RemedySpot.com

Re: Beginning Iodine During Pregnancy

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Kelp can be contaminated with arsenic and other halides. I would NOT recommend this for you - especially during pregnancy. Your symptoms seem to point to an adrenal fatigue issue. Do you have morning sickness too? If you were my client I would recommend the iodine protocol (see the guide in the files). I would take liquid lugol's or Iodoral - 12.5 mgs max due to risk of detoxing.

Buist, ND HC

Beginning Iodine During Pregnancy

As a brand new member to the group, I've been scouring the messages for starting Lugol's during pregnancy (I am currently 22 1/2 weeks), before I asked any questions about it.I recently went through MyMedLabs and had my cortisol tested via saliva (results are not back yet), as well as all the thyroid, iron and magnesium tests recommended by STTM (I read the book last week and this is how I found this group). My thyroid certainly needs help!Around the time of my wedding in late-September, I started taking kelp for my thyroid, and felt really great for awhile. I became pregnant in mid-October. I went from having hypo- symptoms to hyper.This led me to getting tests. My thyroid levels are still low, and yet, no indication by test results of Hashi's... even though I am now having a hard time gaining weight (after years of trying to lose while not preggo) and my mood is not lethargic/depressed as it was before, now I have a hard time not being angry at the smallest things... or no things at all.At my midwife's suggestion, I stopped taking kelp. Now I am looking to start Lugol's. I have noted the recommendation in the posts for 12/5 mcg if starting iodine during pregnancy.... is there a website or file that specifically mentions this, and also any other supplements that would be helpful for hypo-thyroid care during pregnancy? I looked on the iodine4health website and didn't find anything.Any help would be appreciated!~Jess

Guest guest

,I don't want to hijack this thread, but this question has been on my mind.  Since asked Jess about morning sickness, that old question came back to my mind.  If I should ask in a different thread, please let me know.

Is morning sickness with severe fatigue a sign of adrenal issues?  With 10 pregnancies all with severe morning sickness and severe fatigue and now dealing with thyroid, hormonal and to a lesser extent adrenal issues in perimenopause (age 51), the possibility of adrenals being an underlying cause of the extreme morning sickness I had keeps lurking in my mind. 

Laraleehttp://www.PlymouthRockRanch.comRecording the Faithfulness and Provision of God for Future Generations

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 5:47 AM, Buist, ND HC <stephaniebnd@...> wrote:

Kelp can be contaminated with arsenic and other halides.  I would NOT recommend this for you - especially during pregnancy.  Your symptoms seem to point to an adrenal fatigue issue.  Do you have morning sickness too?  If you were my client I would recommend the iodine protocol (see the guide in the files).  I would take liquid lugol's or Iodoral - 12.5 mgs max due to risk of detoxing. 

Buist, ND HC

As a brand new member to the group, I've been scouring the messages for starting Lugol's during pregnancy (I am currently 22 1/2 weeks), before I asked any questions about it.I recently went through MyMedLabs and had my cortisol tested via saliva (results are not back yet), as well as all the thyroid, iron and magnesium tests recommended by STTM (I read the book last week and this is how I found this group). My thyroid certainly needs help!Around the time of my wedding in late-September, I started taking kelp for my thyroid, and felt really great for awhile. I became pregnant in mid-October. I went from having hypo- symptoms to hyper.This led me to getting tests. My thyroid levels are still low, and yet, no indication by test results of Hashi's... even though I am now having a hard time gaining weight (after years of trying to lose while not preggo) and my mood is not lethargic/depressed as it was before, now I have a hard time not being angry at the smallest things... or no things at all.At my midwife's suggestion, I stopped taking kelp. Now I am looking to start Lugol's. I have noted the recommendation in the posts for 12/5 mcg if starting iodine during pregnancy.... is there a website or file that specifically mentions this, and also any other supplements that would be helpful for hypo-thyroid care during pregnancy? I looked on the iodine4health website and didn't find anything.Any help would be appreciated!~Jess

Guest guest

I have " normal " cortisol levels that are in the high ranges, highest at night.

So, adrenal dysfunction, right? These were the following ranges I had taken a

month or so ago.

Glucose - 75 mg/dL (65-99)

Sodium - 138 mmol/L (134-144)

Potassium - 4.1 mmol/L (3.5-5.2)

Calcium - 8.9 mg/dL (8.7-10.2)

Magnesium - 1.9 mg/dL (1.6-2.6)

Serum Iron - 114 ug/dL (35-155)

Ferritin - 36 ng/mL (13-150)

Aldosterone - 39.0 ng/dL (0-30)

TSH- 1.48 uIU/mL (0.45-4.5)

FreeT3 - 2.7 pg/mL (2.0-4.4)

FreeT4 - 0.84 ng/dL (0.82-1.77)

ReverseT3 - 38.3 ng/dL (13.5-34.2)

Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) Ab - 12 IU/mL (0-34)

Antithyroglobulin Ab - <20 pg/mL (0-40)

DHEAS - 11 ng/ml (2-23)

Cortisol Morning - 8 ng/ml (3.7-9.5)

Cortisol Noon - 2.2 ng/ml (1.2-3.0)

Cortisol Evening - 1.8 ng/ml (0.6-1.9)

Cortisol Night - 0.9 ng/ml (0.4-1.0)

I will never go back to kelp, after what I read from STTM!

I am now taking rhodiola rosea for helping naturally lower cortisol. I have

added in Magnesium oil (moving over to glycinate once I run out of the oil), and

B12 as I had horribly scary symptoms last week that I am just now recovering

from... only through high-dosing at 6-8000mcg a day, sublingually.

Once the supplies come in, I'll also be taking the rest of the protocol! I am so

excited about it. I have NOT felt like myself during this pregnancy... and

that's on top of the " not feeling quite myself " from before I was pregnant, with

thyroid problems. At least I was used to the hypo- symptoms... Hyper- symptoms

are not so comfortable to me! lol

I did have morning sickness during my first trimester and a few weeks into my

second. Quite different from the 4 miscarriage babies, all lost before 10 weeks,

with minimal pregnancy symptoms. Haven't had it in awhile, though.

I just purchased everything I need for the iodine protocol, this weekend. Hoping

it comes in soon!

Thank you for your thoughts, I much appreciate them!!

~Jess

Guest guest

Yes there is a connection. I found information when searching for my own situation as I was very sick with both my children and my second child was worse than my first. I wish I would have saved all the information I found but that was before I began school and started helping others. I intend to look for this data again in the future as I would like to write a book on all of this.

Buist, ND HC

Guest guest

I think that information is soooooo v.e.r.y. needed.  So here's a plug for that book!Over 22 years of child bearing, 13 pregnancies, 10 of which resulted in a live birth, I looked and sought for answers to the severe morning sickness almost to no avail.  I know that my liver function is not optimal and after I started taking milk thistle to help that, my morning sickness was less severe but I was still non functional.  The only time I've ever had what others describe as the severe adrenal fatigue symptoms are when I was pregnant.  A shower was like a marathon and all I could do all day long..........for days.......  Now, with low/normal cortisol results, I am tired, but nothing like when I was pregnant. 

I've googled for information on the relationship between morning sickness and adrenals and have only found one slight reference to there being a possible connection.  Please.......do write that book!

Laraleehttp://www.PlymouthRockRanch.comRecording the Faithfulness and Provision of God for Future Generations

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 7:16 PM, Buist, ND HC <stephaniebnd@...> wrote:

Yes there is a connection.  I found information when searching for my own situation as I was very sick with both my children and my second child was worse than my first.  I wish I would have saved all the information I found but that was before I began school and started helping others.  I intend to look for this data again in the future as I would like to write a book on all of this.

Buist, ND HC

Guest guest

I am working on a thyroid cancer book right now but pregnancy and thyroid disease is my next mission. I had a very hard time of it with my daughter (2nd). I was 36 yrs old, had had 2 RAI's, was on synthroid, undertreated and feeling bad. I had such bad morning sickness that I would vomit all day if not for the medication. I still vomited every morning first thing when I got up. It makes me wonder what it was about rising that made me vomit. Because if it is adrenal you get those stars when you stand up along with a blacking out. Hmmm.... I will have to look into this one. I have had other thyroid challenged mothers comment on morning sickness issues.

Buist, ND HC

Guest guest

I had morning sickness, but kept it at bay by eating beans (worth the read, it's

the only scientific thing I have ever read about the cause/cure of morning

sickness):

http://www.karenhurd.com/pages/healthtopics/specifichealthconcerns/ht-shc-mornin\

gsickness.html

I am a homeschooling Mom to one, and we literally put our schooling on hold the

entire first trimester, as I was sleeping so much, and when I was awake, the

most I could do energy-wise, was sit on the couch. I had a lot of help from my

hubby with cooking, and my daughter and hubby helped keep the house clean. :(

It's much better this trimester... but I *never* had the lack of energy so bad

with my only full term pregnancy, even during the first trimester.

Quite sure symptoms of pregnancy can be worse with adrenal dysfunction/fatigue!!

~Jess

>

>

>

> Kelp can be contaminated with arsenic and other halides. I would NOT

recommend this for you - especially during pregnancy. Your symptoms seem to

point to an adrenal fatigue issue. Do you have morning sickness too? If you

were my client I would recommend the iodine protocol (see the guide in the

files). I would take liquid lugol's or Iodoral - 12.5 mgs max due to risk of

detoxing.

>

> Buist, ND HC

>

>

> Beginning Iodine During Pregnancy

>

>

>

> As a brand new member to the group, I've been scouring the messages

for starting Lugol's during pregnancy (I am currently 22 1/2 weeks), before I

asked any questions about it.

> I recently went through MyMedLabs and had my cortisol tested via

saliva (results are not back yet), as well as all the thyroid, iron and

magnesium tests recommended by STTM (I read the book last week and this is how I

found this group). My thyroid certainly needs help!

>

> Around the time of my wedding in late-September, I started taking

kelp for my thyroid, and felt really great for awhile. I became pregnant in

mid-October. I went from having hypo- symptoms to hyper.

> This led me to getting tests. My thyroid levels are still low, and

yet, no indication by test results of Hashi's... even though I am now having a

hard time gaining weight (after years of trying to lose while not preggo) and my

mood is not lethargic/depressed as it was before, now I have a hard time not

being angry at the smallest things... or no things at all.

>

> At my midwife's suggestion, I stopped taking kelp. Now I am looking

to start Lugol's. I have noted the recommendation in the posts for 12/5 mcg if

starting iodine during pregnancy.... is there a website or file that

specifically mentions this, and also any other supplements that would be helpful

for hypo-thyroid care during pregnancy? I looked on the iodine4health website

and didn't find anything.

>

> Any help would be appreciated!

> ~Jess

>

Guest guest

Yep, my vomiting was not just morning sickness but was really all day sickness.....worst in the mornings and at night......maybe not as intense in the afternoons but always there.  Just trying to get up off the couch would set me off.  If I stayed laying down, I was more apt to keep from retching.  But standing up...........not a chance.

The nausea started at 6 weeks and went to 7 mos in my first pregnancy, 6 months in my second, and 17-20 weeks with the rest of them.  It was like I slid into a deep dark hole that I tried desperately to not slide into but the gravity was too much to fight........and then it was like I had to climb my way back out of this deep dark pit, sometimes seeing daylight and then slipping back in only to try to climb back out again for weeks on end. 

My personal experience leads me to think that it is both thyroid and adrenal related with a suboptimal liver thrown in.  I threw up for months and still gained weight while throwing up.  And the exhaustion was beyond explanation except for one whose been there and just understands from experience.  

My more recent fog, fatigue and hormonal/thyroid/adrenal upsets are what led me to iodine and this group.  I am so thankful as I have seen much improvement from the iodine as has my 23 yod who is working on low adrenals too.  She's suffered from fatigue, headaches and body aches and says since taking the iodine she says she *almost* feels normal again.  I am hoping to help my daughters optimize their systems before they get married and have children in order to possibly avoid my pregnancy woes.  Iodine is definitely an important part of that optimization.

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 9:21 PM, Buist, ND HC <stephaniebnd@...> wrote:

I am working on a thyroid cancer book right now but pregnancy and thyroid disease is my next mission.  I had a very hard time of it with my daughter (2nd).  I was 36 yrs old, had had 2 RAI's, was on synthroid, undertreated and feeling bad.  I had such bad morning sickness that I would vomit all day if not for the medication.  I still vomited every morning first thing when I got up.  It makes me wonder what it was about rising that made me vomit.  Because if it is adrenal you get those stars when you stand up along with a blacking out.  Hmmm.... I will have to look into this one.  I have had other thyroid challenged mothers comment on morning sickness issues. 

Buist, ND HC