RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: Anyone tried 'NATURAL SOURCES.RAW THYROID'? (it's on EBAY!)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Lynne, you don't have to worry about the other generic thyroid

extracts that we recommend in our Files section under the 'Internet

P:ha\rmacies' list. All of these are reputable and most have been used by our

members for years. The T4/T3 are standardised in most natural thyroid extract.

All of the desiccated thyroid powder is manufactured by one firm I believe and

then they sell it to the different manufactures. The only difference between

brands and generics is the fillers. The eBay and Amazon sellers are selling

Thyroid-s and the Mexican 'Thiroyd' which we recommend and can buy from other

pharmacies which we recommend.

Sheila

I recently stocked up on natural desiccated thyroid and searched around the

internet including Ebay. I opted to stay with a USP (United States

Pharmacopeia) grade medicine - in this case Nature-throid. I'd be a

bit nervous about the levels of T4 and T3 in stuff which doesn't have a USP

type quality assurance. But I'll be interested in other replies about the Ebay

raw thyroid!

Lynne

No

virus found in this message.

Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

Version: 2012.0.1913 / Virus Database: 2114/4831 - Release Date: 02/25/12

Thank you Sheila. That's reassuring. I might have a go with one of the cheaper generics later in the year when I'm towards the end of my stock of Nature-throid. By the way, I am feeling much, much better - still following my " new health regime " -  and sleep has improved too.

Lynne

Hi Lynne (and anyone who can share their ideas)Hope you don't mind me asking, as you mention you are sleeping better, what is your health regime? And have you recently swapped from Levothyroxine to Natural thyroid? The reason I ask is I'm on 150mcg Levo, feeling a lot better since I was on 75mcg, however my sleep is still very poor and I'm convinced its the Levothyroxine that causes poor sleep. Wondered whether you or anyone else out there has found this and whether changing to natural thyroid or taking T3 with T4 will help. Thanks for listening!SueSent from my BlackBerry® smartphone on O2From: Winter Sittingbourne <blue2violet2red@...>

Sender: thyroid treatment

Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 09:48:57 +0000<thyroid treatment >Reply thyroid treatment

Subject: RE: Re: Anyone tried 'NATURAL SOURCES.RAW

THYROID'? (it's on EBAY!)

Thank you Sheila. That's reassuring. I might have a go with one of the cheaper generics later in the year when I'm towards the end of my stock of Nature-throid. By the way, I am feeling much, much better - still following my " new health regime " -  and sleep has improved too.

Lynne

Hi SueYes, the upset sleep was when I was trying to switch from Natural desiccated thyroid to thyroxine.I'd been on Natural desiccated thyroid for about 6 years but, under the " care " of endocrinologists, tried to shift to thyroxine last November.

I had been taking 2 grains of Nature-throid, split into 2 doses. But then in November I switched to 1.5 grains NT plus 25mcg of thyroxine - taken in the morning -  for a week and then 1 grain of NT plus 50 mcg of thyroxine in the morning thereafter.

One of the main changes I noticed on the NT/thyroxine mix was that I was waking up in the middle of the night, feeling extremely fatigued but unable to get back to sleep for an hour or even longer. Sometimes I felt like I hadn't slept at all. Exhausted in the mornings.  Even before the sleep disturbance got chronically bad, I noticed I had dark rings appear around my eyes and it felt like my eyes were sinking into my head.

I was surprised how bad it was. I tried to stay on the 50mcg thyroxine while increasing the Nature-Throid slightly but it didn't alleviate the problem, even when I tried to split the NT into 2 doses again.

I gave up in the end, went back to 100% NT and felt better straight away.The situation may be complicated because I'm at menopause. Prior to trying to switch to thyroxine, I had sometimes been waking up in the night feeling hot. But nothing like the sleep disturbance when on the NT/thyroxine mixture - which felt like a horrible exhaustion keeping me awake!

My " new health regime " has meant following Sheila's very sound advice regarding supplements. I had pathetically low ferritin - probably still only half way to reasonable levels but I'm feeling much better already after a few weeks of treating this.

Back in 2006 I was on 150mcg of thyroxine for about 10 months. I had noticed a lot of improvement compared to how I was before starting the thyroxine but it seemed limited. Looking back, I probably had issues with adrenals and low iron etc... I remember still feeling cold and weak at times. Can't remember about my sleep back then. I did seem to have more energy and stamina when I switched to natural desiccated back then. 

Oh, the other thing I noticed when I was recently recently reducing the Nature-throid with the addition of thyroxine, was an awful return of symptoms of cognitive impairment. Memory problems and difficulties thinking. I was really quite surprised how much worse this was. Horrible. I really felt quite vulnerable at times. 

Hope this ramble helps!Lynne

Hi Lynne

Thanks for sharing your story with me, it helps to hear that others are going through a similar experience. I will continue to see Dr Skinner, he is brilliant, but I would like my GP to help me more, all she ever says is that I'm "over replaced" and do I realise the health implications. But what is life if you feel so weak and tired all the time!

I'm wondering whether to try a combination of T3 & T4 as the endocrinologist I saw recently said I may be one of those who does better on that, or whether I should try Natural Thyroid, however if I go the Natural Thyroid route it will be without backup from my endo or GP. I'm also going through the menopause which I think clouds the situation too, especially my insomnia.

Is it worth you having a Dexa scan to check your bone density?

Best Wishes

Sue

Since about 18 months ago, the GP has been much more concerned about my suppressed TSH. And I agreed to have appointments with endocrinology. They recently discharged me, saying I'm over medicated.

The best doctor I've seen has been Dr Skinner. I'd stick with him as long as you can. I keep thinking I should try to see Dr Skinner again, but my GP seems reluctant to refer me again. I obviously do better on natural desiccated thyroid, but while my GP knows I'm taking it, he and none of the 4 endocrinologists I saw have been particularly helpful. NDT is just not anything they are experienced in and unfortunately they don't seem to want to learn about it either.

However, all of the medical people I've seen within the NHS seem to take the view that I am entitled to choose the medicine I want to be on. And also one of the endocrinologists allowed for the fact that some individuals particularly women, feel better when they are "over medicated" by about 25mcg thyroxine!!!

So they do "tolerate" what I'm doing - and you're allowed to be different. But there don't seem to be many NHS practitioners who have the skill or the will to treat somebody who is different from what they think is the norm. I was recently told by an endocrinologist, after making the journey to the hospital for the 4th appointment in 9 months, that the Natural desiccated thyroid which I'm taking might not show up on the lab's "assays" so they are unable to monitor me.