral for a few years now - worked my way up to 200 mg

which

> is quite high, but I've had no symptoms.

>

> However, I've been suffering from persistent hormonal acne flare-ups that come

> in the week before my menstrual cycle. I was at the end of my rope so my

> dermatologist prescribed spironolactone (100 mg daily) which is a diuretic

with

> anti-androgen effects. Basically it reduces the testosterone so your hormone

> levels are more even. I didn't want to go on the birth control pill.

>

> I just started the medication but realized that Iodoral is POTASSIUM iodide

and

> you're supposed to watch your potassium intake with spironolactone since it

> causes your body to hang on to potassium.

>

> I found this warning on the web:

>

> SPIRONOLACTONE in Spironolactone may interact with POTASSIUM IODIDE in

Potassium

> Iodide

> Spironolactone may prevent excess potassium from being removed from the body

in

> the urine. If this happens, blood levels of potassium could be increased and

> this could cause an increase in serious or potentially life-threatening side

> effects. Potential side effects that can occur with high blood levels of

> potassium include numbness or tingling in the hands and feet, muscle weakness,

> and confusion. In severe cases, this may cause a dangerous decrease in blood

> pressure, an abnormal heart rhythm, and death. An elevated blood level of

> potassium may result when spironolactone is taken with potassium iodide,

> especially when nutritional supplements or salt substitutes that contain

> potassium are used at the same time. Spironolactone and potassium iodide

should

> generally not be taken together unless your doctor determines that your blood

> level of potassium is abnormally low. If these drugs must be used together,

your

> doctor may want to monitor you on a regular basis to make sure that you are

not

> getting too much potassium. If you are experiencing problems, it may be

> necessary to adjust the dose of potassium iodide. Ask your healthcare provider

> about these drugs and this potential interaction as soon as possible.

>

> This interaction is well-documented and is considered major in severity.

> --

>

> Now I'm TERRIFIED!

>

> I don't have any doctors here with experience in iodine so of course they will

> tell me to stop using the Iodoral. I'm reluctant to give it up since I'm a

> thyroid cancer survivor and feel that I need to be on it for life (I actually

> was able to reduce my dose of thyroid hormone by 30 mg thanks to Iodoral).

>

> I am however willing to reduce my dose to a " maintenance dose " of maybe 12.5

or

> 25 mg instead of the 200mg.

>

> But I just can't stand the hormonal acne so I'm really struggling here with

what

> to do.

>

> Does anyone have any experience with this? Any thoughts would be greatly

> appreciated. Thank you.

>

Hi Norine, I've only taken one tablet of spiro so far (yesterday) so haven't

really started it yet... I understand 100mg is the standard dose for acne; my

derm said for high blood pressure the dosage is much higher.

I will look into Iosol! Is that like Iodoral but without the potassium?

>

> I just read this again.  I think, if I were you, I would switch to Iosol.

Spironolactone is a powerful medication with side effects.  I'm surprised

that you can handle 100 mgs.  of it.  I couldn't.  It made me weak,

especially in hot weather.  I'm sorry I stayed on it for 20 years.  You might

want to contact Dr. Skip Lenz of Skip's Pharmacy.  The phone number there is

800-553-7429.  He is the most knowledgeable pharmacist I know of.  He has been

very helpful to the humans on the group LDN_4Pets, advising them about

drug interactions, etc. You can contact me at my email address,  if you want

to.  Blessings, Norine

>

>

> iodine

> Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 6:51 AM

> Subject: Taking spironolactone (diuretic) and Iodoral --> is this

really dangerous??

>

>

>  

> Wondering if anyone is taking these medications together or can advise on

whether I have to choose one or the other.

>

> I've been taking Iodoral for a few years now - worked my way up to 200 mg

which is quite high, but I've had no symptoms.

>

> However, I've been suffering from persistent hormonal acne flare-ups that come

in the week before my menstrual cycle. I was at the end of my rope so my

dermatologist prescribed spironolactone (100 mg daily) which is a diuretic with

anti-androgen effects. Basically it reduces the testosterone so your hormone

levels are more even. I didn't want to go on the birth control pill.

>

> I just started the medication but realized that Iodoral is POTASSIUM iodide

and you're supposed to watch your potassium intake with spironolactone since it

causes your body to hang on to potassium.

>

>

> SPIRONOLACTONE in Spironolactone may interact with POTASSIUM IODIDE in

Potassium Iodide

> Spironolactone may prevent excess potassium from being removed from the body

in the urine. If this happens, blood levels of potassium could be increased and

this could cause an increase in serious or potentially life-threatening side

effects. Potential side effects that can occur with high blood levels of

potassium include numbness or tingling in the hands and feet, muscle weakness,

and confusion. In severe cases, this may cause a dangerous decrease in blood

pressure, an abnormal heart rhythm, and death. An elevated blood level of

potassium may result when spironolactone is taken with potassium iodide,

especially when nutritional supplements or salt substitutes that contain

potassium are used at the same time. Spironolactone and potassium iodide should

generally not be taken together unless your doctor determines that your blood

level of potassium is abnormally low. If these drugs must be used together, your

doctor may want to monitor you on a regular

> basis to make sure that you are not getting too much potassium. If you are

experiencing problems, it may be necessary to adjust the dose of potassium

iodide. Ask your healthcare provider about these drugs and this potential

interaction as soon as possible.

>

> --

>

> Now I'm TERRIFIED!

>

> I don't have any doctors here with experience in iodine so of course they will

tell me to stop using the Iodoral. I'm reluctant to give it up since I'm a

thyroid cancer survivor and feel that I need to be on it for life (I actually

was able to reduce my dose of thyroid hormone by 30 mg thanks to Iodoral).

>

> I am however willing to reduce my dose to a " maintenance dose " of maybe 12.5

or 25 mg instead of the 200mg.

>

> But I just can't stand the hormonal acne so I'm really struggling here with

what to do.

>

> Does anyone have any experience with this? Any thoughts would be greatly

appreciated. Thank you.

>

Yes, according to the label. There is also Prolamine by Standard Process Labs. The problem with Prolamine is that it would be just about impossible to take the amount you are taking now because it only contains 3 mgs. You might want to ask for a consultation with the pharmacist where you picked up your spiro prescription. They are supposed to know about interactions and precautions. Blessings, Norine From: <coppertone.girl@...> iodine Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 11:40 AM Subject: Re: Taking spironolactone (diuretic) and Iodoral --> is this really dangerous??

Hi Norine, I've only taken one tablet of spiro so far (yesterday) so haven't really started it yet... I understand 100mg is the standard dose for acne; my derm said for high blood pressure the dosage is much higher.

I will look into Iosol! Is that like Iodoral but without the potassium?

>

> I just read this again.  I think, if I were you, I would switch to Iosol.  Spironolactone is a powerful medication with side effects.  I'm surprised  that you can handle 100 mgs.  of it.  I couldn't.  It made me weak, especially in hot weather.  I'm sorry I stayed on it for 20 years.  You might want to contact Dr. Skip Lenz of Skip's Pharmacy.  The phone number there is 800-553-7429.  He is the most knowledgeable pharmacist I know of.  He has been very helpful to the humans on the group LDN_4Pets, advising them about drug interactions, etc. You can contact me at my email address,  if you want to.  Blessings, Norine

>

>

> iodine

> Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 6:51 AM

> Subject: Taking spironolactone (diuretic) and Iodoral --> is this really dangerous??

>

>

> Â

> Wondering if anyone is taking these medications together or can advise on whether I have to choose one or the other.

>

> I've been taking Iodoral for a few years now - worked my way up to 200 mg which is quite high, but I've had no symptoms.

>

> However, I've been suffering from persistent hormonal acne flare-ups that come in the week before my menstrual cycle. I was at the end of my rope so my dermatologist prescribed spironolactone (100 mg daily) which is a diuretic with anti-androgen effects. Basically it reduces the testosterone so your hormone levels are more even. I didn't want to go on the birth control pill.

>

> I just started the medication but realized that Iodoral is POTASSIUM iodide and you're supposed to watch your potassium intake with spironolactone since it causes your body to hang on to potassium.

>

>

> SPIRONOLACTONE in Spironolactone may interact with POTASSIUM IODIDE in Potassium Iodide

> Spironolactone may prevent excess potassium from being removed from the body in the urine. If this happens, blood levels of potassium could be increased and this could cause an increase in serious or potentially life-threatening side effects. Potential side effects that can occur with high blood levels of potassium include numbness or tingling in the hands and feet, muscle weakness, and confusion. In severe cases, this may cause a dangerous decrease in blood pressure, an abnormal heart rhythm, and death. An elevated blood level of potassium may result when spironolactone is taken with potassium iodide, especially when nutritional supplements or salt substitutes that contain potassium are used at the same time. Spironolactone and potassium iodide should generally not be taken together unless your doctor determines that your blood level of potassium is abnormally low. If these drugs must be used together, your doctor may want to monitor you on a

regular

> basis to make sure that you are not getting too much potassium. If you are experiencing problems, it may be necessary to adjust the dose of potassium iodide. Ask your healthcare provider about these drugs and this potential interaction as soon as possible.

>

> --

>

> Now I'm TERRIFIED!

>

> I don't have any doctors here with experience in iodine so of course they will tell me to stop using the Iodoral. I'm reluctant to give it up since I'm a thyroid cancer survivor and feel that I need to be on it for life (I actually was able to reduce my dose of thyroid hormone by 30 mg thanks to Iodoral).

>

> I am however willing to reduce my dose to a "maintenance dose" of maybe 12.5 or 25 mg instead of the 200mg.

>

> But I just can't stand the hormonal acne so I'm really struggling here with what to do.

>

> Does anyone have any experience with this? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

>

Hi, I'm Linn, and I'm new to this group.  Really looking forward to gaining insight on thyroid and iodine issues.Responding to , I'm guessing you and your dermatologist have already tried/looked into minocycline .... it's my understanding that it is a very good acne treatment.... and has helped my acne.  Not sure how it works while taking Iodoral.  I only take kelp iodine 1mg per day.  I take benicar, which is another potassium sparing medication, so I'm working my way up slowly with kelp iodine, and may find a stronger source with not so much potassium, like liquid Iosol2.  Yes, has a very good point about food allergies/sensitives.  My family is doing better on a gluten-free diet, and rotate that in, going grain-free the rest of the time, and one of my kids and I am mostly milk-free (except for very small amounts of cream, butter, and cheese; I do fit in cottage cheese sometimes, again loosely rotation in).

LinnOn Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 10:15 AM, DeNormandie <blessedark2010@...> wrote:

Have you tried removing food offenders? Dairy can be the cause of your acne if you are still partaking in dairy. Also gluten free has worked for me.

You may want to try these things to see if they are the cause. 

Sent: Wed, January 18, 2012 6:51:58 AMSubject: Taking spironolactone (diuretic) and Iodoral --> is this really dangerous??

--

Now I'm TERRIFIED!

I am however willing to reduce my dose to a " maintenance dose " of maybe 12.5 or 25 mg instead of the 200mg.

-- Linn