RemedySpot.com

Re: Shocked and confused by 24hr Cortisol result!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Sample 1 8am- 36.1 (12.0-22.0)HighSample 2 1pm- 5.1 (5.0-9.0)Low/normalSample 3 5pm- 2.5 (3.0-7.0)LowSample 4 10pm- 2.3 (1.0-3.0)NormalTotal daily cortisol- 46 nmol (21-41)HighDHEA LevelsAM- 0.55 (0.40-1.47)Low normalPM- 0.99 (2.0-6.0)LowSecretory IgA- 249.7 (118-641)

Hmmm, ... this is indeed very confusing. I remember another case where a patient had extremely high cortisol levels (but all the symptoms of low cortisol), and when the test was repeated a few weeks later, the cortisol levels were still quite high, but had come down considerably. This member's endo also insisted that nothing was wrong with his adrenals and we asked Dr. Abraham (chieftain of Genova) what might be the reason for such high levels. We never found a satisfactory explanation, but Dr. Abraham came up with an interesting point concerning the results of a salivary adrenal profile in general. He said.....(quote)

Given the patient's current medical problems I would suggest that these results are as a result of the stress he feels rather than that they are related to his current medical problems. I am not sure why the initial test was so elevated but if no medication was present saliva can easily be contaminated with various food and bacterial sources but in particular blood. Where even trace amounts of blood are found in Saliva very high levels are seen (since there is approx 1000 x as much cortisol in blood than in saliva.

So according to Dr. Abraham a "felt" stress, food particles or bacteria and in particular blood can erroneously elevate the cortisol levels and this is worth knowing....

Is it possible that you had a small wound inside your mouth at the time of collecting the samples? Presumably you haven't eaten anything before collecting the sample, but if you had eaten anything after brushing your teeth the night before, or had not done any flossing, it would be possible that minute food/bacterial sources could have contaminated the samples.

I am not at all saying that this must be the reason, but you need to be aware of things that might have influenced your results.

Personally I think it is more likely that something else is going on. I don't know what exactly, but it is possible/likely that the recent changes and shift of hormones due to pregnancy/being a new mum and developing autoimmune thyroiditis at the same time have put stresses on your body that are more than your body can cope with and your adrenals don't know whether they are coming or going and they might over-compensate by pushing out cortisol to combat the stress (cortisol is a "stress buster")

But it is at least reassuring that this is another piece in the puzzle that rules out something like primary 's.

There are, however, other possibilities for high levels of cortisol, although in my opinion they are not very likely.... one would be malfunctioning at the hypothalamic/pituitary axis and the other a growth on your adrenal glands... but I am confident that your current endo will be able to assess you and rule out whatever needs ruling out.

If I had to put money on any of the above possibilities, I would put it on excessive stress causing you all those problems....Stress is a major player in this mugs game....in all seriousness, , excessive stress – perceived or real - is a massive factor. But how do you tell a new mum to reduce her stress levels ?? ;o)

Take those adrenal results to your new endo, , and see what he makes of them.

How are you doing, btw, on your new thyroid medication?

Love,

Can you remember if something caused you extra stress just before taking the

first sample? Perhaps even sorting out taking the first sample correctly may

have caused undue stress.

I am aware that I was extra stressed prior to taking one of my saliva samples.

I think it was the second one. When I got the results, my cortisol level was

higher in that particular sample, whilst the others were showing low cortisol.

Colin

Thank you both,

I didn't feel stressed when I woke up if anything I was more relaxed because my

mum had my son for the night and I had a full nights sleep! I am aware though

that I am under a lot of stress with everything thats been going on at the

moment and of course being a new mum! I didn't have any sores or cuts or

anything and followed the instructions to the letter.

What I am confused about is that it was so high and then went pretty low? Maybe

they are screwed up and like you say maybe they don't know whether

they are coming or going. I wonder whether they thyroid is throwing everything

out? In the mornings I do feel really weak and angry most of the time and the

low readings are at the times that I feel at my worst so it makes sense. I

wonder what I should do about all this? Do you think once my thyroid is sorted

the adrenals will balance out a bit?

The Levo is going ok I think.. had a few days of being rather dizzy and a

throbbing type feeling around my throat, really aching muscles but I've pushed

through and have felt a bit better today, fingers crossed eh!

Thanks for all your advice xx

>

>I wonder what I should do about all this? Do you think once my thyroid is sorted the adrenals will balance out a bit?Hi ,

Typing on I-pad, so this is telegram style....If your erratic cortisol levels are down to mainly stress as opposed to having a pituitary problem or some other dysfunction then i would imagine that your best bet is to nurture your adrenals with vitamins and minerals (Vit C, B complex and a good mineral complex) . I am not sure if NAX would be the right thing because of the glandulars - although your cortisol levels seem to yo-yo quite a bit... hmmm ... can't work it out. Does anyone know? And yes, I would expect that once there is a decent amount of thyroid hormone in your cells that the adrenals will fall into line. But in order to get your thyroid level up you simultaneously need to support the adrenals with supplements and make sure your minerals & vitamin levels are all at good levels. It all hangs together.Love,

Hi ,

This might be of help: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/ps/ and

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/adrenal-info/. Janie Bowthrope also had

similar findings so she briefly explains it in her book and the above links.

I seem to be in a similar situation; I have very high morning blood cortisol

levels but all the symptoms of adrenal fatigue and basel temp tests that also

suggest fatigue. I'm waiting on my saliva tests.

All the best,

Lucy

>

>

> These results are pretty shocking to me! I totally did not expect to have such

a high morning level for it to drop so quickly. i never thought it would be too

high at some point! This is where my knowledge ends and I'm very confused now! I

was not taking any medication at all when doing the test.

>

> Any thoughts?

>

> Thanks x

>

I think something similar happened with my younger son's 24 hour adrenal

function test. He normally gets up around lunch time, but on the day of the

test got up early so he could do a saliva sample at around 8am. That first

result was high, though the remaining 3 were low. I think it was the trauma of

having to get up 4-5 hours earlier than normal that skewed the result.

Miriam

> Can you remember if something caused you extra stress just before taking the

first sample? Perhaps even sorting out taking the first sample correctly may

have caused undue stress.

Hi ; I had similiar results to yours a few years back, early morning was

near 50 and all the rest below normal. I was lucky enough to have an

appointment with Dr. P. and he started me on NAX to be taken at 11 am instead

of first thing. It certainly helped at the time.

Kind Regards

Jane

>

> Hi All,

>

> These are my results following a 24 hr saliva cortisol test:

>

> Sample 1 8am- 36.1 (12.0-22.0)High

> Sample 2 1pm- 5.1 (5.0-9.0)Low/normal

> Sample 3 5pm- 2.5 (3.0-7.0)Low

> Sample 4 10pm- 2.3 (1.0-3.0)Normal

>