RemedySpot.com

Re: High TSH Question

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

From Dr Brownstein's iodine book I learned that TSH is not only to stimulate thyroid hormone production. It also increases NIS symporters so your body can use more of the nutrients it needs. (My layman's description.) So thus TSH rises when you start iodine. However, the Free T3 and Free T4 are what help you determine your true thyroid health.

in AlaskaOn Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 2:18 PM, md72ud <brittbobbitt@...> wrote:

I have seen it documented in several places that TSH may rise during iodine supplementation. I have seen this in my lab work. A few details, was diagnosed as hypo 18 years ago. Just tried WT3 protocol for five weeks and quit when my iodine loading test came back at a 60% spill rate. Doing labwork once sometimes twice a week since starting iodine. Baseline ability of my thyroid which was never suppressed during WT3 is a T4 of 4.2 micrograms per deciliter. Have been taking 50 mg iodine for 11 days and started back Nature-throid 1/2 grain per day. T4 is rising an average of 0.1 micrograms/dl per day, at the same time TSH continues to rise, started at 10 after WT3 cessation and has risen to 24 as T4 has risen from 4.4 (with 10 TSH) to 5.7 T4 with (24 TSH), in about three to four weeks T4 will reach mid range at 8.5. My concern is that in three to four weeks TSH will hang high and not respond to normal/adequate T4 and T3. Plan to taper Nature-throid to 1/4 grain at that point as loading dose will no longer be needed. If the high TSH is iodine related is the body smart enough to prevent me from going out of control hyper in a few weeks from now ? ? ? Or is my TSH reality and indicating that I'm running my gland full throttle (which I assume is bad). Running at this TSH gland appears to be 20 mcg/day deficient of T4.

My past experience is a 1.2 TSH at 150 mcg synthetic on which I had zero energy and high reverse T3. Tapered that down to steady state of 60 mcg and tested hyper (+23%) on a breathing metabolic test. Original dosage 18 years ago was 25 then 50 mcg then over the last ten years chased fatigue all the way up to 150.

Sorry for length of post, your advice and expertise is appreciated. I'm a little scared what should I do?

Guest guest

I am sorry but I am not following your post here. What is WT3? Are you monitoring T4 or Free T4. You need to look to Free T4 for your status as this is the unbound protein that is available for usage. If you are concerned about going hyper why are you taking Nature-throid which will only push you there more quickly.

TSH stimulates NIS (Sodium Iodine Symporters - which are the pumps to pull iodine into the cells) as well as stimulating thyroglobulin which is the protein used to bind to the iodine to create thyroid hormones. The components that keep you from producing too much thyroid hormone are selenium, magnesium and Iodolipids which are created when enough iodine is supplied to supply the body with iodine. What is this amount? It appears to be for most at least 50 mgs.

Buist, ND HC

High TSH Question

I have seen it documented in several places that TSH may rise during iodine supplementation. I have seen this in my lab work. A few details, was diagnosed as hypo 18 years ago. Just tried WT3 protocol for five weeks and quit when my iodine loading test came back at a 60% spill rate. Doing labwork once sometimes twice a week since starting iodine. Baseline ability of my thyroid which was never suppressed during WT3 is a T4 of 4.2 micrograms per deciliter. Have been taking 50 mg iodine for 11 days and started back Nature-throid 1/2 grain per day. T4 is rising an average of 0.1 micrograms/dl per day, at the same time TSH continues to rise, started at 10 after WT3 cessation and has risen to 24 as T4 has risen from 4.4 (with 10 TSH) to 5.7 T4 with (24 TSH), in about three to four weeks T4 will reach mid range at 8.5. My concern is that in three to four weeks TSH will hang high and not respond to normal/adequate T4 and T3. Plan to taper Nature-throid to 1/4 grain at that point as loading dose will no longer be needed. If the high TSH is iodine related is the body smart enough to prevent me from going out of control hyper in a few weeks from now ? ? ? Or is my TSH reality and indicating that I'm running my gland full throttle (which I assume is bad). Running at this TSH gland appears to be 20 mcg/day deficient of T4.My past experience is a 1.2 TSH at 150 mcg synthetic on which I had zero energy and high reverse T3. Tapered that down to steady state of 60 mcg and tested hyper (+23%) on a breathing metabolic test. Original dosage 18 years ago was 25 then 50 mcg then over the last ten years chased fatigue all the way up to 150.Sorry for length of post, your advice and expertise is appreciated. I'm a little scared what should I do?

Guest guest

I think they are referring to 's Protocol, T3 only therapy.

Linn

>

> I am sorry but I am not following your post here. What is WT3? Are you

monitoring T4 or Free T4. You need to look to Free T4 for your status as this

is the unbound protein that is available for usage. If you are concerned about

going hyper why are you taking Nature-throid which will only push you there more

quickly.

>

> TSH stimulates NIS (Sodium Iodine Symporters - which are the pumps to pull

iodine into the cells) as well as stimulating thyroglobulin which is the protein

used to bind to the iodine to create thyroid hormones. The components that keep

you from producing too much thyroid hormone are selenium, magnesium and

Iodolipids which are created when enough iodine is supplied to supply the body

with iodine. What is this amount? It appears to be for most at least 50 mgs.

>

> Buist, ND HC

>

>

> High TSH Question

>

>

>

> I have seen it documented in several places that TSH may rise during iodine

supplementation. I have seen this in my lab work. A few details, was diagnosed

as hypo 18 years ago. Just tried WT3 protocol for five weeks and quit when my

iodine loading test came back at a 60% spill rate. Doing labwork once sometimes

twice a week since starting iodine. Baseline ability of my thyroid which was

never suppressed during WT3 is a T4 of 4.2 micrograms per deciliter. Have been

taking 50 mg iodine for 11 days and started back Nature-throid 1/2 grain per

day. T4 is rising an average of 0.1 micrograms/dl per day, at the same time TSH

continues to rise, started at 10 after WT3 cessation and has risen to 24 as T4

has risen from 4.4 (with 10 TSH) to 5.7 T4 with (24 TSH), in about three to four

weeks T4 will reach mid range at 8.5. My concern is that in three to four weeks

TSH will hang high and not respond to normal/adequate T4 and T3. Plan to taper

Nature-throid to 1/4 grain at that point as loading dose will no longer be

needed. If the high TSH is iodine related is the body smart enough to prevent me

from going out of control hyper in a few weeks from now ? ? ? Or is my TSH

reality and indicating that I'm running my gland full throttle (which I assume

is bad). Running at this TSH gland appears to be 20 mcg/day deficient of T4.

>

> My past experience is a 1.2 TSH at 150 mcg synthetic on which I had zero

energy and high reverse T3. Tapered that down to steady state of 60 mcg and

tested hyper (+23%) on a breathing metabolic test. Original dosage 18 years ago

was 25 then 50 mcg then over the last ten years chased fatigue all the way up to

>

> Sorry for length of post, your advice and expertise is appreciated. I'm a

little scared what should I do?

>