RemedySpot.com

Re: Concerned about potential hypertrophy (high TSH), please advise

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Optimal Thyroid levels are as follows:

Free T4 - Mid range - around 1.4

Free T3 - Upper 1/3 of the range. I have seen people that feel best around 3.75 - 4.0 (375 - 400 for some labs)

TSH range is .3 - 3.0 (considered normal by endos)

If you do not fall within the ranges of optimal that I have given above for the Free T's then you have to be concerned about a low thyroid condition which will stress your adrenals and could put you into adrenal fatigue if left with a low thyroid too long. TSH when higher than 3.0 and accompanied by low range Free levels is a need for concern.

Buist, ND HC

Concerned about potential hypertrophy (high TSH), please advise

I invite anyone to comment on this concern. I won't be able to see Dr. Flechas until next Monday the 27th. This will be my first visit. My TSH is anywhere from 15 to 24. My last metabolic breathing test was -3% a very good score. At that time I was taking 1/2 grain of Nature-Throid and free T4 was at the bottom of the normal range and free T3 was close to the middle of the range. Have cut back to 25 mcg of Levoxyl based on body temps. Before iodine supplementation when my T4, T3 was similar my TSH was 8.5 now for the same numbers it's 15. Is 15 and anywhere up to 25 safe? I'm worried about hypertrophy of the thyroid gland and the potential effects of overstimulation. I'm well versed on the concept that TSH can rise during supplementation but few sources comment on how much it can rise and the safety of high TSH for prolonged periods (other than the folks who say it's very bad). Also 's group search never brings back good info on this from our group posts.Thanks for taking the time to comment on this.

Guest guest

Hi,

slightly different range values here.

I recently had ten days off almost everything, not just iodine.

Suffice to say that even water was evacuated within minutes of ingestion.

oddly I tasted salt the whole time.

TSH (1.5 - 4.0) mIU/L 2.0

Free T4 (10-25) pmol/L 16

Free T3 ( 3.1 - 5.4) pmol/L 4.4

The doctor from the Women's Health Centre stated in her letter to my GP that levels should be checked due to possible Grave's Disease. TSH has gradually been increasing over the past two years.

Overall Cholesterol was 25% higher than preferred range, haemoglobin, RBC and PCV slightly high, possible Osteopenia from bone density scan..

Adding back everything - especially foods and beverages very cautiously right now.

I invite anyone to comment on this concern. I won't be able to see Dr. Flechas until next Monday the 27th. This will be my first visit. My TSH is anywhere from 15 to 24. My last metabolic breathing test was -3% a very good score. At that time I was taking 1/2 grain of Nature-Throid and free T4 was at the bottom of the normal range and free T3 was close to the middle of the range. Have cut back to 25 mcg of Levoxyl based on body temps. Before iodine supplementation when my T4, T3 was similar my TSH was 8.5 now for the same numbers it's 15. Is 15 and anywhere up to 25 safe? I'm worried about hypertrophy of the thyroid gland and the potential effects of overstimulation. I'm well versed on the concept that TSH can rise during supplementation but few sources comment on how much it can rise and the safety of high TSH for prolonged periods (other than the folks who say it's very bad). Also 's group search never brings back good info on this from our group posts.Thanks for taking the time to comment on this.

Guest guest

I do find it surprising that they consider a TSH of 2.0 as increasing. Do you have any TSI or other thyroid antibodies that are causing them to consider Graves? in Alaska

On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 2:36 PM, Marsh <hmarsh@...> wrote:

Hi,

slightly different range values here.

I recently had ten days off almost everything, not just iodine.

Suffice to say that even water was evacuated within minutes of ingestion.

oddly I tasted salt the whole time.

TSH        (1.5 - 4.0)    mIU/L            2.0

Free T4    (10-25)        pmol/L        16

Free T3    ( 3.1 - 5.4)    pmol/L        4.4

The doctor from the Women's Health Centre stated in her letter to my GP that levels should be checked due to possible Grave's Disease. TSH has gradually been increasing over the past two years.

Overall Cholesterol was 25% higher than preferred range, haemoglobin, RBC and PCV slightly high, possible Osteopenia from bone density scan..

Adding back everything - especially foods and beverages very cautiously right now.

Guest guest

That's because you have different units of measure. I don't know how to interpret your labs. For us FT4 is mid range and FT3 is the upper 1/3 of the range for optimal values. I would *guess* you could do the same for your ranges but I am not sure....

Buist, ND HC

Guest guest

Hi in Alaska,

12 months ago (I think) it was 1.1.

Antibodies are very low - no Hashi's suspected.

Concern may be due to the recent changes - skin has very quickly become crepey, hair very thin (although fast growing) nails brittle.

Have chronic fatigue from MS - but I am not sleeping well or long.

Guest guest

Hi ,

that is why I included the ranges. On the face of it everything should be ok.

Guest guest

Remember that the symptoms of adrenal fatigue can often mimic low thyroid.

Buist, ND HC

Guest guest

Hi ,TPO and TgAB would be indicative of Hashi's right? What about TSI antibodies? Were they low as well? It just struck me as strange that they were considering Graves when your numbers are no where near hyperthyroid (which can be from Graves). And your TSH would be headed down, not up, if it was leaning toward hyper. That is what caught my attention. (I was told I had Graves in 1998.)

in AlaskaOn Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 6:47 PM, Marsh <hmarsh@...> wrote:

Hi in Alaska,

12 months ago (I think) it was 1.1.

Antibodies are very low - no Hashi's suspected.

Concern may be due to the recent changes - skin has very quickly become crepey, hair very thin (although fast growing) nails brittle.

Have chronic fatigue from MS - but I am not sleeping well or long.

Free T3 - Upper 1/3 of the range.  I have seen people that feel best around 3.75 - 4.0 (375 - 400 for some labs)

If you do not fall within the ranges of optimal that I have given above for the Free T's then you have to be concerned about a low thyroid condition which will stress your adrenals and could put you into adrenal fatigue if left with a low thyroid too long.  TSH when higher than 3.0 and accompanied by low range Free levels is a need for concern.

Buist, ND HC

Guest guest

,Can adrenal fatigue also mimic high thyroid?Thank you. in AlaskaOn Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 6:54 PM, Buist, ND HC <stephaniebnd@...> wrote:

Remember that the symptoms of adrenal fatigue can often mimic low thyroid.

Buist, ND HC

Guest guest

Not quite sure what to do there.

I did get a 'stress and energy support' blend of vitamins, minerals and herbs and suspect it made me ill.

I was taking the companion nutrients with the iodine (used brazil nuts for the Selenium)

I have just had my 3 monthly dose of D3 (250,000 IU)

and am to look at getting a sleep study done in case my apnoea is worsening.

I cannot remember what Dr Brownstein wrote about low adrenals. If it requires any prescriptions I am stuck -

my GP has issues with anything not covered by his old text books and refuses to read any new material. It took ten years before he heard enough information about D3 to be comfortable with it!

Guest guest

Hi ,

There was only the four aspects tested - TSH, free T3, FreeT4, and antibodies. Perhaps the suggestion came from observation? If so, it would be rare, indeed.

Free T3 - Upper 1/3 of the range. I have seen people that feel best around 3.75 - 4.0 (375 - 400 for some labs)

If you do not fall within the ranges of optimal that I have given above for the Free T's then you have to be concerned about a low thyroid condition which will stress your adrenals and could put you into adrenal fatigue if left with a low thyroid too long. TSH when higher than 3.0 and accompanied by low range Free levels is a need for concern.

Buist, ND HC