RemedySpot.com

Re: Support & Encouragement Please.

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I have finally decided to go down the route of self medicating with Thiroyd 60mg and will follow the instructions located in the files section, starting off with 1/4 grain morning and 1/4 grain afternoon. My most recent blood test (23/01/12) showed TSH 4.60 and T4 22.I currently take 50mcg and 75mcg on alternate days.I am planning on ordering the Thyroid Screen from Genova in 3 months time and presume they also check the Free T3 levels.Good on you, !! I switched over from Levo to natural thyroid (now taking Thiroyd) nearly 3 years ago and have never looked back. Thiroyd works beautifully for me, I hope it will do for you too.

There is nothing wrong with starting on ¼ grain twice a day if you wanted to do that, although most people start with ½ grain in the mornings and only switch to am and pm dosing when they up the dose by another half grain.... but whatever you feel most comfortable with. Since your body is already used to thyroid hormone from the Levo, if everything feels ok, you can up your dose to 2 x ½ grain after about a week, but wait for another 4 weeks with any further ½ grain increases.

Your Levo dose was hopelessly insufficient as your TSH result shows, and there is no way of knowing beforehand how many grains you will need for your optimal dose, but for as long as you feel fine on the Thiroyd, you can confidently up your dose by another ½ grain every 4 weeks. It takes about 4 weeks for the body to level out hormones, so if you go up any faster, you can get into a mess, as you might not feel the effects of an overdose for up to 2 weeks. Take it nice and steady – you'll get there in the end. Eventually you will feel that the dose is enough – you will get slight hyperthyroid symptoms (breathlessness, palpitations etc). Don't worry, this is what you have been waiting for, as it tells you that your optimal dose was the last one.... cut back to your previous dose and stay there. Time will tell, but this is likely to be the correct dose for you.

Yes, the Genova TFT will include all the parameters, even the antibody check. Remember not to take your thyroid meds on the morning of the blood draw (take it afterwards). I would, however, take the previous pm dose before the day of the blood draw. I have tried leaving that second dose out, and found that my levels showed up unrealistically low. I take my pm dose always around 5 pm, so there are still about 16 hours between last dosing and blood draw... and that gives realistic TFT results.

You will find that when you take NDT (natural thyroid) that your TSH will most likely be suppressed. This is perfectly normal. Don't let anybody scare you with tales of heart disease and crumbling bones – this is a myth, although many doctors do actually believe it. You will also find that your FT4 might not be at the very top of the ref range but somewhere in the middle – again, that is to be expected. Your FT3 should be roughly between the middle and the top of the ref range. For as long as both the FT4 and the FT3 are not exceeding their respective ref ranges you are not overdosing, even though your TSH might be suppressed. The main consideration, however, is how you feel – if you feel good, all is well.

Good luck, . You are doing the right thing.

With best wishes,

Hi and So sorry to hijack this thread but I cannot seem to find Thiroyd in the Files section. Came across this link

http://aldaracreamonline.co.uk/products/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=thiroyd but a search did not find it. I have also looked at others in the Files section but still cannot find it. Please you mind posting a link as I am so tired from searching. LoveJacquie> > Good on you, !! I switched over from Levo to natural thyroid> (now taking Thiroyd) nearly 3 years ago and have never looked back.> Thiroyd works beautifully for me, I hope it will do for you too.> a week, but wait for another 4 weeks with any further ½ grain> increases.> >

> Sorry to butt in, but how many grains is 60mgs?

Hi Caz - 60 mg is 1 grain

Hi Jacquie - It's because Armour thyroid was the first and the best known of all the NDT's that "Armour" has become the household name for NDT's (bit like calling all vaccuum cleaners 'hoover' ) But the active ingredients are pretty much the same in all of them; although there are tiny differences in T4 and T3 amounts and they all have different fillers. We are all different and you just have to find which one works for you. The 'Thiroyd' is decribed as "generic Armour". For my doctor I 'drop' the 'generic' bit. The fact that they are produced in Thailand doesn't go down too well with most doctors even sympathetic to using Armour. For me, however, the Thiroyd works better than any other NDT I have tried, and I have tried all of them. So I stick with it.

I read just now that there is trouble with payment at the moment. I have no idea what is going on. I have never experienced any problems with paying Greater Pharma by VISA over the past 3years. I would email them and ask what's going on. Perhaps it is possible to pay direct from your bank to theirs if they give you their details...???

Hi Thanks for explaining. I had a look at other NDTs and it seems the Thiroyd has a tad more T3 in it. I am desperately nervous as I will be changing from 150mcg T3 p/d to NDT, which I have NEVER tried. I am not sure how to change from this amount of T3 to NDT and have also been thinking that I possibly need a little T3 with the NDT. I realise I won't know this until I have started the Thiroyd.I am doing this at the recommendation of Dr Thierry Hertoghe as Sheila sent him my labs etc and he has suggested that my levels were too low on 150 T3. May on 125mcg T3 (I had run out of T3 and hadn't taken any medication for about one week before the test and was very ill when I saw him !)TSH <0.05 (0.3-4.2)fT3 2.0 (2.5-5.7)September on 125mcg T3TSH given as 'suppressed'fT3 4.0 (2.5-5.7) December on 150mcg T3TSH <0.05 (0.3-4.2)fT3 3.4 (2.5-5.7)My endo wanted me to decrease my T3 to 100mcg/d in order for my TSH to rise to within the reference range!! I was near death so reverted to 150mcg/d. Yesterday was the first day in weeks that I was able to feel some semblance of normality but am still not 100% on this amount.My endo has never prescribed NDT so I thought if I bought and tried it first, and it worked, I may have some luck in persuading him to prescribe it. I am not sure I am doing the right thing but I have to do something as my health is not getting any better and my fT3 is still low despite being on such large amounts of T3!I have been nervous to write to him hence me taking this step and getting the NDT first.I am so confused and, like I said, am terribly nervous as I had such a bad reaction to synthetic T4 and I also have conversion problems. Are conversion problems only with thyroxine or is it possible that people have this problem with NDT too?How apt is 's heading!!!!LoveJacquie--- > Hi Jacquie - It's because Armour thyroid was the first and the best> known of all the NDT's that "Armour" has become the household name for> NDT's (bit like calling all vaccuum cleaners 'hoover' [;)] ) But the> active ingredients are pretty much the same in all of them; although> there are tiny differences in T4 and T3 amounts and they all have> different fillers. We are all different and you just have to find which> one works for you. The 'Thiroyd' is decribed as "generic Armour".

Hi Jacquie,

I am desperately nervous as I will be changing from 150mcg T3 p/d to NDT, which I have NEVER tried. I am not sure how to change from this amount of T3 to NDT and have also been thinking that I possibly need a little T3 with the NDT. I realise I won't know this until I have started the Thiroyd.

I am doing this at the recommendation of Dr Thierry Hertoghe as Sheila sent him my labs etc and he has suggested that my levels were too low on 150 T3.

Hmmmm, if you had not said that it was Dr. T. Hertoghe who wants you to switch to NDT, I would now ask what you are hoping to achieve from a switch to NDT .... but obviously, I respect Dr. Hertoghe's judgement... I just don't understand it. - All I can think of in way of explanation is that too much thyroid hormone can have the opposite to the desired effect and can speed up the metabolism to such a degree that you are not getting the full benefit of the hormone as much of it is expelled out of the body at the speed of lightening in the body's attempt to avoid hyperthyroidism.... so it would a question of "less is more". Obviously, I have no idea if that is your particular problem.

Another possibility might be that Dr. Hertoghe wants to try a `natural' approach as opposed to a `synthetic' one.... Bodies are funny things – they can refuse to "work with" synthetic hormones. Natural thyroid is bio-identical and is generally better utilized.

Whilst 150 mcg T3 is a pretty high dosage, it is not an "unheard of" dosage. Your TSH will be suppressed on NDT just as much it is right now on T3 – there is nothing to be `gained' there from a switch. So what is the main reason for you wanting to switch? Are you not feeling well when taking 150 mcg? And if not - have you actually checked and ruled out everything that might prevent thyroid hormone from working? – low iron or other low minerals or vitamins, Candida, food allergies, low adrenal function.....

I'm afraid I can't help with how to best switch from a high dose of T3 to NDT.... I have no experience of that. I think Dr. H. should advise you and give you a schedule to work to .... I hope Sheila can help to achieve that.

From my own experience of mixing NDT with T3 I can only tell you that for me mixing NDT with more than just a smidgen of T3 (which is not a problem) did not work at all... it upset the applecart, made me dizzy, cold and gave me palps, and it took me weeks to get back onto the straight and narrow switching back to NDT alone. But we are all different.

I don't know what your relationship is with your endo, but if he were approachable, I would talk it through with him – saying that before asking him to prescribe NDT you would like to first do an experiment - you buy the NDT but ask him to monitor and help you.... but of course, if he were not approachable, then it's best not to open a can of worms.

I wish I could help, Jacquie. Perhaps or Nick have some suggestions?

All the best,

Somebody out there is making it very difficult for these small

pharmacies who are selling natural thyroid extract and T3.The same happened to

Afshin at International Pharmacy a few years ago, and he had eventually to open

a Bank Account in the UK I believe. You could write to [afshin@...]

to find out how he overcame this difficulty, indeed, if he ever did properly

overcome it. Medicine is very, very dirty.

Luv - Sheila

I read just now that there is trouble with payment at the moment.

I have no idea what is going on. I have never experienced any problems with

paying Greater Pharma by VISA over the past 3years. I would email them and

ask what's going on. Perhaps it is possible to pay direct from your bank to

theirs if they give you their details...???

No

virus found in this message.

Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

Version: 2012.0.1913 / Virus Database: 2112/4795 - Release Date: 02/07/12

I sent them an email 5 hours ago and they still haven't responded. Is this normal? LoveJacquie>> Somebody out there is making it very difficult for these small pharmacies> who are selling natural thyroid extract and T3.The same happened to Afshin> at International Pharmacy a few years ago, and he had eventually to open a> Bank Account in the UK I believe.

[Ed]