RemedySpot.com

Re: More help with Iodoral needed

Rate this topic

Guest guest

That's a big jump in dosage - at least it would've been for me. Get some Lugol's, maybe, so you can increase the dose more gradually.ShaunaOn Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 1:16 PM, agnes9971 <agnes9971@...> wrote:

Hello again everyone, thank you for your help on all my previous issues. I need some more help with Iodoral. I have increased Iodoral from 12.5 to 25 three days ago. My throat tightness, severe insomnia, severe achiness in my fibrocystic breast, achiness in my ears, swollen lymph node all came back. Does this mean, I'm not tolerating the higher dose? I googled Iodoral and insomnia and found some info on Curezone, Ehow and other sites that if I have severe symptoms like insomnia, achiness, swollen lymph etc, I shludl stop iodine and work on my adrenals first by taking Vit. C, Omega 3, Ashwaganda etc. is that true?

I need to hear about others experiences with this and what's the best suggested path on this. I'm talking all recommended nutrients and Celtic sea salt.

I appear. A bit drunk from the lack of sleep and am getting moody and depressed. I'm taking Iodoral in the morning by 10am.

Thank you again.

Agnes

Agnes,That is a pretty big jump. Am I remembering correctly that you detoxed pretty badly with lower amounts as well? Especially when that is the case, I creep up slowly on dosages.

in AlaskaOn Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 9:16 AM, agnes9971 <agnes9971@...> wrote:

Hello again everyone, thank you for your help on all my previous issues. I need some more help with Iodoral. I have increased Iodoral from 12.5 to 25 three days ago. My throat tightness, severe insomnia, severe achiness in my fibrocystic breast, achiness in my ears, swollen lymph node all came back. Does this mean, I'm not tolerating the higher dose? I googled Iodoral and insomnia and found some info on Curezone, Ehow and other sites that if I have severe symptoms like insomnia, achiness, swollen lymph etc, I shludl stop iodine and work on my adrenals first by taking Vit. C, Omega 3, Ashwaganda etc. is that true?

I need to hear about others experiences with this and what's the best suggested path on this. I'm talking all recommended nutrients and Celtic sea salt.

I appear. A bit drunk from the lack of sleep and am getting moody and depressed. I'm taking Iodoral in the morning by 10am.

Thank you again.

Agnes

Thank you Shauna and but what's a slower dosage? How long shall I stay with 12.5 Iodoral? Also, I'm not sure what to think of the side effects. Shall I take a break from Iodoral all together and take Vit C, Selenium and Ashwaganda for some more adrenal support? As I read on those other sites, my symptoms are side effects of iodine. I'm worried I'm not tolerating it well.Sent from my iPadOn Feb 27, 2012, at 5:30 PM, Hidden Jewel <hiddenjewelalaska@...> wrote:

Agnes,That is a pretty big jump. Am I remembering correctly that you detoxed pretty badly with lower amounts as well? Especially when that is the case, I creep up slowly on dosages.

Thank you again.

Agnes

Hi Agnes,There is a big difference between detox and side effects. To me, detox is gunk working out of your body that needs to get out. Side effects are additional issues that are caused by a substance.

Have you tried pulse dosing doing the iodine 5 days per week and the necessary companion nutrients 7 days a week?It would be harder to make smaller dosage increases with the Iodoral. If I was super sensitive, I would definitely consider switching to Lugol's so that I could control my dosage increase by very small increments. My husband is still at 2 drops of 2% Lugol's because his body is still detoxing. Someone shared on this loop just the other day that he started out at, I think, 1/10 of a drop and has slowly worked up to 1 drop of Lugol's. I was so proud of him for listening to his system and only moving up as he could handle more detox.

Keep looking.  You will get if figured out. in AlaskaOn Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 4:47 PM, Agnes <agnes9971@...> wrote:

Thank you Shauna and but what's a slower dosage? How long shall I stay with 12.5 Iodoral? Also, I'm not sure what to think of the side effects. Shall I take a break from Iodoral all together and take Vit C, Selenium and Ashwaganda for some more adrenal support? As I read on those other sites, my symptoms are side effects of iodine. I'm worried I'm not tolerating it well.

Sent from my iPadOn Feb 27, 2012, at 5:30 PM, Hidden Jewel <hiddenjewelalaska@...> wrote:

Thank you again.

Agnes

_

I'd get some Lugol's 2%, and increase by 1 drop per week. Your symptoms may simply be side effects of bromide detox. I couldn't have jumped from 12.5 to 25 mg in a single day. If you felt good at 12.5 mg then I would just drop back to that for a week, and then increase by 1 drop Lugol's per week until you get to 25mg, at which point you can substitute an Iodoral tab for the equivalent in Lugol's and be taking 2 Iodoral/day. 

ShaunaOn Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 8:47 PM, Agnes <agnes9971@...> wrote:

Thank you Shauna and but what's a slower dosage? How long shall I stay with 12.5 Iodoral? Also, I'm not sure what to think of the side effects. Shall I take a break from Iodoral all together and take Vit C, Selenium and Ashwaganda for some more adrenal support? As I read on those other sites, my symptoms are side effects of iodine. I'm worried I'm not tolerating it well.

Sent from my iPadOn Feb 27, 2012, at 5:30 PM, Hidden Jewel <hiddenjewelalaska@...> wrote:

Thank you again.

Agnes

Thank you,Shauna and . I'll stay at 12.5 and will do pulse dosing for 5 Saudi and companion supplements 7 days. Also, taking Ashwagandha helped me sleep and feel more relaxed. Thank you again.Sent from my HTC smartphone on the Now Network from Sprint!----- Reply message -----From: " Shauna Boren " <skboren@...><iodine >Subject: More help with Iodoral neededDate: Tue, Feb 28, 2012 10:04 am

I'd get some Lugol's 2%, and increase by 1 drop per week. Your symptoms may simply be side effects of bromide detox. I couldn't have jumped from 12.5 to 25 mg in a single day. If you felt good at 12.5 mg then I would just drop back to that for a week, and then increase by 1 drop Lugol's per week until you get to 25mg, at which point you can substitute an Iodoral tab for the equivalent in Lugol's and be taking 2 Iodoral/day. 

ShaunaOn Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 8:47 PM, Agnes <agnes9971@...> wrote:

Thank you again.

Agnes

Try backing the dose down, you can split Iodoral into 4 pieces if needed. Try

adding just a quarter of a tab as an increase and see if that helps. Adding in

liver support would help also.

Linn

>

> Hello again everyone, thank you for your help on all my previous issues. I

need some more help with Iodoral. I have increased Iodoral from 12.5 to 25 three

days ago. My throat tightness, severe insomnia, severe achiness in my

fibrocystic breast, achiness in my ears, swollen lymph node all came back. Does

this mean, I'm not tolerating the higher dose? I googled Iodoral and insomnia

and found some info on Curezone, Ehow and other sites that if I have severe

symptoms like insomnia, achiness, swollen lymph etc, I shludl stop iodine and

work on my adrenals first by taking Vit. C, Omega 3, Ashwaganda etc. is that

true?

>

> I need to hear about others experiences with this and what's the best

suggested path on this. I'm talking all recommended nutrients and Celtic sea

salt.

>

> I appear. A bit drunk from the lack of sleep and am getting moody and

depressed. I'm taking Iodoral in the morning by 10am.

>

> Thank you again.

> Agnes

>

Hi ,I ended up feeling really lousy today although I got some ok sleep after Ashwagandha and took all my supplements. I was so tired at 4pm-- a familiar symptom after my TT-- that I started to get desperate. I ended up drinking another cup of Celtic sea salt water. Not long after, I felt a heck of a lot better. Is this a sure sign that I'm detoxing?I'm sticking with one Iodoral pill for now or maybe I'll switch to Lugols.Thank you again,AgnesSent from my iPadOn Feb 27, 2012, at 10:19 PM, Hidden Jewel <hiddenjewelalaska@...> wrote:

Hi Agnes,There is a big difference between detox and side effects. To me, detox is gunk working out of your body that needs to get out. Side effects are additional issues that are caused by a substance.

Have you tried pulse dosing doing the iodine 5 days per week and the necessary companion nutrients 7 days a week?It would be harder to make smaller dosage increases with the Iodoral. If I was super sensitive, I would definitely consider switching to Lugol's so that I could control my dosage increase by very small increments. My husband is still at 2 drops of 2% Lugol's because his body is still detoxing. Someone shared on this loop just the other day that he started out at, I think, 1/10 of a drop and has slowly worked up to 1 drop of Lugol's. I was so proud of him for listening to his system and only moving up as he could handle more detox.

Keep looking. You will get if figured out. in AlaskaOn Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 4:47 PM, Agnes <agnes9971@...> wrote:

Thank you again.

Agnes

_

=

What brand of milk thistle? Also are you taking in divided doses and on an

empty stomach?

Linn

> > >

> > > Hello again everyone, thank you for your help on all my previous issues. I

need some more help with Iodoral. I have increased Iodoral from 12.5 to 25 three

days ago. My throat tightness, severe insomnia, severe achiness in my

true?

> > >

> > > I need to hear about others experiences with this and what's the best

salt.

> > >

> > > I appear. A bit drunk from the lack of sleep and am getting moody and

> > >

> > > Thank you again.

> > > Agnes

> > >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > TODAY(Beta) • Powered by

> > Oprah recycles sequined s gown

> > Oprah Winfrey loved this shimmery scoop-necked number so much, she wore it

twice.

> > Privacy Policy

>

Good advice, Shauna.

Agnes, you're getting false and contradictory information from those other

sites.

I recommend that you get your information from our site and then you can be

sure you're getting the correct scoop.

Your symptoms are not side-effects of iodine. Iodine has no side effects. What

you are experiencing are called bromide-detox sypmtoms. When you increase

your iodine amount, larger amounts of toxic bromides are dislodged from your

body and circulate in the bloodstream until the kidneys and liver detox them out

of the body. So you want to make your changes more slowly, so that you don't

get such large and sudden increases in detox, which is why the liquid Lugol's is

very good for getting one's dose up to a maintenance/therapeutic level, you can

go slowly, as Shauna describes.

You want to get rid of the bromides, that's a positive effect. BUT, if you go

too

fast, the body can't get rid of them fast enough and they cause symptoms.

Some other sites say that you should stop iodine and work on adrenals. While

that may be necessary for a few people, in fact the adrenals and thyroid are

intertwined functionally. My adrenals never healed UNTIL I took iodine. A lot

of

people have that experience. The idea, tho, is that you move very slowly on

increasing the iodine so that your body has a chance to work on all its systems

and improve things before putting another burden on by raising the iodine again.

If you only raise it by one drop at a time and let that dose " soak " (stay at

that

level) for a week or two, you'll be able to increase the iodine with fewer

bromide

detox symptoms.

Bottom line: Go back to 12.5mg, get some Lugol's and only increase 1 drop at

a time with 2 weeks in between each increase.

hth,

--

On 28 Feb 2012 at 10:04, Shauna Boren wrote:

>

>

>

> I'd get some Lugol's 2%, and increase by 1 drop per week. Your

> symptoms may simply be side effects of bromide detox. I couldn't have

> jumped from 12.5 to 25 mg in a single day. If you felt good at 12.5 mg

> then I would just drop back to that for a week, and then increase by 1

> drop Lugol's per week until you get to 25mg, at which point you can

> substitute an Iodoral tab for the equivalent in Lugol's and be taking

> 2 Iodoral/day.

>

> Shauna

>

> On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 8:47 PM, Agnes <agnes9971@...> wrote:

>

> Thank you Shauna and but what's a slower dosage? How long

> shall I stay with 12.5 Iodoral? Also, I'm not sure what to think of

> the side effects. Shall I take a break from Iodoral all together and

> take Vit C, Selenium and Ashwaganda for some more adrenal support? As

> I read on those other sites, my symptoms are side effects of iodine.

> I'm worried I'm not tolerating it well.

>

>

> Sent from my iPad

>

> On Feb 27, 2012, at 5:30 PM, Hidden Jewel

> <hiddenjewelalaska@...> wrote:

>

>

>

> Agnes,

>

> That is a pretty big jump. Am I remembering correctly that you detoxed

> pretty badly with lower amounts as well? Especially when that is the

> case, I creep up slowly on dosages.

>

> in Alaska

>

>

> On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 9:16 AM, agnes9971 <agnes9971@... >

> wrote:

>

> Hello again everyone, thank you for your help on all my previous

> issues. I need some more help with Iodoral. I have increased Iodoral

> from 12.5 to 25 three days ago. My throat tightness, severe insomnia,

> severe achiness in my fibrocystic breast, achiness in my ears, swollen

> lymph node all came back. Does this mean, I'm not tolerating the

> higher dose? I googled Iodoral and insomnia and found some info on

> Curezone, Ehow and other sites that if I have severe symptoms like

> insomnia, achiness, swollen lymph etc, I shludl stop iodine and work

> on my adrenals first by taking Vit. C, Omega 3, Ashwaganda etc. is

> that true?

>

> suggested path on this. I'm talking all recommended nutrients and

> Celtic sea salt.

>

> depressed. I'm taking Iodoral in the morning by 10am.

>

> Thank you again.

> Agnes

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

I'm not a big fan of theirs. When you finish those, maybe give Livatone Plus a

try. www.liverdoctor.com It has other helpful ingredients along with milk

thistle. You start out by taking one capsule for several days, then go up to

two, one morning, one evening for several days, then add in a 3rd (either

morning or evening) for several days again and then add in the 4th so you're

taking 2 morning and 2 evening. If you notice uncomfortable detox reactions,

just continue with the same number you were on for a few more days. People

don't usually have an issue if they start out with this process, but can if they

jump in whole hog and start taking 4 a day.

Linn

> > > > >

> > > > > Hello again everyone, thank you for your help on all my previous

issues. I need some more help with Iodoral. I have increased Iodoral from 12.5

to 25 three days ago. My throat tightness, severe insomnia, severe achiness in

my fibrocystic breast, achiness in my ears, swollen lymph node all came back.

Does this mean, I'm not tolerating the higher dose? I googled Iodoral and

insomnia and found some info on Curezone, Ehow and other sites that if I have

severe symptoms like insomnia, achiness, swollen lymph etc, I shludl stop iodine

and work on my adrenals first by taking Vit. C, Omega 3, Ashwaganda etc. is that

true?

> > > > >

> > > > > I need to hear about others experiences with this and what's the best

salt.

> > > > >

> > > > > I appear. A bit drunk from the lack of sleep and am getting moody and

> > > > >

> > > > > Thank you again.

> > > > > Agnes

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > TODAY(Beta) • Powered by

> > > > Oprah recycles sequined s gown

> > > > Oprah Winfrey loved this shimmery scoop-necked number so much, she wore

it twice.

> > > > Privacy Policy

> > >

> >

> >

>

Thank you,. I'm staying on 12.5 Iodoral for now and will buy Lugols and add in a drop. I also got Vaxa stress formula which helps me sleep better.Sent from my HTC smartphone on the Now Network from Sprint!----- Reply message -----From: " Baker " <vbaker@...><iodine >Subject: More help with Iodoral neededDate: Tue, Feb 28, 2012 10:31 pm Good advice, Shauna.Agnes, you're getting false and contradictory information from those other sites. I recommend that you get your information from our site and then you can be sure you're getting the correct scoop.Your symptoms are not side-effects of iodine. Iodine has no side effects. What you are experiencing are called bromide-detox sypmtoms. When you increase your iodine amount, larger amounts of toxic bromides are dislodged from your body and circulate in the bloodstream until the kidneys and liver detox them out of the body. So you want to make your changes more slowly, so that you don't get such large and sudden increases in detox, which is why the liquid Lugol's is very good for getting one's dose up to a maintenance/therapeutic level, you can go slowly, as Shauna describes.You want to get rid of the bromides, that's a positive effect. BUT, if you go too fast, the body can't get rid of them fast enough and they cause symptoms. Some other sites say that you should stop iodine and work on adrenals. While that may be necessary for a few people, in fact the adrenals and thyroid are intertwined functionally. My adrenals never healed UNTIL I took iodine. A lot of people have that experience. The idea, tho, is that you move very slowly on increasing the iodine so that your body has a chance to work on all its systems and improve things before putting another burden on by raising the iodine again. If you only raise it by one drop at a time and let that dose " soak " (stay at that level) for a week or two, you'll be able to increase the iodine with fewer bromide detox symptoms.Bottom line: Go back to 12.5mg, get some Lugol's and only increase 1 drop at a time with 2 weeks in between each increase.hth,--On 28 Feb 2012 at 10:04, Shauna Boren wrote:> > > > I'd get some Lugol's 2%, and increase by 1 drop per week. Your> symptoms may simply be side effects of bromide detox. I couldn't have> jumped from 12.5 to 25 mg in a single day. If you felt good at 12.5 mg> then I would just drop back to that for a week, and then increase by 1> drop Lugol's per week until you get to 25mg, at which point you can> substitute an Iodoral tab for the equivalent in Lugol's and be taking> 2 Iodoral/day.> > Shauna> > On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 8:47 PM, Agnes <agnes9971@...> wrote:> > Thank you Shauna and but what's a slower dosage? How long> shall I stay with 12.5 Iodoral? Also, I'm not sure what to think of> the side effects. Shall I take a break from Iodoral all together and> take Vit C, Selenium and Ashwaganda for some more adrenal support? As> I read on those other sites, my symptoms are side effects of iodine.> I'm worried I'm not tolerating it well.> > > Sent from my iPad> > On Feb 27, 2012, at 5:30 PM, Hidden Jewel> <hiddenjewelalaska@...> wrote:> > > > Agnes,> > That is a pretty big jump. Am I remembering correctly that you detoxed> pretty badly with lower amounts as well? Especially when that is the> case, I creep up slowly on dosages.> > in Alaska> > > On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 9:16 AM, agnes9971 <agnes9971@... >> wrote:> > Hello again everyone, thank you for your help on all my previous> issues. I need some more help with Iodoral. I have increased Iodoral> from 12.5 to 25 three days ago. My throat tightness, severe insomnia,> severe achiness in my fibrocystic breast, achiness in my ears, swollen> lymph node all came back. Does this mean, I'm not tolerating the> higher dose? I googled Iodoral and insomnia and found some info on> Curezone, Ehow and other sites that if I have severe symptoms like> insomnia, achiness, swollen lymph etc, I shludl stop iodine and work> on my adrenals first by taking Vit. C, Omega 3, Ashwaganda etc. is> that true? > > I need to hear about others experiences with this and what's the best> suggested path on this. I'm talking all recommended nutrients and> Celtic sea salt. > > I appear. A bit drunk from the lack of sleep and am getting moody and> depressed. I'm taking Iodoral in the morning by 10am. > > Thank you again.> Agnes> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

Thank you for the detailed advice. I will definitely stop rushing the iodine dose increases. Sent from my iPadOn Feb 28, 2012, at 10:31 PM, " Baker" <vbaker@...> wrote:

Good advice, Shauna.

Agnes, you're getting false and contradictory information from those other sites.

I recommend that you get your information from our site and then you can be

sure you're getting the correct scoop.

Your symptoms are not side-effects of iodine. Iodine has no side effects. What

you are experiencing are called bromide-detox sypmtoms. When you increase

your iodine amount, larger amounts of toxic bromides are dislodged from your

body and circulate in the bloodstream until the kidneys and liver detox them out

of the body. So you want to make your changes more slowly, so that you don't

get such large and sudden increases in detox, which is why the liquid Lugol's is

very good for getting one's dose up to a maintenance/therapeutic level, you can

go slowly, as Shauna describes.

You want to get rid of the bromides, that's a positive effect. BUT, if you go too

fast, the body can't get rid of them fast enough and they cause symptoms.

Some other sites say that you should stop iodine and work on adrenals. While

that may be necessary for a few people, in fact the adrenals and thyroid are

intertwined functionally. My adrenals never healed UNTIL I took iodine. A lot of

people have that experience. The idea, tho, is that you move very slowly on

increasing the iodine so that your body has a chance to work on all its systems

and improve things before putting another burden on by raising the iodine again.

If you only raise it by one drop at a time and let that dose "soak" (stay at that

level) for a week or two, you'll be able to increase the iodine with fewer bromide

detox symptoms.

Bottom line: Go back to 12.5mg, get some Lugol's and only increase 1 drop at

a time with 2 weeks in between each increase.

hth,

--

On 28 Feb 2012 at 10:04, Shauna Boren wrote:

>

>

>

> I'd get some Lugol's 2%, and increase by 1 drop per week. Your

> symptoms may simply be side effects of bromide detox. I couldn't have

> jumped from 12.5 to 25 mg in a single day. If you felt good at 12.5 mg

> then I would just drop back to that for a week, and then increase by 1

> drop Lugol's per week until you get to 25mg, at which point you can

> substitute an Iodoral tab for the equivalent in Lugol's and be taking

> 2 Iodoral/day.

>

> Shauna

>

> On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 8:47 PM, Agnes <agnes9971@...> wrote:

>

> Thank you Shauna and but what's a slower dosage? How long

> shall I stay with 12.5 Iodoral? Also, I'm not sure what to think of

> the side effects. Shall I take a break from Iodoral all together and

> take Vit C, Selenium and Ashwaganda for some more adrenal support? As

> I read on those other sites, my symptoms are side effects of iodine.

> I'm worried I'm not tolerating it well.

>

>

> Sent from my iPad

>

> On Feb 27, 2012, at 5:30 PM, Hidden Jewel

> <hiddenjewelalaska@...> wrote:

>

>

>

> Agnes,

>

> That is a pretty big jump. Am I remembering correctly that you detoxed

> pretty badly with lower amounts as well? Especially when that is the

> case, I creep up slowly on dosages.

>

> in Alaska

>

>

> On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 9:16 AM, agnes9971 <agnes9971@... >

> wrote:

>

> Hello again everyone, thank you for your help on all my previous

> issues. I need some more help with Iodoral. I have increased Iodoral

> from 12.5 to 25 three days ago. My throat tightness, severe insomnia,

> severe achiness in my fibrocystic breast, achiness in my ears, swollen

> lymph node all came back. Does this mean, I'm not tolerating the

> higher dose? I googled Iodoral and insomnia and found some info on

> Curezone, Ehow and other sites that if I have severe symptoms like

> insomnia, achiness, swollen lymph etc, I shludl stop iodine and work

> on my adrenals first by taking Vit. C, Omega 3, Ashwaganda etc. is

> that true?

>

> suggested path on this. I'm talking all recommended nutrients and

> Celtic sea salt.

>

> depressed. I'm taking Iodoral in the morning by 10am.

>

> Thank you again.

> Agnes

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

=

I've read a couple of studies related to this but I didn't think they were

definitive. Is there a particular study that you are referring to?

Considering the benefits of milk thistle and my own personal use of it, I don't

have any qualms using it. I've used it for long periods of time (at one point 2

years) and prior to its use had major estrogen dominance. It did not give me

any issues. My suspicion would be that info of this type would be coming from

mainstream medicine's side to deter its use.

Milk Thistle is unique in its ability to protect the liver and has no equivalent

in the pharmaceutical drug world. In cases of poisoning with Amanita mushrooms,

which destroy the liver, milk thistle is the only treatment option. It has been

so dramatically effective that the treatment has never been disputed, even by

the traditional medical community.

Milk thistle acts in a similar fashion to detoxify other synthetic chemicals

(endocrine disruptors) that find their way into our bodies, from acetaminophen

and alcohol to heavy metals and radiation. It is used for a variety of illness

even by allopathic medicine.

From the Journal of Complementary Medicine March/April 2003 Vol2 No2:

In estrogen sensitive breast tumors it is important to regulate estrogen

metabolites. There are 2 pathways which estrogen may be metabolized to estrone.

Altering the ratio of these two pathways has a dramatic effect on the long term

survival of the patient. One pathway (C16) that is influenced by xenoestrogens

eg: DDT and other pesticides and herbicides, provides markers for the increased

risk of breast cancer. The other pathway (C2) is associated with a decreased

risk of malignancy and is stimulated by the brassica family. (cabbage,

cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, broccoli).

I did find this:

Milk Thistle Extract Can Combat Breast Cancer

February 15, 2011

Natural Medicine Update

Recently, there has been some minor controversy regarding the use of milk

thistle extract in women with a history of breast cancer. For example, the

Komen for the Cure website (ww5.komen.org/BreastCancer/Milkthistle.html) states:

" Theoretically, because milk thistle plant extract might have estrogenic

effects, women with hormone-sensitive conditions should avoid milk thistle

above-ground parts . . .. The more commonly used milk thistle seed extracts are

not known to have estrogenic effects. "

The Problem With Fuzzy Logic

Is there any validity to these concerns? Not really. What is sad is that such

cautions may keep women who really could benefit from taking a milk thistle

extract from doing so. Most milk thistle extracts are made from the seed, so

these cautions popping up on many websites as well as in newsletters are really

irrelevant. On the flip side, the research is quite promising on using milk

thistle extract as both a preventive substance as well as a possible therapeutic

aid in breast cancer patients. Some of the beneficial effects noted in the many

scientific investigations of milk thistle extracts containing silymarin and its

major constituent, silibinin, include:

Prevention of the expression of genes and enzymes pivotal in breast cancer

development

Inhibition of breast cancer cell growth and the key pathways that cancer

cells use to grow

Promotion of apoptosis (programmed cell death) in breast cancer cells

New Data

Unregulated protein synthesis is a key event in the development of breast

cancer. Regulation of protein synthesis is required for cell growth,

proliferation, differentiation and cellular homeostasis. Loss of this regulation

leads to excessive growth in cancer cells—the greater the loss, the more

aggressive the cancer. The primary regulator is messenger RNA (mRNA) which in

turn is influenced by translation initiation factors that lead to the expression

of the code on the mRNA. Silibinin has been shown to block the signaling of

these translation initiation factors in a new and very novel manner, via a very

specific molecular mechanism that can inhibit growth of cells that have been

transformed into cancerous cells.

Reference

Lin CJ, Sukarieh R, Pelletier J. Silibinin inhibits translation initiation:

implications for anticancer therapy. Mol Cancer Ther. 2009 Jun;8(6):1606-12

breast cancer, FB, Milk thistle, Komen

About Dr. Murray

Dr. Murray is one of the world's leading authorities on natural medicine. He is

a graduate, former faculty member, and serves on the Board of Regents of Bastyr

University in Seattle, Washington.

Anticancer Potential of Silymarin: From Bench to Bed Side

RAJESH AGARWAL1,

CHARU AGARWAL2,

HARUYO ICHIKAWA2,

RANA P. SINGH1 and

BHARAT B. AGGARWAL2

+ Author Affiliations

1Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, School of Pharmacy, University of

Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colorado 80262

2Cytokine Research Laboratory, Department of Experimental Therapeutics, The

University of Texas M.D. Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, U.S.A.

Correspondence to: Bharat B. Aggarwal, Ph.D., Cytokine Research Laboratory,

Department of Experimental Therapeutics, The University of Texas M.D.

Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Boulevard, Houston, TX 77030, U.S.A. Tel:

713-794-1817, Fax: 713-794-1613, e-mail: aggarwal@...

Abstract

Silymarin consists of a family of flavonoids (silybin, isosilybin, silychristin,

silydianin and taxifoline) commonly found in the dried fruit of the milk thistle

plant Silybum marianum. Although silymarin's role as an antioxidant and

hepatoprotective agent is well known, its role as an anticancer agent has begun

to emerge. Extensive research within the last decade has shown that silymarin

can suppress the proliferation of a variety of tumor cells (e.g., prostate,

breast, ovary, colon, lung, bladder); this is accomplished through cell cycle

arrest at the G1/S-phase, induction of cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitors (such

as p15, p21 and p27), down-regulation of anti-apoptotic gene products (e.g.,

Bcl-2 and Bcl-xL), inhibition of cell-survival kinases (AKT, PKC and MAPK) and

inhibition of inflammatory transcription factors (e.g., NF- & #954;B). Silymarin

can also down-regulate gene products involved in the proliferation of tumor

cells (cyclin D1, EGFR, COX-2, TGF- & #946;, IGF-IR), invasion (MMP-9),

angiogenesis (VEGF) and metastasis (adhesion molecules). The anti-inflammatory

effects of silymarin are mediated through suppression of NF- & #954;B-regulated

gene products, including COX-2, LOX, inducible iNOS, TNF and IL-1. Numerous

studies have indicated that silymarin is a chemopreventive agent in vivo against

a variety of carcinogens/tumor promoters, including UV light,

7,12-dimethylbenz(a)anthracene (DMBA), phorbol 12-myristate 13-acetate (PMA) and

others. Silymarin has also been shown to sensitize tumors to chemotherapeutic

agents through down-regulation of the MDR protein and other mechanisms. It binds

to both estrogen and androgen receptors, and down-regulates PSA. In addition to

its chemopreventive effects, silymarin exhibits antitumor activity against human

tumors (e.g., prostate and ovary) in rodents. Various clinical trials have

indicated that silymarin is bioavailable and pharmacologically safe. Studies are

now in progress to demonstrate the clinical efficacy of silymarin against

various cancers.

http://ar.iiarjournals.org/content/26/6B/4457.abstract

Linn

> > > >

> > > > Hello again everyone, thank you for your help on all my previous issues.

I need some more help with Iodoral. I have increased Iodoral from 12.5 to 25

three days ago. My throat tightness, severe insomnia, severe achiness in my

true?

> > > >

> > > > I need to hear about others experiences with this and what's the best

salt.

> > > >

> > > > I appear. A bit drunk from the lack of sleep and am getting moody and

> > > >

> > > > Thank you again.

> > > > Agnes

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > TODAY(Beta) • Powered by

> > > Oprah recycles sequined s gown

> > > Oprah Winfrey loved this shimmery scoop-necked number so much, she wore it

twice.

> > > Privacy Policy

> >

>

I agree with Kathleen, the benefits far out weigh any worries, particularly for

those supplementing with iodine I don't think it's an issue.

This was interesting:

http://renegadehealth.com/blog/2009/08/07/the-real-effect-of-raw-cruciferous-veg\

etables-on-the-thyroid/

Linn

> > > >

> > > > Hello again everyone, thank you for your help on all my previous

severe symptoms like insomnia, achiness, swollen lymph etc, I shludl stop iodine

and work on my adrenals first by taking Vit. C, Omega 3, Ashwaganda etc. is that

true?

> > > >

> > > > I need to hear about others experiences with this and what's the best

salt.

> > > >

> > > > I appear. A bit drunk from the lack of sleep and am getting moody and

> > > >

> > > > Thank you again.

> > > > Agnes

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > TODAY(Beta) • Powered by

> > > Oprah recycles sequined s gown

> > > Oprah Winfrey loved this shimmery scoop-necked number so much, she wore

it twice.

> > > Privacy Policy

> >

>

Thank-you so much for this. I had long ago made up my mind that I would eat raw

cruciferous veges anyway despite having a huge goiter.

It's reassuring that (in the video) he says it's like the game of telephone -

just one study says that they're bad for the thyroid - and it gets repeated and

distorted to claim more than the one study ever originally demonstrated.

Great to get an alternative viewpoint that says all you need to combat the

goitrogenic tendency is enough iodine.

Karyn

> >

> > Hi Kim,

> > For me, broccoli, spinach, cauliflower,cabbage, brussel sprouts and other

vegetables that have goitrogens have so many other valuable nutrients, vitamins

and minerals, that I eat them daily. There are two I won't ever eat; peanuts

because they are notoriously high in aftlatoxin the carcinogenic mold that can

lead to liver cancer, and soy.

> > For me, it's all about balance.

> > Best,

> > Kathleen

> > moderator

> > Re: Re: More help with Iodoral needed

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > I have also wondered about milk thistle and its estrogenic effects.

> >

> >

> > Along the same lines, I keep wondering about the cabbage family of foods.

Some health proponents recommend 3 cups a day of them for their sulphur. Where

do the moderators stand on whether or not to include these goitrogens in our

diets? Avoid? Or moderation?

> >

> >

> > Thanks,

> > Kim

> >

> >

> >

> >

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guest guest

A few months ago I saw a doctor from the 'good doc' list because I had been

previously diagnosed with a goiter and was having some hypo symptoms. I asked

him about eating goitrogens. He told me not to worry about it and that he had

never seen them cause problems in patients. I was a little skeptical at first,

but now I don't worry so much. The good news is that after being on iodine I

was told by this new doctor no more goiter!

~~

> > > > >

> > > > > Hello again everyone, thank you for your help on all my previous

true?

> > > > >

> > > > > I need to hear about others experiences with this and what's the

best suggested path on this. I'm talking all recommended nutrients and Celtic

sea salt.

> > > > >

> > > > > I appear. A bit drunk from the lack of sleep and am getting moody

and depressed. I'm taking Iodoral in the morning by 10am.

> > > > >

> > > > > Thank you again.

> > > > > Agnes

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > TODAY(Beta) • Powered by

> > > > Oprah recycles sequined s gown

> > > > Oprah Winfrey loved this shimmery scoop-necked number so much, she

wore it twice.

> > > > Privacy Policy

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

Thank you ! I really wondered how broccoli could possibly be bad for me.

however, when you are battling Candida over and over, you wonder about a lot of

things.

Carol