RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: Vit C Question--Type 1 Diabetic

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Thanks, Linn.

Dr. Bernstein's book (Diabetes Solution. Revised). On page 63:A final note: Dietary vitamin C is important to good health. In doses above 500 mg/day, however, vitamin C supplements can destroy the enzymes on blood sugar test strips and can also raise blood sugars. Finally, in levels higher than about 400 mg/day, vitamin C becomes an oxidant rather than an antioxidant and can cause neuropathies. If you are already taking supplemental vitamin C, I urge you to discontinue or lower your dose to more than than 400 mg. daily. Only use the time-release form. Page 161:Doses of vitamin C in excess of 500 mg daily may interfere with the chemical reaction on your blood sugar strips. As a result, your blood sugar readings can appear erroneously low. Large doses of vitamin C can actually raise blood sugar and even impair nerve function.

Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 12:29 AM

iodine

Subject: Re: Vit C Question--Type 1 Diabetic

It can cause false high readings, but it only applies to IV dosing of Vit C and very high doses. Findings were published in JOMM in Dec of 2006. 2000 ngs of Vit C is not really considered high dose. My daughter is a T1 diabetic also and Vit C dozing has not caused her any issues. LinnModerator>> Hoping someone can offer guidance. > > I’m a Type 1 diabetic. I’m concerned with the recommended dose of Vit C because C effects the chemical in glucose test strips resulting in false low readings. Since I test my blood sugar 10x daily & dose insulin based on readings, I assume that even taking Vit C in divided doses throughout the day would effect this.> > Is there anything I could use instead of Vit C? Any T1’s have experience with this?> > Thanks,> Gerri>

No virus found in this message.Checked by AVG - www.avg.comVersion: 2012.0.1913 / Virus Database: 2114/4868 - Release Date: 03/13/12

Guest guest

Hi Linn,

Agree about Metformin. Other T2 meds are even worse.

What brand of whole Vit C do you recommend? I’ve just started Iodoral. Two weeks on 1/2 tablet. Are the complementary supplements increased as iodine doses increase? I bought powdered ascorbic acid thinking I could use it in tiny doses throughout the day. I didn’t know there was difference.

I’d love to see your info on iodine & diabetes.

Appreciate the heads up on possible insulin dose changes. I’d be thrilled to need less. Using as little insulin as possible is my goal.

Many thanks for your help.

Gerri

Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 2:00 AM

iodine

I'm familiar with Dr. Bernstein and have his books, although I don't agree with his Vit C info and the only comment I'll make about Metformin is it is a far cry from a miracle drug, typical mainstream thought process. I think ing, Cathcart, Hoffer, etc. research on Vit C is definitely worth reading. Then there's the train of thought that Vit C and ascorbic acid are not the same and the whole form is best to take. We have had a few people on the list complain about having BGs increase on iodine/ Vit C, it didn't correlate to A1c's, which again can depend on the form of the Vit C, some of the supplements contain carbs. We use whole Vit C in divided doses and have not had any problems. YMMV. Do note though that iodine can definitely lower BG's, so keep a close eye out for changes, you may need to lower insulin dosages and/or basal rates. Don't have access to my regular computer at the moment but will post some info for you tomorrow regarding iodine and diabetics.LinnModerator> >> > Hoping someone can offer guidance. > > > > I’m a Type 1 diabetic. I’m concerned with the recommended dose of Vit C because C effects the chemical in glucose test strips resulting in false low readings. Since I test my blood sugar 10x daily & dose insulin based on readings, I assume that even taking Vit C in divided doses throughout the day would effect this.> > > > Is there anything I could use instead of Vit C? Any T1’s have experience with this?> > > > Thanks,> > Gerri> >> > > > > No virus found in this message.> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com> Version: 2012.0.1913 / Virus Database: 2114/4868 - Release Date: 03/13/12>

No virus found in this message.Checked by AVG - www.avg.comVersion: 2012.0.1913 / Virus Database: 2114/4868 - Release Date: 03/13/12

Guest guest

Linn,

Sorry about your injury. Hope you’re feeling better.

Appreciate the links. I’ll be dancing to need less insulin & will keep a close eye for changes. Will keep everyone posted.

Many thanks!

Gerri

Sent: Friday, March 16, 2012 5:02 PM

iodine

Just google "whole Vitamin C" and you'll come up with a bunch of choices. Also make sure to check over any other supplements you're taking to see the amount of Vit C contained in those. Info re iodine & diabetes:http://www.optimox.com/pics/Iodine/IOD-10/IOD_10.htmOther good Optimox info:http://www.optimox.com/pics/Iodine/opt_Research_I.shtmlThere are other supplements you can add in that will help lower insulin needs but IMO it would prudent to just start out with the iodine protocol first until you figure out how it will effect you.I would use the Vit C in divided doses during the day. I take it 4 times daily, with meals and at bedtime. I would suggest at least 3 times daily. The complimentary supplements do not increase, they stay the same no matter the iodine dose. Good luck, make sure and keep a close eye on your BGs and keep us posted on your progress. (Sorry to take so long to answer, had an injury earlier in the week and got backlogged.)Linn> > >> > > Hoping someone can offer guidance. > > > > > > I’m a Type 1 diabetic. I’m concerned with the recommended dose of Vit C because C effects the chemical in glucose test strips resulting in false low readings. Since I test my blood sugar 10x daily & dose insulin based on readings, I assume that even taking Vit C in divided doses throughout the day would effect this.> > > > > > Is there anything I could use instead of Vit C? Any T1’s have experience with this?> > > > > > Thanks,> > > Gerri> > >> > > > > > > > > > No virus found in this message.> > Checked by AVG - www.avg.com> > Version: 2012.0.1913 / Virus Database: 2114/4868 - Release Date: 03/13/12> >> > > > > No virus found in this message.> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com> Version: 2012.0.1913 / Virus Database: 2114/4868 - Release Date: 03/13/12>

No virus found in this message.Checked by AVG - www.avg.comVersion: 2012.0.1913 / Virus Database: 2114/4874 - Release Date: 03/16/12