RemedySpot.com

Blood tests

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I went to see my Doc today, (armed with suggestions from Sheila as to what blood

tests to ask for) and I have an appointment tomorrow at 11.40am, my doc has

agreed to usual thyroid tests including T3, iron, ferritin, B12 etc but says

there's no need to test for antibodies! Please can you advise me as to how to

prepare for the tests in the morning, do I take my usual 100mcgs of

levothyroxine without food, shall I eat/ drink anything before the blood tests?

Thanks

> I went to see my Doc today, (armed with suggestions from Sheila as to what blood tests to ask for) and I have an appointment tomorrow at 11.40am, my doc has agreed to usual thyroid tests including T3, iron, ferritin, B12 etc but says there's no need to test for antibodies! Please can you advise me as to how to prepare for the tests in the morning, do I take my usual 100mcgs of levothyroxine without food, shall I eat/ drink anything before the blood tests?

Hi ,

No, do not take your Levo in the morning before the blood draw (take it afterwards). Food or drink does not influence most blood tests, but I would refrain from eating, simply because there is always a risk that the blood might become lipaemic (fatty) and that would make it unusable. This has happened to me once, so now I go to blood tests always with an empty tummy. You can drink something, though.

Pity about the antibody test... it's not vital, but if you have never had them checked, you won't know if your condition is autoimmune or has some other origin.

Good luck