RemedySpot.com

Re: Haemachromatosis

Rate this topic

Guest guest

If it were me, I'd push for a test for this.

Chris

>

>

> Question is should I be worried and take this further? My BP is on the high

side - I am about to take a supplement to help that - and do more with lifestyle

too.

>

> Any help would be much appreciated.

>

> Pippa

>

Pippa I've put an attachement of Newcastle's Haemochromatosis guidelines Below I've cut and pasted the first steps... Your Ferritin isn't too high but warrants repeating since you have family with HH genes... It would be great if you could note all family members and genetic background if possible before your appointment with you GP. Don't be put off if he / she refuses further testing ...always ask for a repeat test to be done to rule out any rise in

your ferritin but most of all the Tsat's Hope this helps.. Jaki

Measure fasting transferrin saturation (TS) and serum ferritin.

If the TS is > 45% and serum ferritin > 300 μg/l for men/post-menopausal women and > 200 μg/l for pre-menopausal women, proceed to Step TwoIf below these levels, no further assessment required.

Some time back I posted my latest Blood Test results and commented that ferritin levels were quite high. I am not supplementing

Ferritin (XE24r) 188.1 ug/L (10.0 - 204.0)

Yesterday I had an email from my sister warning that a cousin is having treatment for Haemachromatosis (her mother and my mother were sisters). Apparently her father also suffered. My mother died young of breast cancer and we don't know about her iron levels.

Question is should I be worried and take this further? My BP is on the high side - I am about to take a supplement to help that - and do more with lifestyle too.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Pippa

1 of 1 File(s)

HaemochromatosisGuidelinesAug2010[1].pdf