RemedySpot.com

For Noreen

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Noreen,

I just looked at your initial post again, the one with all the lab results – but from the info given I can't see why you would suspect 's. This is not to say you haven't got it, they were just not the right parameters to check for AD. Do you know your electrolyte figures (Na and K) ? - I guess things will become a little clearer when you know the result of your recent AM cortisol. If the figure is much above 200, then it is unlikely that you have primary AD, although secondary would still be a possibility.

Also- are you very slim, normal or overweight? Primary ians tend to be underweight and have trouble putting on weight (although this is not written in stone). You'd also in most cases notice a darkening of the skin folds (inside hands for example or pressure points). Other than that – 's is called "the great pretender" for very good reason. It can mimic a variety of other illnesses. A diagnosis can be made with an SST, but in order to get valid results you'd have to be off any kind of steroid (HC, HRT, other sex hormones, etc.) for about 6 weeks – only exception is Dexamethasone, for some reason this does not falsify the SST result... don't know why.

As I mentioned on the other forum – thyroid medication is contra-indicated in case of primary AD. You first would need to stabilize the adrenals, then supplement thyroid. If you really had primary 's, thyroid hormone on top of unsupported adrenals could cause an adrenal crisis..... but let's first see your am cortisol result.

Meanwhile – here is some info on 's from the Merck manual http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/print/sec12/ch153/ch153b.html

Best wishes,