Guest guest

Vickyanne <vickyanne58@...>;

To:

<thyroid treatment >;

Subject:

Re: Iron Test

Sent:

Sun, Mar 4, 2012 11:41:04 AM

Hi SheilaMany thanks for your reply and the information you sent.My Daughter had her Vitamin D and Transferrin Sat % tested late last year.28/09/11Vitamin D (25 hydroxy). 54.00. pmol/L. (43.2 - 168) ref range20/09/11Transferrin saturation. 22. %. (20 - 55) ref rangeIron. 12.00. umol/L. (6.6 - 26) ref rangeShe does take sublingual B12 tablets 1000ug once a day.I will be contacting Genova Diagnostics tomorrow to have the rest of the blood tests ordered as outlined in your reply. It is no good asking our GP as when I requested all the vitamins and

minerals to be rested about a year and a half ago when the results came back

none of the minerals had been tested.All the blood tests she has had so far have been done privately via a Endo doctor in London. He never made any comment at all about her low iron and indeed when I questioned him before about the Vitamin D result he said it was in range (?). I will have a word with our GP tomorrow about her low iron but I am not holding my breath.I will be going out to today to get her some Spatone. I read on here a few weeks ago that Spatone is gentle in it's action.One thing our GP has done for her is to send a letter of referral to Doctor S in Bimingham. We have had to cancel twice as she was too unwell to travel and the last time Doctor S had to cancel for reason you are well aware of. We will keep trying and If necessary perhaps we will stay in Birmingham overnight as it is the travelling which takes it out of her.Many many thanks again for your reply.VickyannePS. I have tried to delete most of your message Sheila but I am using an iPad and it will not let me so perhaps just for this once a moderator can delete it for me sincere apologies for the inconvenience this may cause.

Sheila <sheila@...>;

To:

<thyroid treatment >;

Subject:

RE: Iron Test

Sent:

Sat, Mar 3, 2012 4:45:47 PM

Vickyanne, your daughters iron level is super low at 8.3. She

needs iron supplements with immediate effect, possibly iron injections. She

needs her level of ferritin (this is stored iron) to be tested to see how much

is being used, you may well find this is very low too. If this is not dealt

with immediately she runs the risk of becoming seriously anaemic and all the

problems that that entails. What did her GP say when he saw this super low result? Ask for

her levels of transferrin saturation% to be tested, along with ferritin,

vitamin B12, vitamin D3, magnesium, folate, copper and zinc and when these are

returned, post them on the forum. Meanwhile, read through the information here

and this will give you an idea of what such low levels of iron can cause. http://wiki.medpedia.com/Iron_Deficiency_Anemia

Luv - Sheila

Hi all

My Daughter has just had the results back of her blood tests and I was hoping

somebody on the forum might be able to help in regard to the Iron blood test

result.

Iron ..... 8.3. Umol/L. (8.0 - 25.0) ref range

Would this be considered as low and would she need to supplement?

Also is Iron the same as Ferritin?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest guest

Vickyanne <vickyanne58@...>;

To:

<thyroid treatment >;

Subject:

Re: Iron Test

Sent:

Sun, Mar 4, 2012 11:41:04 AM

Hi SheilaMany thanks for your reply and the information you sent.My Daughter had her Vitamin D and Transferrin Sat % tested late last year.28/09/11Vitamin D (25 hydroxy). 54.00. pmol/L. (43.2 - 168) ref range20/09/11Transferrin saturation. 22. %. (20 - 55) ref rangeIron. 12.00. umol/L. (6.6 - 26) ref rangeShe does take sublingual B12 tablets 1000ug once a day.I will be contacting Genova Diagnostics tomorrow to have the rest of the blood tests ordered as outlined in your reply. It is no good asking our GP as when I requested all the vitamins and

minerals to be rested about a year and a half ago when the results came back

none of the minerals had been tested.All the blood tests she has had so far have been done privately via a Endo doctor in London. He never made any comment at all about her low iron and indeed when I questioned him before about the Vitamin D result he said it was in range (?). I will have a word with our GP tomorrow about her low iron but I am not holding my breath.I will be going out to today to get her some Spatone. I read on here a few weeks ago that Spatone is gentle in it's action.One thing our GP has done for her is to send a letter of referral to Doctor S in Bimingham. We have had to cancel twice as she was too unwell to travel and the last time Doctor S had to cancel for reason you are well aware of. We will keep trying and If necessary perhaps we will stay in Birmingham overnight as it is the travelling which takes it out of her.Many many thanks again for your reply.VickyannePS. I have tried to delete most of your message Sheila but I am using an iPad and it will not let me so perhaps just for this once a moderator can delete it for me sincere apologies for the inconvenience this may cause.

Sheila <sheila@...>;

To:

<thyroid treatment >;

Subject:

RE: Iron Test

Sent:

Sat, Mar 3, 2012 4:45:47 PM

Vickyanne, your daughters iron level is super low at 8.3. She

needs iron supplements with immediate effect, possibly iron injections. She

needs her level of ferritin (this is stored iron) to be tested to see how much

is being used, you may well find this is very low too. If this is not dealt

with immediately she runs the risk of becoming seriously anaemic and all the

problems that that entails. What did her GP say when he saw this super low result? Ask for

her levels of transferrin saturation% to be tested, along with ferritin,

vitamin B12, vitamin D3, magnesium, folate, copper and zinc and when these are

returned, post them on the forum. Meanwhile, read through the information here

and this will give you an idea of what such low levels of iron can cause. http://wiki.medpedia.com/Iron_Deficiency_Anemia

Luv - Sheila

Hi all

My Daughter has just had the results back of her blood tests and I was hoping

somebody on the forum might be able to help in regard to the Iron blood test

result.

Iron ..... 8.3. Umol/L. (8.0 - 25.0) ref range

Would this be considered as low and would she need to supplement?

Also is Iron the same as Ferritin?