RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: iodine making me more hypothyroid?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Are you also taking the companion nutrients? Are you starting at a small amount? There is a protocal, it isn't just taking iodine and that's it. From: viajero8 <viajero8@...>iodine Sent: Wed, February 1, 2012 7:30:56 PMSubject: Re: iodine making me

more hypothyroid?

i cannot tolerate even the smallest piece of iodoral. makes me sweat, keeps me up all night, terrible sinus pain. gave up trying. a fellow at my local health food store had me try taking 1800 mgs of kelp (about 3 mg of iodine) along with 1000 mgs of L-Tyrosine. I've been doing this for now two days. today, i began to have more energy, my depression began to lift, then my heart started racing this afternoon for two hours at a rate of 97 beats per minute. i then crash at night, feel miserable, and my facial pain gets worse. i have no sinus infection or anything. i am about to give up. i can't tolerate dessicated thyroid, iodoral, or any type of adrenal support. i'm just too sick and too sensitive. there just does not to seem to be any hope for someone like me, nor is there any doctor anywhere that really seems like they know what they are doing.

>

> > **

> >

> >

> > when i start taking iodine, the following things happen:

> > 1) i do feel more energy

> > 2) i feel shaky inside much of the time

> > 3) i need to pull a comforter over my blanket a lot, because i feel colder

> > at night.

> > 4) my temperature drops a bit from 98.0 to 97.6

> >

> > it sure sounds to me like taking iodine makes me MORE hypothyroid. many

> > traditional physicians have told me that taking iodine would make my

> > hypothyroidism worse. i must tell you, the evidence seems to point to the

> > fact that they are right, unless someone here could explain the worsening

> > of those symptoms for me. it does seem so counter-intuitive to me, because

> > i would imagine that iodine would make my thyroid work better, and yet my

> > symptoms indicate the opposite. barry

> >

> >

> >

>

It sounds like you may be detoxing which has caused an adrenal stress response. The thyroid and adrenals are closely tied so when you stress one the other goes with it as they are in a continuous feedback loop.

Other than the supporting nutrients what are you taking?

Buist, ND HC

Re: iodine making me more hypothyroid?

yes> > > when i start taking iodine, the following things happen:> > 1) i do feel more energy> > 2) i feel shaky inside much of the time> > 3) i need to pull a comforter over my blanket a lot, because i feel> > colder at night. 4) my temperature drops a bit from 98.0 to 97.6> > > > it sure sounds to me like taking iodine makes me MORE hypothyroid.> > many traditional physicians have told me that taking iodine would make> > my hypothyroidism worse. i must tell you, the evidence seems to point> > to the fact that they are right, unless someone here could explain the> > worsening of those symptoms for me. it does seem so counter-intuitive> > to me, because i would imagine that iodine would make my thyroid work> > better, and yet my symptoms indicate the opposite. barry> > > > > > > > ------------------------------------> > > > Owner: Buist, ND HC> > Moderators: Baker, Kathleen Blake, Donna Iler, Linn > > > > All off topic posts should go to the IodineOT group > > IodineOT/> > > > > > The NEW MEMBER DOCUMENT (#1 on the list)> > iodine/files/01%20NEW%20MEMBERS%2> > 0-%20READ%20FIRST/

Have you considered doing a liver cleanse? Your liver may be plugged and each time you try something that gets your metabolic rate up and begins to dump toxins your body overloads quickly and you experience the heart issue and depression.

Buist, ND HC

i cannot tolerate even the smallest piece of iodoral. makes me sweat, keeps me up all night, terrible sinus pain. gave up trying. a fellow at my local health food store had me try taking 1800 mgs of kelp (about 3 mg of iodine) along with 1000 mgs of L-Tyrosine. I've been doing this for now two days. today, i began to have more energy, my depression began to lift, then my heart started racing this afternoon for two hours at a rate of 97 beats per minute. i then crash at night, feel miserable, and my facial pain gets worse. i have no sinus infection or anything. i am about to give up. i can't tolerate dessicated thyroid, iodoral, or any type of adrenal support. i'm just too sick and too sensitive. there just does not to seem to be any hope for someone like me, nor is there any doctor anywhere that really seems like they know what they are doing.> > > **> >> >> > when i start taking iodine, the following things happen:> > 1) i do feel more energy> > 2) i feel shaky inside much of the time> > 3) i need to pull a comforter over my blanket a lot, because i feel colder> > at night.> > 4) my temperature drops a bit from 98.0 to 97.6> >> > it sure sounds to me like taking iodine makes me MORE hypothyroid. many> > traditional physicians have told me that taking iodine would make my> > hypothyroidism worse. i must tell you, the evidence seems to point to the> > fact that they are right, unless someone here could explain the worsening> > of those symptoms for me. it does seem so counter-intuitive to me, because> > i would imagine that iodine would make my thyroid work better, and yet my> > symptoms indicate the opposite. barry> >> >> >>

I have a hunch that you are dealing with a toxic liver. Your symptoms are in line with someone who has a liver that overloads quickly. Dr. Brownstein's Pure Zen Health TLC product has worked well for many to help deal with the liver pathways. It can be used in a month long food elimination diet or just as an added supplement with your current protocol. It is the product I use in my practice too.

Buist, ND HC

1000 mgs of L-Tyrosine, 5000 iu of D3, and 56 mgs of hemaplex, and 10 mgs of ferritin. > > > > > when i start taking iodine, the following things happen:> > > 1) i do feel more energy> > > 2) i feel shaky inside much of the time> > > 3) i need to pull a comforter over my blanket a lot, because i feel> > > colder at night. 4) my temperature drops a bit from 98.0 to 97.6> > > > > > it sure sounds to me like taking iodine makes me MORE hypothyroid.> > > many traditional physicians have told me that taking iodine would make> > > my hypothyroidism worse. i must tell you, the evidence seems to point> > > to the fact that they are right, unless someone here could explain the> > > worsening of those symptoms for me. it does seem so counter-intuitive> > > to me, because i would imagine that iodine would make my thyroid work> > > better, and yet my symptoms indicate the opposite. barry> > > > > > > > > > > > ------------------------------------> > > > > > Owner: Buist, ND HC> > > Moderators: Baker, Kathleen Blake, Donna Iler, Linn > > > > > > All off topic posts should go to the IodineOT group > > > IodineOT/> > > > > > > > > The NEW MEMBER DOCUMENT (#1 on the list)> > > iodine/files/01%20NEW%20MEMBERS%2> > > 0-%20READ%20FIRST/

How does that compare to your last labs?

Buist, ND HC

i just ran my blood work on 1/30/12. my TSH was 2.63 (0.35-5.5)my Free T3 was 2.46 (2.3-4.2)my Free T4 was 0.6 L (0.8-1.7)barry> > > when i start taking iodine, the following things happen:> 1) i do feel more energy> 2) i feel shaky inside much of the time> 3) i need to pull a comforter over my blanket a lot, because i feel colder at night.> 4) my temperature drops a bit from 98.0 to 97.6> > it sure sounds to me like taking iodine makes me MORE hypothyroid. many traditional physicians have told me that taking iodine would make my hypothyroidism worse. i must tell you, the evidence seems to point to the fact that they are right, unless someone here could explain the worsening of those symptoms for me. it does seem so counter-intuitive to me, because i would imagine that iodine would make my thyroid work better, and yet my symptoms indicate the opposite. barry>

I probably should not stick my nose in, but “allergic to pig”??? Does this mean you cannot eat bacon, ham, pork chops, pork roast, sausage, etc.? Because if you can eat those things you are not allergic to pig. Never heard of being allergic to pig. DodyColorado From: iodine [mailto:iodine ] On Behalf Of AnnieGoose10@...Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 7:02 PMiodine Subject: Re: iodine making me more hypothyroid? when one takes any medication for thyroid problems one has to work the whole program -- which means making lifestyle change and dietary changes. there are foods that are goitrogenic, for example. those foods should either be totally eliminated from one's diet, or drastically reduced. if one eats bread, there is bromide in that bread -- which will raise the tsh levels significantly. if one goes to the dentist - do NOT have the fluoride treatment at the end of the teeth cleaning. as best as possible try NOT to use fluoride toothpaste. there are certain vitamins and minerals that one should be taking to help the thyroid. those need to be taken on a daily basis. many people have adrenal issues. from what i have read, the adrenal problems need to be addressed first before thyroid medications will work effectively. all of these take time to work -- one probably did not develop the thyroid problems overnight - so bringing the thyroid levels back to a normal level will not happen overnight. it can take upwards of a year to get the body back to a normal condition. i had great hopes for nature-throid to work for me. alas, i am allergic to pig. i enjoy coming to this forum because i learn so much from all of you. Re: iodine making me more hypothyroid? Posted by: " Hidden Jewel " hiddenjewelalaska@... cjcarlson2000 Wed Feb 1, 2012 4:53 pm (PST) Barry,I will be interested to hear the answer to your question. I do know withother healing modalities it takes time for the body to get in balance. Ipicture it like a pendulum swinging before it settles into balance.How long have you been taking the iodine, how much, and with whatsupporting supplements? in AlaskaOn Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 11:48 AM, viajero8 <viajero8@...> wrote:

Hi Annie,I would assume that by bromine being in bread you are talking about purchased bread and not homemade from whole grain? in Alaska

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 5:01 PM, <AnnieGoose10@...> wrote:

if one eats bread, there is bromide in that bread -- which will raise the tsh levels significantly.

Taking gluten out of one's diet does wonders for our health.A diet of whole foods, vegis, fruits and grass fed meats is best. Staying from processed foods, foods in bags, boxes and cans it even a step better. There are too many chemicals and garbage in processed foods and we wonder why America is obese and sick. From: Hidden Jewel <hiddenjewelalaska@...>To:

iodine Sent: Wed, February 1, 2012 10:03:57 PMSubject: Re: Re: iodine making me more hypothyroid?

Hi Annie,I would assume that by bromine being in bread you are talking about purchased bread and not homemade from whole grain? in Alaska

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 5:01 PM, <AnnieGoose10@...> wrote:

if one eats bread, there is bromide in that bread -- which will raise the tsh levels significantly.

So the actual wheat grains themselves are brominated after being harvested? in AlaskaOn Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 11:33 AM, Megaera3 <megaera3@...> wrote:

Check your flour. Quite a lot of it is brominated these days. Used to be treated with iodine, but no longer. So make no assumptions.

>

> > **

> >

> >

> > if one eats bread, there is bromide in that bread -- which will raise the

> > tsh levels significantly.

> >

> >

>

Our bodies are not evolved to digest wheat. http://bodyecology.com/articles/risks_consuming_grains.phpGoogle Can our bodies digest wheat? You'll be surprised and what you read. Boy our FDA, CDC and so on are nothing but full of bs.Our bodies are not designed to digest it. Go ahead trust that food pyramid or plate whatever it is. WHole wheat will only harm you.Fruits, vegis and animal proteins are what our bodies were designed to digest.Off my soap box. From: Jess Mark <mark.jess2@...>"iodine " <iodine >Sent: Thu, February 2, 2012 2:33:24 PMSubject: Re: iodine making me more hypothyroid?

FYI I contacted one of Australia's biggest Bread making franchises Bakers Delight and they state Bromide is NOT used in any of their bread, rolls, etc.Bromide has been banned in Australia for many years. Doesn't mean it is still not being used by some of the little cheap places I'd thinkSandy

And if the grain is GMO you want to stay away from that crap too. From: Megaera3 <megaera3@...>iodine Sent: Thu, February 2, 2012 4:03:55 PMSubject: Re: iodine making me more hypothyroid?

Depends. Mostly. Bromate is a flour additive, used to improve rising qualities; it's not required, and isn't in all flours -- so, check. But if the grain is grown in soil that's been treated with, e.g. methyl bromide, it can pick it up in the growing process.

> > >

> > > > **

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > if one eats bread, there is bromide in that bread -- which will raise

> > the

> > > > tsh levels significantly.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

> >

> >

>

I buy organic bromide free unbleached white flour from Costco or Azure Standard for those recipes where we prefer white flour or a mixture.  But mostly we use organic soft and hard white wheat that we grind ourselves. 

Bread isn't hard to bake.  And if you have/buy a bread maker, its a snap.  The best whole wheat bread maker out there is Zojirushi.  Its pricy but it is rated the best for all kinds of breads and flours. 

LaraleeOn Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 10:34 PM, <AnnieGoose10@...> wrote:

yes cynthia.

right now i'm so paranoid about bread -- i haven't eaten any at all for over a month now.

does anyone know of a source for flour that does NOT have bromide in it?  does this mean i have to learn how to bake bread?????

From: Hidden Jewel <hiddenjewelalaskagmail>iodine Sent: Wed, February 1, 2012 10:03:57 PMSubject: Re: Re: iodine making me more hypothyroid?Hi Annie,I would assume that by bromine being in bread you are talking about purchased bread and not homemade from whole grain? in Alaska

This discussion has veered away from iodine, which is the topic of this group. Please move this discussion to the Iodine Off Topic Group, link is provided at the bottom of each email post.

Thank you!

Kathleen

Re: Re: iodine making me more hypothyroid?Hi Annie,I would assume that by bromine being in bread you are talking about purchased bread and not homemade from whole grain? in Alaska

Google does our body digest wheat? You'll find oodles of info on this and yes all the major crops in the US are GMO. From: Lulu <demi111@...>iodine Sent: Thu, February 2, 2012 8:12:10 PMSubject: Re: Re: iodine making me more

hypothyroid?

wheat has not been genetically modified. google it if you like more info on the whys...interesting and a good thing. I tend to believe much of the gluten sensitivity is directly related to GMO grains corrupting the intestinal tract thus causing distress from wheat. Not that there aren’t true celiacs, there are, however, the new rise in wheat sensitivity needs further scrutiny being we know for a fact GMO grains destroy the intestinal tract.

Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2012 4:37 PM

iodine

Subject: Re: Re: iodine making me more hypothyroid?

And if the grain is GMO you want to stay away from that crap too.

From: Megaera3 <megaera3@...>iodine Sent: Thu, February 2, 2012 4:03:55 PMSubject: Re: iodine making me more hypothyroid?

Depends. Mostly. Bromate is a flour additive, used to improve rising qualities; it's not required, and isn't in all flours -- so, check. But if the grain is grown in soil that's been treated with, e.g. methyl bromide, it can pick it up in the growing process.> > >> > > > **> > > >> > > >> > > > if one eats bread, there is bromide in that bread -- which will raise> > the> > > > tsh levels significantly.> > > >> > > >> > >> >> > > >>

http://www.gmo-compass.org/eng/grocery_shopping/crops/22.genetically_modified_wheat.htmlAccording to this they are going to stop until they succeed.Organic is the way to go but still our bodies have not evolved to digest wheat. From: Lulu <demi111@...>iodine Sent: Thu, February 2, 2012 8:12:10 PMSubject: Re: Re: iodine making me more hypothyroid?

wheat has not been genetically modified. google it if you like more info on the whys...interesting and a good thing. I tend to believe much of the gluten sensitivity is directly related to GMO grains corrupting the intestinal tract thus causing distress from wheat. Not that there aren’t true celiacs, there are, however, the new rise in wheat sensitivity needs further scrutiny being we know for a fact GMO grains destroy the intestinal tract.

Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2012 4:37 PM

iodine

Subject: Re: Re: iodine making me more hypothyroid?

And if the grain is GMO you want to stay away from that crap too.

From: Megaera3 <megaera3@...>iodine Sent: Thu, February 2, 2012 4:03:55 PMSubject: Re: iodine making me more hypothyroid?

Depends. Mostly. Bromate is a flour additive, used to improve rising qualities; it's not required, and isn't in all flours -- so, check. But if the grain is grown in soil that's been treated with, e.g. methyl bromide, it can pick it up in the growing process.> > >> > > > **> > > >> > > >> > > > if one eats bread, there is bromide in that bread -- which will raise> > the> > > > tsh levels significantly.> > > >> > > >> > >> >> > > >>

Home made gluten free bread is safe using certified organic flours. I've been doing this for 4 years now. From: "AnnieGoose10@..." <AnnieGoose10@...>iodine Sent: Thu, February 2, 2012 10:34:04 PMSubject: Re: iodine making me more

hypothyroid?

yes cynthia.

right now i'm so paranoid about bread -- i haven't eaten any at all for over a month now.

does anyone know of a source for flour that does NOT have bromide in it? does this mean i have to learn how to bake bread?????

From: Hidden Jewel <hiddenjewelalaska@ gmail.com>iodinegroups (DOT) comSent: Wed, February 1, 2012 10:03:57 PMSubject: Re: Re: iodine making me more hypothyroid?Hi Annie,I would assume that by bromine being in bread you are talking about purchased bread and not homemade from whole grain? in Alaska

Health food and natural brands do not use brominated flour. You need to check

the labels. If it's unbrominated at the grocery store, it will say so on the

label. I

believe Pepperidge Farm has stopped using brominated flours.

--

On 2 Feb 2012 at 23:34, AnnieGoose10@... wrote:

>

>

>

> yes cynthia.

>

> right now i'm so paranoid about bread -- i haven't eaten any at all

> for over a month now.

>

> does anyone know of a source for flour that does NOT have bromide in

> it? does this mean i have to learn how to bake bread?????

>

>

>

> From: Hidden Jewel <hiddenjewelalaska@...>

> iodine

> Sent: Wed, February 1, 2012 10:03:57 PM

> Subject: Re: Re: iodine making me more hypothyroid?

>

> Hi Annie,

>

> I would assume that by bromine being in bread you are talking

> about purchased

> bread and not homemade from whole grain?

>

> in Alaska

>

>

>

>