RemedySpot.com

Re: Help with antibodyies please

Rate this topic

Guest guest

> I have no thyroid due to graves disease but I've had soe private bloods done and need some help with them please.> Thyroglobulin tg ----27.7---------ref range 0-40> Peroxidase. Tpo------(10.0-------ref range 0-35> Do these suggest I have hashimotos as well as graves?> Is this possible?> What shall I do about it?> .......

Hi ,

your TPO and TgAB counts are both negative as the antibody count does not exceed the respective ref ranges. Since you no longer have a thyroid gland, you would not have positive autoantibodies, as both TPO and TgAB are thyroid specific. With the thyroid gland gone even if you had them in positive numbers before, they would now disappear.

However, Graves disease is also an autoimmune disease, so whilst you do not have Hashimoto's, I would imagine that you still have an autoimmune condition, albeit it has now become 'Hypothyroidism' due to thyroidectomy. There is nothing you need to do other than take your thyroid medication regularly.

Just to explain - Hashimoto's is another word for "auto-immune thyroiditis"... and thyroiditis means 'inflamed thyroid gland'. Since you no longer have thyroid gland, you obviously can't have an inflamed one....

I do not know, however, if one would technically still have Graves disease (positive TSI) after a thyroidectomy. The removal of the thyroid gland renders the patient hypothyroid.... can somebody enlighten me about that, please?

With best wishes,

Hi their, auto-antibodies attack a different area for graves and hashimoto`s, so as you have had graves then this is your handle.yes you can have auto-antibodies to both area`s but it is unlikely to be so in your case. as you now don`t have a gland the attacks shouldhave stopped as this was the target . you can become hypothyroid if after treatment for graves you find the level of hormones are to low for your needs. but true hypothyroidism only causes the gland to down grade , in graves it up grades. so not the same thing.the tests are normal for someone without a gland . anyone no more about graves on the forum please add to what i have said.Angel.