RemedySpot.com

On T3 only, feeling very unwell

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi,I have M.E., Lyme Disease, Fibromyalgia, Arthritis. Diagnosed with hypo and adrenal problems on 5th December, 2011 and was prescribed:T3 Liotironina (liothyronine) 20mcg in the morningCoQ10 100mg 1 per day DHEA 25 mg 1 per dayThe improvement was great!!! I was delighted. One week later, 12th December, I was told to take a 2nd T3 at 2pm. I went downhill from then on.The following week, the professor I attend explained that I have a downturn of thyroxine, i.e. I'm suppressing the production of T4 and I'm missing that. He said to increased DHEA to twice daily and CoQ10 to 3 times daily. Got bloods taken the following morning & then got an iron injection & a B12 injection. Had 2 more B12 injections about a week or so later. Had a further B12 injection on 27th January.On 18th January, 2012, told to take a further T3 at 6pm and got more blood tests done. Phoned him again on 24th Jan to say how unwell I still am. He said to take the T3 at 7am, noon & 4pm and to double CoQ10, i.e. take 600mg per day.I finally got Vit D result and it was 30 (range > 50) so am quite deficient in it. I started taking 10,000 IUs on Monday 17th January.I'm in agony, totally exhausted, no stamina whatsoever and finding it very difficult to go back to this after having improved. Can barely get out of bed, most days if I get dressed, that's all I'm able to do for a few hours.I only realised the CoQ10 I was taking was Ubiquinone so I've ordered Ubiquinol. I've read that Ubiquinol is the proper one. Only Ubiquinol I could get that was soy-free was in the U.S. But I'll have to finish off the ones I have before starting the new ones. Blood results are as follows:20/10/11TSH mIU/L Range (0.35 - 5.5) 1.74Reverse T3 ug/L Range (0.09 - 0.35) 0.26Free T3 pmol/L Range (3.5 - 6.5) 3.7FT4 pmol/L Range (8.5 - 23) 14.9Oestradiol: 45.7Oestradiol Range; 71.6 - 520.2 Follicular 204.8 - 786.1 Luteal 234.5 - 1309.0 Mid Cycle <118.2 Post menopausal20/12/11TSH mIU/L Range (0.35 - 5.5) < 0.08Free T3 pmol/L Range (3.5 - 6.5) 3.3FT4 pmol/L Range (8.5 - 23) 8.9(Fasting. Last T3 was taken at 2pm previous day)30/12/11Free T3 pmol/L Range (3.5 - 6.5) 7.1(Taken 90 mins after taking T3)19/1/'12TSH mIU/L Range (0.35 - 5.5) < 0.08Free T3 pmol/L Range (3.5 - 6.5) 9.5 FT4 pmol/L Range (8.5 - 23) 6.9At the moment, I'm taking:T3 Liotironina (liothyronine) 20mcg 3 per day CoQ10 100mg 6 per day DHEA 25 mg 2 per day Baclofen (for muscles) 5 mg 3 per dayNexium (for tummy) 40 mg 2 per dayParacetamol (for arthritis) 100mg 6 per dayVit D 5,000mg 2 per dayFolic Acid 0.4 mg 1 per dayLyrica 75 mg 1 per day Can somebody please advise me as I feel I'm going in the right direction, i.e. my TSH islow and my T4 is going lower too so I think that's the plan so that I stop making reverse T3. But is it normal to feel so debilitated?I've asked about my oestradiol on a separate post, hope this was okay? Just thought I'd give the result here too in case they were of importance. Sheila gave me advice on this, thanks Sheila xMaybe it's a case of having to go through this until my numbers are right?? This is okay with me, after 25 years I have patience :-) I had blood cortisol tests done last Friday, at 8am & 8pm. I'm awaiting DHEAS and Reverse T3 results. Last year I was taken into hospital twice within 5 weeks, (once by ambulance) vomiting, seriously ill, couldn't walk at all, severely dehydrated and I felt I was barely conscious. I was given IVs and rehydrated and admitted. The next day they did endoscopies but didn't really find anything except bacteria (glad I didn't have more ulcers though!!) However, they are lovely to me there as my husband works in the operating theatre in hospital (thankfully!!!!!) but they scratch their heads and tell me I'm a mystery. I've often wondered if I had 's.I know the above is a lot to take in but I would really appreciate any comments/advice. Sorry for the long letter.Many thanks.Regards,Noreen

Hi Noreen,

You should read my book - it outlines a best in class method for T3 dosing.

Taking 20 micrograms of T3 in one go may be OK for the first T3 dose but simply

adding big lumps of T3 is not a smart way to use it as it will reduce T4

conversion as well as reducing the total T4 you are making and place a demand on

your adrenals for more glucose.

Please get my book and read it.

Have you had a Synacthen test to ensure your adrenal glands are performing well?

What is your blood pressure? Do you get dizzy when standing up?

I can't tell exactly how much T3 you are taking now - 3 doses but are they all

of 20 - if so then this is a huge increase in level in a short time. I would

never have done this myself.

If you have no adrenal results that suggest you have 's or

hypopituitarism then I suggest you set your alarm and take your first 20 two to

three hours prior to getting out of bed on a morning. This will help your

adrenal glands. It is a method contained in my book which I have called the

Circadian T3 Method and it often works pretty well.

I'm not sure that I would take two extra 20s - I'd have added a 10 mcg (half

tablet) and another one late morning and afternoon to begin with.

Please read my book though - it will help you.

Best wishes,

------

Author of: Recovering with T3 My Journey from Hypothyroidism to Good Health

Using the T3 Thyroid Hormone

My facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/recoveringwitht3

My website: http://recoveringwitht3.com/

>

> Hi,

> I have M.E., Lyme Disease, Fibromyalgia, Arthritis. Diagnosed with hypo

> and adrenal problems on 5th December, 2011 and was prescribed:

> T3 Liotironina (liothyronine) 20mcg in the morningCoQ10 100mg

Hi,Thanks fro replying and I will buy your book.   Am just looking to see if I can buy the eBook version of it.Like I said I've been ill for 25 years and was very pleased (as you can imagine) that he found something wrong with me and gave me a diagnosis.

I was following the advice given to me by the professor I'm attending.  He's very particular and I speak to him regularly on the phone.    He's 84 years old, retired (well, semi-retired) and an M.E. expert.  But I get the feeling he's surprised that I've gone downhill.  He talks regularly about bedtime etc., i.e. that melatonin kicks in from 9pm and that we should be in bed by 10pm.

He told me 20mcg of T3 was a very minimal dose!  Yes, I'm now taking 20 mcg T3 three times a day, 7am, noon & 4pm and, as I said, improved greatly the first week when I was on one 20 mcg T3 but when he increased the dose to twice a day (20mcg x 2 pd), I went downhill.  He had told me initially that I was not converting T4 to T3, hence I made Reverse T3 and that the objective is to suppress the TSH & T4 so that I stop making Reverse T3.  He also told me I have a problem with my adrenals (I can't remember exactly what he said) and he put me on DHEA.  

I've not had the ACTH test done.  Just got blood plasma done last Friday.Last year my blood pressure ranged from 80/40 to 80/50.  I felt so ill and spent months in bed.   My G.P. didn't really know what to do with me, kept an eye on me & said to eat as much protein as I could.  I was doing that anyway as I was kind of on the Paleo diet.  Some days I got help to go downstairs and changed the bed for the couch.  And yes, on standing I got dizzier.  That has improved thankfully.  The professor told me in October to increase my salt intake, which I did and last week bought Celtic Sea Salt.

I wasn't sure if it's normal to feel this bad when on T3.Appreciate your reply, , and will buy & read your book.Kindest Regards,

NoreenOn 30 January 2012 13:13, robinsonpaul80 <prtthufirhawat@...> wrote:

Hi Noreen,

Taking 20 micrograms of T3 in one go may be OK for the first T3 dose but simply adding big lumps of T3 is not a smart way to use it as it will reduce T4 conversion as well as reducing the total T4 you are making and place a demand on your adrenals for more glucose.

Please get my book and read it.

Have you had a Synacthen test to ensure your adrenal glands are performing well?

What is your blood pressure? Do you get dizzy when standing up?

I can't tell exactly how much T3 you are taking now - 3 doses but are they all of 20 - if so then this is a huge increase in level in a short time. I would never have done this myself.

If you have no adrenal results that suggest you have 's or hypopituitarism then I suggest you set your alarm and take your first 20 two to three hours prior to getting out of bed on a morning. This will help your adrenal glands. It is a method contained in my book which I have called the Circadian T3 Method and it often works pretty well.

I'm not sure that I would take two extra 20s - I'd have added a 10 mcg (half tablet) and another one late morning and afternoon to begin with.

Please read my book though - it will help you.

Best wishes,

------

Author of: Recovering with T3 My Journey from Hypothyroidism to Good Health Using the T3 Thyroid Hormone

>

> Hi,

> and adrenal problems on 5th December, 2011 and was prescribed:

> T3 Liotironina (liothyronine) 20mcg in the morningCoQ10 100mg

-- Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve. Bernard Shaw

'Recovering with T3'- by is in our TPA Library if

you would like to borrow it - or better still, I highly recommend you buy it to

use as a reference book.

Luv - Sheila

Hi Noreen,

Taking 20 micrograms of T3 in one go may be OK for the first T3 dose but simply

adding big lumps of T3 is not a smart way to use it as it will reduce T4

conversion as well as reducing the total T4 you are making and place a demand

on your adrenals for more glucose.

I would agree with that. If anyone is taking T3 only it is worth having a

reference copy of 's book.

Miriam

> 'Recovering with T3'- by is in our TPA Library if you would

> like to borrow it - or better still, I highly recommend you buy it to use as

> a reference book.

HI,

I can only sing the praises of 's book and do highly recommend you get hold

of a copy.

I have been on T3 for quite a while, alongside thyroxine, and was still quite

unwell, eventually being given a second diagnosis of fibromyalgia (as well as

hashi's) around September last year. I was taking 20mcg alongside 100mcg T4 in

the morning and was then advised to take another 20mcg in the afternoon when a

test showed my T3 levels as slightly low!!!!!! It did not work well at all,

especially as I had been put on very strong neuropathic painkillers for the

fibro (pregabalin) and this interfered with my thyroid meds.

However since starting the proper protocol in 's book to clear my system of

T4 and take small, split doses of T3 I am MUCH better than I have been in years,

and I have very few, if any, fibro symptoms, despite coming off the painkillers

completely around Christmas time as I felt so unwell with them. I have even

stopped most of the regular painkillers I was taking in the 2 weeks since doing

this system, from daily or twice daily to once or twice a week.

I am only 14 days into 's protocol, and am taking 30mcg T3, in 3 split doses

of 10mcg at 6.45am, 10am, and 1pm, which works very well for me. The 2nd and

3rd dose timings were changed from 10.45am and 2.45pm in the last couple of days

as I was not lasting on the small doses, however, since taking them earlier I

still feel fine later on in the day.

I never thought that 10mcg would be enough in one dose, but it seems to be

sufficient at the moment. I am also starting to suspect that my second dose of

T3 might need to be higher than my first, (as that one seems to be running out

very quickly) but I am still clearing T4 and won't be playing around with my

doses much until that's done.

PLEASE PLEASE get 's book (my library bought a copy when I asked!) I am sure

it will help with your T3 regime.

Regards,

Nadia

Hi Noreen

It sounds like you have someone who is on the ball a bit more than the local GP,

but i would try something very simple and see if it works.

You said you felt good on a single 20 T3 dose and things were worse after

increasing this amount to 40 and then 60.

I would simply go back to taking the single 20 dose and stick with it a bit

longer and see how you get on.

>

> Hi,

> a

Noreen, the other issue could be your adrenals. When I first went on T3 I didn't

feel well - better but not well. My adrenals actually got worse.

One of the issues may be that because you are now using T3 when your adrenals

begin to work to produce most of their cortisol they do this usually in the last

four hours of sleep. So, if you got up on a morning at 8:00a,m, then this would

be between the hours of 4:00am and 8:00am that most of your days cortisol is

being made. The method I described in my book is called the Circadian T3 Method

and it uses the simple fact that in most people our T3 levels peak to coincide

with this immense effort by the adrenal glands.

I have several thoughts about your T3 medication.

1) It was increased far too fast. Fast enough to force your remaining T4 into

reverse T3. Ideally a sufficient period will be allowed after stopping T4 to

slowly increase the T3 to avoid this and other problems.

2) You may not need as much T3 - it was increased too fast,

3) Your adrenals may need T3 support. For this you need to try the Circadian T3

Method. I'd suggest setting your alarm clock for two hours before your normal

get up time. Take your first T3 dose then and then go back to sleep. This is a

simple timing change only. If you feel better but not quite right then after

several days try 3 hours prior to your normal get up time. Eventually you could

try 4 hours before.

The Circadian T3 Method is now being used all over the USA and in other

countries. Many people on T3 are using it with good success and some of these

have been able to come of adrenal support entirely as a result, whereas others

have been able to reduce adrenal support.

I'd give this a go anyway, regardless of any dosage reduction.

Don't give up at the first hurdle - this can take a while.

Best wishes,

>

> Hi Noreen

>

Hi , I was really intersted in your post.I have been on T3 for fourteen months. I currently take 40mcg which I split into four doses at 06.30, 10.30, 14.30 and 18.30. I feel pretty good....running at about 80% 'efficiency' I'd say. Prior to the T3 I had been on Armour and Erfra for some time but couldn't convert the T4. I've been hypo t for eleven years. I just wanted to ask, do you think I should take my first dose at 04.30, two hours prior

to getting up and if so, should that be a larger dose and then make the subsequent doses through the day smaller ? My adrenals are much recovered these days but still the most stressful part of the day is the 'getting up, getting kids up plus (lengthy) school run' thing..... i can fell pretty "adrenaly" then. Very interested in your findings, many thanks julia

>using T3 when your adrenals begin to work to produce most of their cortisol they do this usually in the last four hours of sleep. So, if you got up on a morning at 8:00a,m, then this would be between the hours of 4:00am and 8:00am that most of your days cortisol is being made. The method I described in my book is called the Circadian T3 Method and it uses the simple fact that in most people our T3 levels peak to coincide with this immense effort by the adrenal glands<

Thank you all for your informative replies, I really appreciate them.  Thanks also Sheila for the offer of the loan of 's book.  I think I'll buy it on Amazon but it'll be a couple of weeks yet.

Thanks and yes, I thought there was the possibility that the issue may be to do my adrenals.

I got the plasma cortisol results:8am     630     Range 100 - 500

8pm     122     Range   72 - 371So, maybe the DHEA I'm taking may now be converting to oestrogen as it seems to have brought my cortisol up?  Would that be a fair assessment?  I'll have the blood taken for the oestradiol test on Saturday.

Many thanks to everybody again.

Love,Noreen--

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve. Bernard Shaw

Hi ,

It may be worth a go yes. However, I'd move the first dose half an hour at a

time. Leave it for several days to evaluate your BP, temperature, heart rate and

you main symptoms before moving it again another half hour.

This is the Circadian T3 Method and is clearly explained in my book - why it

works, how to do it and when it is relevant etc.

I woudn't change T3 doses that are already working well for you. You've probably

put a lot of time and effort into getting these dose sizes sorted so for the

moment I'd just concentrate on getting the timing of the first dose perfected

and then monitor things before considering altering anything else.

The worst thing anyone can do with T3 is to make more than one change at one

time. It gets too difficult to work out what has happened if things go awry.

OK?

To get notification of any changes to my website then please see my Facebook

page. The website will continue to be added to with more and more information

relevant to T3 treatment.

Best wishes,

------

Author of: Recovering with T3 My Journey from Hypothyroidism to Good Health

Using the T3 Thyroid Hormone

>

Hi , thank you so much for your reply. I am going to try taking my first meds earlier and I shall keep a diary to see how it goes. I've joined your FB page too (Yay...FB page for T3-ers) and I've ordered your book...fantastic. I've only just seen that Dr Lowe has died. What a shock........ His book (Metabolic Treatment...) changed my life, well, gave it back to me really. once

again, thank you for your reply, julia

<Hi ,

It may be worth a go yes. However, I'd move the first dose half an hour at a time. Leave it for several days to evaluate your BP, temperature, heart rate and you main symptoms before moving it again another half an hour >