RemedySpot.com

Adrenal and RT3 gp

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I haven't seen enough people with glowing reports. It seems to be OK. The adrenal glandular products are easier to obtain and I think help to heal more effectively.

Buist, ND HC

Re: Re: Adrenal and RT3 gp

Thanks, . I am ignoring what they say about iodine, although I do have questions about some of what they say. I have decreased iodine from 100 mg to 50 because I have low iron and a comment on *this* list said iodine *could* compromise iron.... my iron started to go low when I increased the iodine to 100 mg. could be coincidence, though. I like iodine, I agree that it's probably helpful, but I personally have not noticed *any* improvements while on it. I *have* noticed improvements from taking Isocort and working seriously on my adrenals.

I guess I was interested in hearing what other things they are recommending - besides avoiding iodine - that might be harmful. I just want a head's up so I don't blunder into something. I am trying to take their advice (so far) seriously. -Angie

On Feb 24, 2012, at 2:58 PM, H wrote:

I will to share my personal experience with ths: I followed everything the adrenal group said (fix adrenals before thyroid, don't take iodine until adrenals are healed) and I wasted a year of my life sick following their advice and worse I had an ND who is iodine literate but also supported me not to take iodine as I was hyper. (I not longer am.) After critically reviewing the iodine info on this site, I got up the courage to go against the adrenal group and my ND and follow the iodine protocol. I have healed the adrenal issue and continue to heal my thryoid and overall health. I now take 175mgs per day. It is important, I think, to remember that the power of the iodine protocol is highly misunderstood by disinformed people who may have the power to influence you. You have to think for yourself, check your gut feeling and make an informed choice based on reading the new member document and Dr. Brownstein's books. I hope this helps. >> Hi, and others,> > I was searching through the archives for answers to some of what the > Adrenal gp says about iodine, and came across a discussion about > taking T3-only meds. , you made this statement:> > The reason I question it is because the RT3 and Adrenal group spew > nonsense to their members that leave them sick and desperate. I hate > to see people react out of fear. There have been several people here > that have listened to them out of fear and have returned when they > were even sicker. Took the advice here and have regained their > health. It is difficult to find but the information can be found in > the archives of how much trouble these two groups have been. If you > knew the main leader of those groups who insists she was right you > would know that taking her advice was not wise. She is a VERY ill > individual.> > I was wondering if you could give some specific examples? I joined > the group a few weeks ago and, at least on adrenal stuff, they seem > very knowledgeable, have given me some concrete advice that was very > helpful, but the generality of your statement makes me worry that > maybe something they've told ME to do might be harmful. If it's a > short list, can you enlighten us what advice you think is bad, and why?> > -Angie> > "Most political quotes at the bottoms of emails are of questionable > authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln>

-Angie

"Most political quotes at the bottoms of emails are of questionable authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln

-Angie

"Most political quotes at the bottoms of emails are of questionable authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln

-Angie

-Angie

-Angie

Well.... Isocort is (was) adrenal glandular... do you mean things like Adrenal Cortex Extract? I tried that for several months, in the interest of being "holistic," and it did nothing for me. -AngieOn Feb 25, 2012, at 5:39 PM, Buist, ND HC wrote: I haven't seen enough people with glowing reports. It seems to be OK. The adrenal glandular products are easier to obtain and I think help to heal more effectively. Buist, ND HC Re: Re: Adrenal and RT3 gp Thanks, . I am ignoring what they say about iodine, although I do have questions about some of what they say. I have decreased iodine from 100 mg to 50 because I have low iron and a comment on *this* list said iodine *could* compromise iron.... my iron started to go low when I increased the iodine to 100 mg. could be coincidence, though. I like iodine, I agree that it's probably helpful, but I personally have not noticed *any* improvements while on it. I *have* noticed improvements from taking Isocort and working seriously on my adrenals. I guess I was interested in hearing what other things they are recommending - besides avoiding iodine - that might be harmful. I just want a head's up so I don't blunder into something. I am trying to take their advice (so far) seriously. -Angie On Feb 24, 2012, at 2:58 PM, H wrote: I will to share my personal experience with ths: I followed everything the adrenal group said (fix adrenals before thyroid, don't take iodine until adrenals are healed) and I wasted a year of my life sick following their advice and worse I had an ND who is iodine literate but also supported me not to take iodine as I was hyper. (I not longer am.) After critically reviewing the iodine info on this site, I got up the courage to go against the adrenal group and my ND and follow the iodine protocol. I have healed the adrenal issue and continue to heal my thryoid and overall health. I now take 175mgs per day. It is important, I think, to remember that the power of the iodine protocol is highly misunderstood by disinformed people who may have the power to influence you. You have to think for yourself, check your gut feeling and make an informed choice based on reading the new member document and Dr. Brownstein's books. I hope this helps. >> Hi, and others,> > I was searching through the archives for answers to some of what the > Adrenal gp says about iodine, and came across a discussion about > taking T3-only meds. , you made this statement:> > The reason I question it is because the RT3 and Adrenal group spew > nonsense to their members that leave them sick and desperate. I hate > to see people react out of fear. There have been several people here > that have listened to them out of fear and have returned when they > were even sicker. Took the advice here and have regained their > health. It is difficult to find but the information can be found in > the archives of how much trouble these two groups have been. If you > knew the main leader of those groups who insists she was right you > would know that taking her advice was not wise. She is a VERY ill > individual.> > I was wondering if you could give some specific examples? I joined > the group a few weeks ago and, at least on adrenal stuff, they seem > very knowledgeable, have given me some concrete advice that was very > helpful, but the generality of your statement makes me worry that > maybe something they've told ME to do might be harmful. If it's a > short list, can you enlighten us what advice you think is bad, and why?> > -Angie> > "Most political quotes at the bottoms of emails are of questionable > authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln> -Angie "Most political quotes at the bottoms of emails are of questionable authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln -Angie "Most political quotes at the bottoms of emails are of questionable authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln -Angie "Most political quotes at the bottoms of emails are of questionable authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln -Angie "Most political quotes at the bottoms of emails are of questionable authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln -Angie "Most political quotes at the bottoms of emails are of questionable authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln -Angie"Most political quotes at the bottoms of emails are of questionable authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln

Specific examples, advising people to take iron supplements without info from a

CBC/diff, or who have a high CRP. Either could get someone into trouble who has

infection in the body. Their iron supplementation advice is not something I

would follow.

Isocort won't affect weight. DHEA lowers cortisol, selenium lowers cortisol, HC

doesn't raise blood sugar, etc. No....

Advice regarding blood sugars with NO testing. Low and high blood sugar have a

lot of the same symptoms. It's very easy and affordable to purchase a BG meter

and test. Hardly ever correlates to the folks I've talked to.

While cortisol and blood sugar affect conversion, deiodinase isoenzymes (mainly

in the liver) in disease states may divert large amounts of hormone into RT3.

Deiodinase isoenzymes depend on selenium, deficiency can result in lowered T3.

Resolving liver issues are key with RT3.

Regarding DHEA lowering cortisol:

Question: I read your June 6, 2003 answer to another patient who takes DHEA. You

wrote that you can't conclude that DHEA will lower a patient's cortisol level.

But I've been reading Dr. Barry Durrant-Peatfield's book The Great Thyroid

Scandal and How to Survive It.[1] On page 99, he explains how DHEA lowers the

cortisol level. How do you reconcile that your opinion is different from his?

Dr. Lowe: You've misunderstood the statement by Dr. Durrant-Peatfield on page 99

of his book. Dr. Durrant-Peatfield, of course, is extremely knowledgeable about

cortisol and DHEA, and his statement on that page—like the content of his entire

book—is clear, which this is one of many reasons that I strongly recommend the

book to patients. Despite its clarity, however, I can see how you might

misinterpret the statement.

Inside the cells of the adrenal cortex is an enzyme that's dependent on the

vitamin panthothenic acid. When cholesterol enters the adrenal cells, this

enzyme converts it to pregnenolone. Dr. Peatfield explains quite correctly that

pregnenolone is the " pro-hormone " of the adrenal cortex. This means that it's

the hormone from which all the other hormones of the adrenal cortex are derive.

Some of the pregnenolone is converted to cortisol. But some patients' adrenal

cortex cells don't convert pregnenolone to cortisol at a normal rate. As a

result, the patients' cortisol levels may decrease. As Dr. Durrant-Peatfield

writes, in these patients, the pregnenolone that would have been converted to

cortisol may instead be converted to DHEA. This may raise the patients' DHEA

levels, and it may increase the ratio of DHEA to cortisol. Researchers have

found this pattern—an increased ratio of DHEA to cortisol—in patients with panic

disorder.[2]

In summary, cells of the adrenal cortex may use less pregnenolone to produce

cortisol, and this may divert more pregnenolone into the pathway that leads to

DHEA. If so, lab tests may show a low ratio of cortisol to DHEA. This does not

mean, however, that DHEA has suppressed the cortisol level. As Dr.

Durrant-Peatfield suggests, it simply means that the cells of the adrenal cortex

have increased their production of DHEA at the expense of cortisol.

References

[1] Durrant-Peatfield, B.: The Great Thyroid Scandal and How to Survive It.

London, Barons Down Publishing, 2002.

[2] Fava, M., Rosenbaum, J.F., MacLaughlin, R.A., et al.:

Dehydroepiandrosterone-sulfate/cortisol ratio in panic disorder. Psychiatry

Res., 28(3):345-350, 1989.

If you'd like to know more about sex hormones, check out Ray Peat,

www.raypeat.com, interesting info on iron supplementation also.

Linn

>

> Hi, and others,

>

> I was searching through the archives for answers to some of what the

> Adrenal gp says about iodine, and came across a discussion about

> taking T3-only meds. , you made this statement:

>

> The reason I question it is because the RT3 and Adrenal group spew

> nonsense to their members that leave them sick and desperate. I hate

> to see people react out of fear. There have been several people here

> that have listened to them out of fear and have returned when they

> were even sicker. Took the advice here and have regained their

> health. It is difficult to find but the information can be found in

> the archives of how much trouble these two groups have been. If you

> knew the main leader of those groups who insists she was right you

> would know that taking her advice was not wise. She is a VERY ill

> individual.

>

> I was wondering if you could give some specific examples? I joined

> the group a few weeks ago and, at least on adrenal stuff, they seem

> very knowledgeable, have given me some concrete advice that was very

> helpful, but the generality of your statement makes me worry that

> maybe something they've told ME to do might be harmful. If it's a

> short list, can you enlighten us what advice you think is bad, and why?

>

> -Angie

>

> " Most political quotes at the bottoms of emails are of questionable

> authenticity " - Abraham Lincoln

>

Hi Linn,

the DHEA - cortisol information is very interesting!

Unfortunately I do not know of any doctors who would be prepared to test the levels :(

A very big pity as it could explain much.

Re: Adrenal and RT3 gp

Specific examples, advising people to take iron supplements without info from a CBC/diff, or who have a high CRP. Either could get someone into trouble who has infection in the body. Their iron supplementation advice is not something I would follow.Isocort won't affect weight. DHEA lowers cortisol, selenium lowers cortisol, HC doesn't raise blood sugar, etc. No....Advice regarding blood sugars with NO testing. Low and high blood sugar have a lot of the same symptoms. It's very easy and affordable to purchase a BG meter and test. Hardly ever correlates to the folks I've talked to.While cortisol and blood sugar affect conversion, deiodinase isoenzymes (mainly in the liver) in disease states may divert large amounts of hormone into RT3. Deiodinase isoenzymes depend on selenium, deficiency can result in lowered T3. Resolving liver issues are key with RT3. Regarding DHEA lowering cortisol:Question: I read your June 6, 2003 answer to another patient who takes DHEA. Youwrote that you can't conclude that DHEA will lower a patient's cortisol level.But I've been reading Dr. Barry Durrant-Peatfield's book The Great ThyroidScandal and How to Survive It.[1] On page 99, he explains how DHEA lowers thecortisol level. How do you reconcile that your opinion is different from his?Dr. Lowe: You've misunderstood the statement by Dr. Durrant-Peatfield on page 99of his book. Dr. Durrant-Peatfield, of course, is extremely knowledgeable aboutcortisol and DHEA, and his statement on that page—like the content of his entirebook—is clear, which this is one of many reasons that I strongly recommend thebook to patients. Despite its clarity, however, I can see how you mightmisinterpret the statement.Inside the cells of the adrenal cortex is an enzyme that's dependent on thevitamin panthothenic acid. When cholesterol enters the adrenal cells, thisenzyme converts it to pregnenolone. Dr. Peatfield explains quite correctly thatpregnenolone is the "pro-hormone" of the adrenal cortex. This means that it'sthe hormone from which all the other hormones of the adrenal cortex are derive.Some of the pregnenolone is converted to cortisol. But some patients' adrenalcortex cells don't convert pregnenolone to cortisol at a normal rate. As aresult, the patients' cortisol levels may decrease. As Dr. Durrant-Peatfieldwrites, in these patients, the pregnenolone that would have been converted tocortisol may instead be converted to DHEA. This may raise the patients' DHEAlevels, and it may increase the ratio of DHEA to cortisol. Researchers havefound this pattern—an increased ratio of DHEA to cortisol—in patients with panicdisorder.[2]In summary, cells of the adrenal cortex may use less pregnenolone to producecortisol, and this may divert more pregnenolone into the pathway that leads toDHEA. If so, lab tests may show a low ratio of cortisol to DHEA. This does notmean, however, that DHEA has suppressed the cortisol level. As Dr.Durrant-Peatfield suggests, it simply means that the cells of the adrenal cortexhave increased their production of DHEA at the expense of cortisol.References[1] Durrant-Peatfield, B.: The Great Thyroid Scandal and How to Survive It.London, Barons Down Publishing, 2002.[2] Fava, M., Rosenbaum, J.F., MacLaughlin, R.A., et al.:Dehydroepiandrosterone-sulfate/cortisol ratio in panic disorder. PsychiatryRes., 28(3):345-350, 1989.If you'd like to know more about sex hormones, check out Ray Peat, www.raypeat.com, interesting info on iron supplementation also. LinnModerator>> Hi, and others,> > I was searching through the archives for answers to some of what the > Adrenal gp says about iodine, and came across a discussion about > taking T3-only meds. , you made this statement:> > The reason I question it is because the RT3 and Adrenal group spew > nonsense to their members that leave them sick and desperate. I hate > to see people react out of fear. There have been several people here > that have listened to them out of fear and have returned when they > were even sicker. Took the advice here and have regained their > health. It is difficult to find but the information can be found in > the archives of how much trouble these two groups have been. If you > knew the main leader of those groups who insists she was right you > would know that taking her advice was not wise. She is a VERY ill > individual.> > I was wondering if you could give some specific examples? I joined > the group a few weeks ago and, at least on adrenal stuff, they seem > very knowledgeable, have given me some concrete advice that was very > helpful, but the generality of your statement makes me worry that > maybe something they've told ME to do might be harmful. If it's a > short list, can you enlighten us what advice you think is bad, and why?> > -Angie> > "Most political quotes at the bottoms of emails are of questionable > authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln>

On Feb 25, 2012, at 7:37 PM, Linn wrote: Specific examples, advising people to take iron supplements without info from a CBC/diff, or who have a high CRP. Either could get someone into trouble who has infection in the body. Their iron supplementation advice is not something I would follow.The iron supp advice they gave me was based on my CRP results. I thought the amount was high, but since low iron inhibits thyroid working properly and causes some of the symptoms I'm having (like hair loss), I am trying it. Isocort won't affect weight. DHEA lowers cortisol, selenium lowers cortisol, HC doesn't raise blood sugar, etc. No....I'm not understanding this section... are you saying these are things they claim which are untrue? Advice regarding blood sugars with NO testing. Low and high blood sugar have a lot of the same symptoms. It's very easy and affordable to purchase a BG meter and test. Hardly ever correlates to the folks I've talked to.What does "hardly ever correlates to the folks I've talked to" mean? What are you referring to? Are you saying BG doesn't correlate to something? While cortisol and blood sugar affect conversion, deiodinase isoenzymes (mainly in the liver) in disease states may divert large amounts of hormone into RT3. Deiodinase isoenzymes depend on selenium, deficiency can result in lowered T3. Resolving liver issues are key with RT3. That's interesting, thanks. Re: what you posted below: I saw that you posted that before, when I was looking through the archives. While I don't totally understand it, what I get from it is that things don't always convert to what we think they will, so it can be tricky when supplementing with things like DHEA and pregnenalone. Like I said before, I took pregnenalone and it did absolutely 0 for me. Obviously, my body is doing something different with it than the bodies of others who say it has made the big difference for them. -Angie Regarding DHEA lowering cortisol: Question: I read your June 6, 2003 answer to another patient who takes DHEA. You wrote that you can't conclude that DHEA will lower a patient's cortisol level. But I've been reading Dr. Barry Durrant-Peatfield's book The Great Thyroid Scandal and How to Survive It.[1] On page 99, he explains how DHEA lowers the cortisol level. How do you reconcile that your opinion is different from his? Dr. Lowe: You've misunderstood the statement by Dr. Durrant-Peatfield on page 99 of his book. Dr. Durrant-Peatfield, of course, is extremely knowledgeable about cortisol and DHEA, and his statement on that page—like the content of his entire book—is clear, which this is one of many reasons that I strongly recommend the book to patients. Despite its clarity, however, I can see how you might misinterpret the statement. Inside the cells of the adrenal cortex is an enzyme that's dependent on the vitamin panthothenic acid. When cholesterol enters the adrenal cells, this enzyme converts it to pregnenolone. Dr. Peatfield explains quite correctly that pregnenolone is the "pro-hormone" of the adrenal cortex. This means that it's the hormone from which all the other hormones of the adrenal cortex are derive. Some of the pregnenolone is converted to cortisol. But some patients' adrenal cortex cells don't convert pregnenolone to cortisol at a normal rate. As a result, the patients' cortisol levels may decrease. As Dr. Durrant-Peatfield writes, in these patients, the pregnenolone that would have been converted to cortisol may instead be converted to DHEA. This may raise the patients' DHEA levels, and it may increase the ratio of DHEA to cortisol. Researchers have found this pattern—an increased ratio of DHEA to cortisol—in patients with panic disorder.[2] In summary, cells of the adrenal cortex may use less pregnenolone to produce cortisol, and this may divert more pregnenolone into the pathway that leads to DHEA. If so, lab tests may show a low ratio of cortisol to DHEA. This does not mean, however, that DHEA has suppressed the cortisol level. As Dr. Durrant-Peatfield suggests, it simply means that the cells of the adrenal cortex have increased their production of DHEA at the expense of cortisol. References [1] Durrant-Peatfield, B.: The Great Thyroid Scandal and How to Survive It. London, Barons Down Publishing, 2002. [2] Fava, M., Rosenbaum, J.F., MacLaughlin, R.A., et al.: Dehydroepiandrosterone-sulfate/cortisol ratio in panic disorder. Psychiatry Res., 28(3):345-350, 1989. If you'd like to know more about sex hormones, check out Ray Peat, www.raypeat.com, interesting info on iron supplementation also. Linn Moderator > > Hi, and others, > > I was searching through the archives for answers to some of what the > Adrenal gp says about iodine, and came across a discussion about > taking T3-only meds. , you made this statement: > > The reason I question it is because the RT3 and Adrenal group spew > nonsense to their members that leave them sick and desperate. I hate > to see people react out of fear. There have been several people here > that have listened to them out of fear and have returned when they > were even sicker. Took the advice here and have regained their > health. It is difficult to find but the information can be found in > the archives of how much trouble these two groups have been. If you > knew the main leader of those groups who insists she was right you > would know that taking her advice was not wise. She is a VERY ill > individual. > > I was wondering if you could give some specific examples? I joined > the group a few weeks ago and, at least on adrenal stuff, they seem > very knowledgeable, have given me some concrete advice that was very > helpful, but the generality of your statement makes me worry that > maybe something they've told ME to do might be harmful. If it's a > short list, can you enlighten us what advice you think is bad, and why? > > -Angie > > "Most political quotes at the bottoms of emails are of questionable > authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln > -Angie"Most political quotes at the bottoms of emails are of questionable authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln

A high CRP equals bad inflammation, iron feeds inflammation. The body will

lower iron levels as a result. Supplementing iron will worsen the infection.

Hair loss can result from many issues. It would be prudent to resolve the

inflammation and stop the iron. Do you by chance have candida issues also? Has

your doc done a GI panel? I would run, not walk, away from their iron

supplementation advice and get yourself to a competent doctor for help in

figuring out the inflammation. Please read the iron info on the Ray Peat link.

Yes, those are things I am saying are wrong. In regard to the blood sugar

issues, over the years I've seen a lot of references to low blood sugar issues

from symptoms only. It is not accurate to determine low or high blood sugar on

symptoms alone. I've seen lots of people think they have low blood sugar caused

by cortisol issues turn out to actually be high blood sugar issues.

Linn

> > >

> > > Hi, and others,

> > >

> > > I was searching through the archives for answers to some of what the

> > > Adrenal gp says about iodine, and came across a discussion about

> > > taking T3-only meds. , you made this statement:

> > >

> > > The reason I question it is because the RT3 and Adrenal group spew

> > > nonsense to their members that leave them sick and desperate. I hate

> > > to see people react out of fear. There have been several people here

> > > that have listened to them out of fear and have returned when they

> > > were even sicker. Took the advice here and have regained their

> > > health. It is difficult to find but the information can be found in

> > > the archives of how much trouble these two groups have been. If you

> > > knew the main leader of those groups who insists she was right you

> > > would know that taking her advice was not wise. She is a VERY ill

> > > individual.

> > >

> > > I was wondering if you could give some specific examples? I joined

> > > the group a few weeks ago and, at least on adrenal stuff, they seem

> > > very knowledgeable, have given me some concrete advice that was very

> > > helpful, but the generality of your statement makes me worry that

> > > maybe something they've told ME to do might be harmful. If it's a

> > > short list, can you enlighten us what advice you think is bad,

> > and why?

> > >

> > > -Angie

> > >

> > > " Most political quotes at the bottoms of emails are of questionable

> > > authenticity " - Abraham Lincoln

> > >

> >

> >

>

> -Angie

>

>

Gahhhhh!!!!! Iron feeds inflammation?! Well, I am actually low in iron (even my doc said so), so I don't feel comfortable cutting it out entirely, maybe just backing down on it, but definitely don't want to feed my inflammation <exasperated sigh>. Now I'm back to my dilemma: what do I tackle first? If my iron is low, that affects how well the thyroid hormones work. My iron went low about the same time my CRP went up. What do you make of that? I know low thyroid and female hormone stuff can create hair loss, too, but I am trying to eliminate all possible sources. I'm already being treated for thyroid and female hormones.I do have candida issues. How does that figure? My doc has not done a GI panel, that I'm aware of... not sure he does that. As to your list of things you disagree with: why do you say selenium doesn't lower cortisol, and that isocort doesnt' affect weight?Thanks.On Feb 25, 2012, at 8:53 PM, Linn wrote: A high CRP equals bad inflammation, iron feeds inflammation. The body will lower iron levels as a result. Supplementing iron will worsen the infection. Hair loss can result from many issues. It would be prudent to resolve the inflammation and stop the iron. Do you by chance have candida issues also? Has your doc done a GI panel? I would run, not walk, away from their iron supplementation advice and get yourself to a competent doctor for help in figuring out the inflammation. Please read the iron info on the Ray Peat link. Yes, those are things I am saying are wrong. In regard to the blood sugar issues, over the years I've seen a lot of references to low blood sugar issues from symptoms only. It is not accurate to determine low or high blood sugar on symptoms alone. I've seen lots of people think they have low blood sugar caused by cortisol issues turn out to actually be high blood sugar issues. Linn Moderator > > > > > > Hi, and others, > > > > > > I was searching through the archives for answers to some of what the > > > Adrenal gp says about iodine, and came across a discussion about > > > taking T3-only meds. , you made this statement: > > > > > > The reason I question it is because the RT3 and Adrenal group spew > > > nonsense to their members that leave them sick and desperate. I hate > > > to see people react out of fear. There have been several people here > > > that have listened to them out of fear and have returned when they > > > were even sicker. Took the advice here and have regained their > > > health. It is difficult to find but the information can be found in > > > the archives of how much trouble these two groups have been. If you > > > knew the main leader of those groups who insists she was right you > > > would know that taking her advice was not wise. She is a VERY ill > > > individual. > > > > > > I was wondering if you could give some specific examples? I joined > > > the group a few weeks ago and, at least on adrenal stuff, they seem > > > very knowledgeable, have given me some concrete advice that was very > > > helpful, but the generality of your statement makes me worry that > > > maybe something they've told ME to do might be harmful. If it's a > > > short list, can you enlighten us what advice you think is bad, > > and why? > > > > > > -Angie > > > > > > "Most political quotes at the bottoms of emails are of questionable > > > authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln > > > > > > > > > -Angie > > "Most political quotes at the bottoms of emails are of questionable > authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln > -Angie"Most political quotes at the bottoms of emails are of questionable authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln

Yes, when the body sense a potential threat, iron will get shuttled to ferritin.

Just enough iron is made available to make red blood cells but no surplus left

to nourish harmful pathogens. Depending on the underlying cause of disease, a

person with ACD will experience a modest decline in hemoglobin. This will take

place over time following the onset of inflammation due to the presence of the

infection or disease. (http://www.irondisorders.org/anemia-of-chronic-disease)

Continuing to take iron in these circumstances is dangerous.

Candida releases powerful poisons as it multiplies, which circulate in the

bloodstream causing many symptoms and disorders. Candid can produce a type of

false estrogen and thyroid hormone, which leads to hormone imbalance and

receptor malfunction. Candida produces an alcohol called ethanol, which grows

rapidly when yeast has a food source such as high blood sugar. Too much ethanol

production can cause liver detox function overloading. Acetaldehyde is another

by-product of Candida. It is related to formaldehyde and causes a variety of

malfunctions in the body. Candida can invade a variety of body tissues causing

local inflammation. It typically attacks the mouth (thrush), vagina,

gastrointestinal tract, urinary tract, prostate gland, skin and finger or

toenails. It is also believed that chronic Candida overgrowth in digestive tract

is the major cause for leaky gut, which could be one of the main reasons for

food allergies. http://www.highlysensitivebody.com/candida.html

If it were me, I would try to investigate GI issues. If it's an ND, they'll be

familiar with how to test. Would also investigate a gluten free diet.

I think the " selenium lowers cortisol " info over there is taken out of context.

Selenium can help for those with high cortisol to balance out levels. To avoid

selenium, particularly for those with thyroid disease is akin to throwing the

baby out with the bathwater. Selenium is required to produce thyroid hormone.

It is also needed for the conversion of T4 to the more active form of the

hormone, called triiodothyronine or T3. If the body cannot convert T4 to T3,

then thyroid hormone activity will diminish significantly, even if enough T4 is

being produced. Selenium has been found to specifically counteract the ocular

or eye dysfunction of Grave's disease, called Grave's orbitopathy, and

characterized by exothalamus (protrusion of the eyeball), and proptosis

(movement outward of the eye). This is in response to swelling and inflammation

of the muscles and structures behind and around the eyeball.

Selenium has also been found to help resolve Hashimoto's autoimmune thyroiditis.

Anti-oxidant activity and glutathione synthesis. Glutathione is a substance

produced in the liver and elsewhere that is critical for detoxification within

the liver and in every body cell. Glutathione is one of the most important

substances in the human body. Its production depends on the availability of

several amino acids, along with available iron and selenium. This forms the

enzyme glutathione peroxidase, which is a step in glutathione production and

metabolism.

When glutathione production is low, detoxification in the liver is seriously

impaired. This means the body is less able to eliminate all toxic metals, many

toxic chemicals and other substances such as biological toxins. Thus, this

function of selenium is also a critical one.

This has to do with glutathione production, mainly, although thyroid activity

and other functions related to selenium are required for all metal

detoxification. This is why garlic, and the other sources of selenium listed

above are so important.

Selenium enhances the immune response in most cases. This has to do with

thyroid enzymes, and other factors as well.

Those who are deficient in selenium and silicon tend to be irritable, anxious,

rather hopeless, depressed, negative and not pleasant to be around. They all

have low thyroid function, even if the serum thyroid hormone levels seem normal.

Physical symptoms also often include impaired hair and nail growth, fatigue that

can be severe, nervous sensitivity and irritability, a tendency for infections

and cancer, an impaired immune response in general, weak adrenal activity, and

other symptoms as well that are secondary and related to these such as

hypoglycemia, allergies, asthma, low or high blood pressure, arterial disease

and others.

http://drlwilson.com/Articles/SELENIUM.htm

Isocort, HC and other cortisol supplements " will " affect weight, it doesn't

matter if it's " replacement dose " or not, ask just about any 's patient.

The adrenal groups make it sound so easy to take care of, it's not an easy

solution and it would be highly advisable to read through the article that

posted the other day about the side effects. Nothing is in isolation in the

body. In addition to iodine, investigating amino acids, liver and kidney

detoxing, resolving gut and the inflammation issue would be a much more prudent

way to go. JMO, YMMV.

Linn

> > > > >

> > > > > Hi, and others,

> > > > >

> > > > > I was searching through the archives for answers to some of

> > what the

> > > > > Adrenal gp says about iodine, and came across a discussion about

> > > > > taking T3-only meds. , you made this statement:

> > > > >

> > > > > The reason I question it is because the RT3 and Adrenal group

> > spew

> > > > > nonsense to their members that leave them sick and desperate.

> > I hate

> > > > > to see people react out of fear. There have been several

> > people here

> > > > > that have listened to them out of fear and have returned when

> > they

> > > > > were even sicker. Took the advice here and have regained their

> > > > > health. It is difficult to find but the information can be

> > found in

> > > > > the archives of how much trouble these two groups have been.

> > If you

> > > > > knew the main leader of those groups who insists she was

> > right you

> > > > > would know that taking her advice was not wise. She is a VERY

> > ill

> > > > > individual.

> > > > >

> > > > > I was wondering if you could give some specific examples? I

> > joined

> > > > > the group a few weeks ago and, at least on adrenal stuff,

> > they seem

> > > > > very knowledgeable, have given me some concrete advice that

> > was very

> > > > > helpful, but the generality of your statement makes me worry

> > that

> > > > > maybe something they've told ME to do might be harmful. If

> > it's a

> > > > > short list, can you enlighten us what advice you think is bad,

> > > > and why?

> > > > >

> > > > > -Angie

> > > > >

> > > > > " Most political quotes at the bottoms of emails are of

> > questionable

> > > > > authenticity " - Abraham Lincoln

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > -Angie

> > >

> > > " Most political quotes at the bottoms of emails are of questionable

> > > authenticity " - Abraham Lincoln

> > >

> >

> >

>

> -Angie

>

>

P.S. - Forgot to add that if it were me, I would also add in systemic enzymes

(VitalzymX or something similar) for the inflammation and also make sure you're

taking a good probiotic, (Natren or something similar.) Another product you

might investigate is MegaHydrate by Dr. Flanagan, reduces inflammation

and helps with waste removal at a cellular level, much more info here:

http://www.megahydrate.com/index.html

Linn

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Hi, and others,

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I was searching through the archives for answers to some of

> > > what the

> > > > > > Adrenal gp says about iodine, and came across a discussion about

> > > > > > taking T3-only meds. , you made this statement:

> > > > > >

> > > > > > The reason I question it is because the RT3 and Adrenal group

> > > spew

> > > > > > nonsense to their members that leave them sick and desperate.

> > > I hate

> > > > > > to see people react out of fear. There have been several

> > > people here

> > > > > > that have listened to them out of fear and have returned when

> > > they

> > > > > > were even sicker. Took the advice here and have regained their

> > > > > > health. It is difficult to find but the information can be

> > > found in

> > > > > > the archives of how much trouble these two groups have been.

> > > If you

> > > > > > knew the main leader of those groups who insists she was

> > > right you

> > > > > > would know that taking her advice was not wise. She is a VERY

> > > ill

> > > > > > individual.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I was wondering if you could give some specific examples? I

> > > joined

> > > > > > the group a few weeks ago and, at least on adrenal stuff,

> > > they seem

> > > > > > very knowledgeable, have given me some concrete advice that