RemedySpot.com

Re: For Noreen

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Last year I was taken into hospital twice within 5 weeks, (once by ambulance) vomiting, seriously ill, couldn't walk at all, severely dehydrated and I felt I was barely conscious. I was given IVs and rehydrated and admitted. The next day they did endoscopies but didn't really find anything except bacteria (glad I didn't have more ulcers though!!) However, they are lovely to me there as my husband works in the operating theatre in hospital (thankfully!!!!!) but they scratch their heads and tell me I'm a mystery. I've often wondered if I had 's. Also, I've gotten extremely dehydrated without either vomiting or having diarrhea.

Oops, I just got the result of the morning plasma cortisol.

It was 630 with a range of 100 - 500.

I don't have the evening result

These were the results I got back in October:

Sodium

(136 - 145)

Potassium

(3.7 - 4.8)

Chloride

(98 - 107)

109*

Creatinine

(44 - 84)

Magnesium

(0.66 - 1.07)

I went down to 7 st. 9 lbs last year, am about 8 st. now. I eat like a horse but don't eat too much rubbish, eat some but not an awful lot. A dietician was sent down to me and she told me to eat more biscuits, chocolate, icecream, cream etc. With the amount I eat, I think I should be approx. 9 st. or more. Also there's nothing over my tailbone except skin, which is why the dietician was sent to see me. It's still the same, even though I've managed to put up about 5 lbs in the last 5 months.

I'm not on HRT but think I'll be put on oestrogen patches soon.

On 30 January 2012 15:19, Noreen <noreenmur@...> wrote:

Oops, I just got the result of the morning plasma cortisol.

It was 630 with a range of 100 - 500.

Hello Noreen – guest have just left, I am half cut (far too much wine), but before falling onto my pillow I just wanted to quickly put your mind at rest.....

With the figures you have posted Primary 's is extremely unlikely – impossible even (assuming that you were talking about blood cortisol figures and not urinary ones – but then, you did say plasma cortisol, which is blood). No damaged adrenals would be able to produce a cortisol figure of 630 . The ref range you have given (100-500) looks unusually low, but even so and by any stretch of the imagination – if your adrenals were capable of producing a cortisol level of 630 at 9 am, then your adrenals are not damaged (they could still be exhausted though – BIG difference!) . Furthermore your electrolytes were perfect.... although Electrolytes vary each day, so that would not be the deciding factor here. Even ians do have days when their electrolytes are fine.....

This is not to say that there is nothing wrong with you. I am sure there is, but it's not primary 's.

Secondary 's could be a possibility with the symptoms you present and it might need looking into, but I know too little about it to be specific or tell you more. I know that with secondary AD the electrolyte figures are unaffected. The "fault" lies with the pituitary function and you would need to have your am serum ACTH output measured, perhaps even have an MRI brain scan and a couple of other tests. I can't tell you much about it, as I am on shaky ground with that one. I know the principle, but not the specifics.

Best wishes,