RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: Newbie: companian nutrients

Rate this topic

Guest guest

This is what is in Thyrotophin:

Proprietary Blend: 109 mgMagnesium citrate and bovine thyroid PMG™ extract (processed to remove its thyroxine).

Other Ingredients: Calcium lactate, cellulose, and calcium stearate.

Magnesium is part of what we recommend. I have recommended a Buffered C Powder that has Mg, Ca, K & Vit C - so that would handle both nutrients. I use BalanCe from www.vrp.com or an Allergy Research product called Buffered C Powder from Cassia root.

Here is a description of what the Thyroid PMG does http://www.standardprocess.com/display/displayFile.aspx?docid=178 & filename=/Public/Lit/TabSheets/thytrophinpmg8025.pdf but honestly I have not known anyone who has taken this so I don't know that it is a "must".

My comments are also below.....

Buist, ND HC

Re: Newbie: companian nutrients

My naturopath demands SP Thytrophin as critical while on any type of thyroid support and/or iodine. I wouldnt pretend to know any of your questions answers though. hope others can help with that>> I posted some questions earlier, but it didn't take for some reason, so I will jump in here....> > On the magnesium: I use Magnesium chloride in a foot soak, is this not going to work? Does it have to be oral? I do have Magnesium Glycinate on the shelf, but not citrate or oxide. > It should be OK to do foot soaks as this is a highly absorbable entry point for magnesium.

> Also, I am exclusively breastfeeding my 7 mo old... I understand I can do up to 12.5 mg (or one tab Iodorol). Should I work up to that, or can I just jump in at 1 tablet? Also, with the breastfeeding concern, can I take all the companian nutrients: the B vitamins, Vit C, selenium, etc at all the recommended doses, or do they need to be adjusted in some way?> If it were me, I would try the 12.5 mgs but if you start feeling a detox then back it down. You don't want to push toxins to the breast milk. The companion nutrients should be fine but I would probably be the most cautious of selenium and go toward 200 mcg. If you like Brazil nuts you can use that to supplement a little more. The great thing about whole food nutrients is that there are enzymes and other cofactors that change the aspects of the nutrients in the body. I always feel best about trying to get my nutrients in food rather than supplements. Maybe there is no reason to but I think this is how we were designed to get our nutrients.

> Last question, I was going to order the SP Thytrophin. Should I take taht too, or wait until I've done the Iodorol for a while? I read an article recently (by a Dr. Howenstine) that said that breast cancer incidence increases on thyroid supplementation (natural as well as synthetic), especially the longer the person is on it----and that iodine can eliminate the need for the natural/synthetic thyroid, thus eliminating this risk. Would SP's Thytrophin fall into the "natural thyroid supplementation" category?? It makes me concerned to be on anything like that, particularly before doing much with iodine. >I have asked the iodine docs why there is an increase in risk of breast cancer when on thyroid meds and it relates to a deficiency in iodine. Thytrophin would not protect you from this. Thytrophin is not a thyroid hormone product. Read the attachment I am linking in this e-mail.

> I'm sorry if the questions are silly... I am on a huge learning curve right now... so much to try and absorb, and so little time and energy!> > The only silly question is one not asked. :)

Buist, ND HC

> Thank you so much in advance!> Michele>

,> Last question, I was going to order the SP Thytrophin. Should I take taht too, or wait until I've done the Iodorol for a while? I read an article recently (by a Dr. Howenstine) that said that breast cancer incidence increases on thyroid supplementation (natural as well as synthetic), especially the longer the person is on it----and that iodine can eliminate the need for the natural/synthetic thyroid, thus eliminating this risk. Would SP's Thytrophin fall into the " natural thyroid supplementation " category?? It makes me concerned to be on anything like that, particularly before doing much with iodine. 

>I have asked the iodine docs why there is an increase in risk of breast cancer when on thyroid meds and it relates to a deficiency in iodine.  Thytrophin would not protect you from this.  Thytrophin is not a thyroid hormone product.  Read the attachment I am linking in this e-mail.

I am a little confused about your statement that Standard Process Thytrophin is not a thyroid hormone product when it contains bovine thyroid extract (minus the thyroxine). Am I misreading something?

Also, regarding the original poster's question about whether SP Thytrophin would increase the chances of breast cancer - since the breast cancer risk is because of the iodine insufficiency and not the thyroid replacement, it would seem that Thytrophin would not CAUSE an increased risk. It would also not protect against cancer because of the need for iodine.

Thanks. in AlaskaOn Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 4:19 PM, Buist, ND HC <stephaniebnd@...> wrote:

This is what is in Thyrotophin:

Proprietary Blend: 109 mgMagnesium citrate and bovine thyroid PMG™ extract (processed to remove its thyroxine).

Other Ingredients: Calcium lactate, cellulose, and calcium stearate.

Magnesium is part of what we recommend.  I have recommended a Buffered C Powder that has Mg, Ca, K & Vit C - so that would handle both nutrients.  I use BalanCe from www.vrp.com or an Allergy Research product called Buffered C Powder from Cassia root. 

Here is a description of what the Thyroid PMG does http://www.standardprocess.com/display/displayFile.aspx?docid=178 & filename=/Public/Lit/TabSheets/thytrophinpmg8025.pdf but honestly I have not known anyone who has taken this so I don't know that it is a " must " . 

My comments are also below.....

Buist, ND HC

My naturopath demands SP Thytrophin as critical while on any type of thyroid support and/or iodine. I wouldnt pretend to know any of your questions answers though. hope others can help with that>> I posted some questions earlier, but it didn't take for some reason, so I will jump in here....> > On the magnesium: I use Magnesium chloride in a foot soak, is this not going to work? Does it have to be oral? I do have Magnesium Glycinate on the shelf, but not citrate or oxide. > It should be OK to do foot soaks as this is a highly absorbable entry point for magnesium.

> Also, I am exclusively breastfeeding my 7 mo old... I understand I can do up to 12.5 mg (or one tab Iodorol). Should I work up to that, or can I just jump in at 1 tablet? Also, with the breastfeeding concern, can I take all the companian nutrients: the B vitamins, Vit C, selenium, etc at all the recommended doses, or do they need to be adjusted in some way?> If it were me, I would try the 12.5 mgs but if you start feeling a detox then back it down.  You don't want to push toxins to the breast milk.  The companion nutrients should be fine but I would probably be the most cautious of selenium and go toward 200 mcg.  If you like Brazil nuts you can use that to supplement a little more.  The great thing about whole food nutrients is that there are enzymes and other cofactors that change the aspects of the nutrients in the body.  I always feel best about trying to get my nutrients in food rather than supplements.  Maybe there is no reason to but I think this is how we were designed to get our nutrients. 

> Last question, I was going to order the SP Thytrophin. Should I take taht too, or wait until I've done the Iodorol for a while? I read an article recently (by a Dr. Howenstine) that said that breast cancer incidence increases on thyroid supplementation (natural as well as synthetic), especially the longer the person is on it----and that iodine can eliminate the need for the natural/synthetic thyroid, thus eliminating this risk. Would SP's Thytrophin fall into the " natural thyroid supplementation " category?? It makes me concerned to be on anything like that, particularly before doing much with iodine. >I have asked the iodine docs why there is an increase in risk of breast cancer when on thyroid meds and it relates to a deficiency in iodine.  Thytrophin would not protect you from this.  Thytrophin is not a thyroid hormone product.  Read the attachment I am linking in this e-mail.

> I'm sorry if the questions are silly... I am on a huge learning curve right now... so much to try and absorb, and so little time and energy!> > The only silly question is one not asked.  :)

Buist, ND HC

Thyroxine is the hormone - and it has been removed. So it isn't a hormone product.

Buist, ND HC

> Also, I am exclusively breastfeeding my 7 mo old... I understand I can do up to 12.5 mg (or one tab Iodorol). Should I work up to that, or can I just jump in at 1 tablet? Also, with the breastfeeding concern, can I take all the companian nutrients: the B vitamins, Vit C, selenium, etc at all the recommended doses, or do they need to be adjusted in some way?> If it were me, I would try the 12.5 mgs but if you start feeling a detox then back it down. You don't want to push toxins to the breast milk. The companion nutrients should be fine but I would probably be the most cautious of selenium and go toward 200 mcg. If you like Brazil nuts you can use that to supplement a little more. The great thing about whole food nutrients is that there are enzymes and other cofactors that change the aspects of the nutrients in the body. I always feel best about trying to get my nutrients in food rather than supplements. Maybe there is no reason to but I think this is how we were designed to get our nutrients.

> Last question, I was going to order the SP Thytrophin. Should I take taht too, or wait until I've done the Iodorol for a while? I read an article recently (by a Dr. Howenstine) that said that breast cancer incidence increases on thyroid supplementation (natural as well as synthetic), especially the longer the person is on it----and that iodine can eliminate the need for the natural/synthetic thyroid, thus eliminating this risk. Would SP's Thytrophin fall into the "natural thyroid supplementation" category?? It makes me concerned to be on anything like that, particularly before doing much with iodine. >I have asked the iodine docs why there is an increase in risk of breast cancer when on thyroid meds and it relates to a deficiency in iodine. Thytrophin would not protect you from this. Thytrophin is not a thyroid hormone product. Read the attachment I am linking in this e-mail.

> I'm sorry if the questions are silly... I am on a huge learning curve right now... so much to try and absorb, and so little time and energy!> > The only silly question is one not asked. :)

Buist, ND HC

So the T1, T2, T3 aren't in it either?Thanks..On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 7:17 PM, Buist, ND HC <stephaniebnd@...> wrote:

Thyroxine is the hormone - and it has been removed.  So it isn't a hormone product. 

Buist, ND HC

> Also, I am exclusively breastfeeding my 7 mo old... I understand I can do up to 12.5 mg (or one tab Iodorol). Should I work up to that, or can I just jump in at 1 tablet? Also, with the breastfeeding concern, can I take all the companian nutrients: the B vitamins, Vit C, selenium, etc at all the recommended doses, or do they need to be adjusted in some way?> If it were me, I would try the 12.5 mgs but if you start feeling a detox then back it down.  You don't want to push toxins to the breast milk.  The companion nutrients should be fine but I would probably be the most cautious of selenium and go toward 200 mcg.  If you like Brazil nuts you can use that to supplement a little more.  The great thing about whole food nutrients is that there are enzymes and other cofactors that change the aspects of the nutrients in the body.  I always feel best about trying to get my nutrients in food rather than supplements.  Maybe there is no reason to but I think this is how we were designed to get our nutrients. 

> Last question, I was going to order the SP Thytrophin. Should I take taht too, or wait until I've done the Iodorol for a while? I read an article recently (by a Dr. Howenstine) that said that breast cancer incidence increases on thyroid supplementation (natural as well as synthetic), especially the longer the person is on it----and that iodine can eliminate the need for the natural/synthetic thyroid, thus eliminating this risk. Would SP's Thytrophin fall into the " natural thyroid supplementation " category?? It makes me concerned to be on anything like that, particularly before doing much with iodine. >I have asked the iodine docs why there is an increase in risk of breast cancer when on thyroid meds and it relates to a deficiency in iodine.  Thytrophin would not protect you from this.  Thytrophin is not a thyroid hormone product.  Read the attachment I am linking in this e-mail.

> I'm sorry if the questions are silly... I am on a huge learning curve right now... so much to try and absorb, and so little time and energy!> > The only silly question is one not asked.  :)

Buist, ND HC