RemedySpot.com

Re: Help please - Eye twitching

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi Dawn,> Could someone please confirm if eye twitching is a sign of hypothyroidism. I have now had a third eopisode where my right eyelid is continually twitching. The current one has so far lasted for 5 days and is really starting to irritate me, Not sure that this is a sign for Hypothyroidism - but it is very likely a sign for low Magnesium.... try taking 400 mg of Magnesium citrate at night. Mag is best absorbed when taken on an empty stomach. Don't take more than 400 mg though, or it might give you teh runs....

> I also have a popping noise in my left ear but not sure if this due to the fact that i had a nasty sinus infection about 3 weeks ago.This is very likely due to the sinus infection, as you say, but the susceptibility for ear infections is also closely linked to hypothyroidism. Be very, very careful. The 'popping' is likely due to inner ear inflammation and swelling. If your ear does not 'clear' soon, do ask your GP to check for secondary infection (glue ear) and if necessary to give you a course of antibiotics. I am no friend of antibiotics, but when it comes to ear infections, I won't take any chances. I had glue ear as a result of a viral infection 3 years ago, and it went from bad to worse. Three operations later I was left with a degree of permanent hearing loss and a scarred ear drum. I was originally told to "wait and see".... never again! Slightest sign of ear trouble now and I am at the ENT's like a shot.

> I have an appointment with my gp on Tuesday (cholesterol result has not gone down even though i am on medication). Not officially diagnosed with thyroid problem by NHS, awaiting more results blood after last weeks appointment with endo ( see my previous post for that saga).Good luck, Dawn !

Best wishes,

Guest guest

Hi there, i am certainly no expert, but one of my hypo symptoms is a twitchy

eye. No-one else can see it, but I feel it twitching away very annoyingly. I'm

sure someone else might know for sure....

Sue

>

> Could someone please confirm if eye twitching is a sign of hypothyroidism.

>

> I have now had a third eopisode where my right eyelid is continually

twitching. The current one has so far lasted for 5 days and is really starting

to irritate me,

>

> x

>

Guest guest

Hi I had this for many year's. Forgot about it until now. But again i've had every symptom over the last twenty odd years. Only thing i did not suffer from was depression, then again for a time i felt terrible in the am until i took my tablets so maybe a morning deppression?. But i would say it was something i noticed and it was very annoying.luv Connelly (Skinnerette)

Guest guest

>

> Could someone please confirm if eye twitching is a sign of hypothyroidism.

>

> I have now had a third eopisode where my right eyelid is continually

twitching. The current one has so far lasted for 5 days and is really starting

to irritate me,

>

> I also have a popping noise in my left ear but not sure if this due to the

fact that i had a nasty sinus infection about 3 weeks ago.

>

> I have an appointment with my gp on Tuesday (cholesterol result has not gone

down even though i am on medication). Not officially diagnosed with thyroid

problem by NHS, awaiting more results blood after last weeks appointment with

endo ( see my previous post for that saga).

>

> Thank you all very much

>

> Dawn

> x

>

Hi Dawn, i to had a twitching eye, mine was my left eye,i had it for quite a

while on and off,but not had it for a while now as i've been feeling a lot

better.As for the popping in the ears still get this now but it has got better,

also had sinus problems as well ,so i'd say all your symptoms are related to

your thyroid problems.Hope this puts your mind at rest.Things will get better.

Helen

Guest guest

Hello, I have eye twitching and twitching all over. Multiple neuros have said I

am OK. This started with my thyroid and has not gotten better.

>

> Hi there, i am certainly no expert, but one of my hypo symptoms is a twitchy

eye. No-one else can see it, but I feel it twitching away very annoyingly. I'm

sure someone else might know for sure....

>

> Sue

[Ed]

Guest guest

Hi Dawn,

Low magnesium is one of the problems in hypo/hyperthyroidism and arises from an unmet increased demand for magnesium and potassium inside the cells in hyperthyroidism; ~ and a decreased demand for magnesium and potassium inside cells in hypothyroidism.

The extracellular fluid transmits that 'demand' or lack of it, to the blood/serum and the kidneys have no conservation mechanism for potassium and magnesium in contrast to the way sodium in conserved.

When supplementing with just thyroxine it pushes up the demand for magnesium and potassium from a depleted pool of electrolytes and they become unbalanced with respect the safe level of electrolytes.

Sodium may also be low and critical if too much fluid is consumed, or electrolytes lost....

A good idea is to request a full lab 'electrolytes' test including for magnesium.

Hiccups or twitching (eye) muscles arises from oversensitive nerves in those muscles due to unbalanced electrolytes and it may be low magnesium and/or low potassium and/or low sodium.

best wishes

Bob

>> Could someone please confirm if eye twitching is a sign of hypothyroidism.> > I have now had a third eopisode where my right eyelid is continually twitching. The current one has so far lasted for 5 days and is really starting to irritate me,