RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: Holiday insurance when self treating.

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

No, it is not adequate and you would be advised not to rely on it.   It does not cover getting you home if you are ill abroad for one thing.   If you needed extra room or a nurse with you to be able to come home it would not cover that either.  It only covers treatment whilst you are at your destination.   You do not have to be skiing to fall over and break something.

My sister and her daughter were on holiday and the daughter was taken ill but sent to a hospital a long way from where they were staying.    The insurance company arranged for my sister to move hotels to be nearer the hospital and paid the extra and sorted it all out.   The card does not cover anything like that either.

Also the card doesn't cover things like lost baggage, cancellation, and things like that.   Lilian

When you travel abroad within the European Union there is a reciprocal arrangement with the NHS for treatment. You get a card in advance which lasts several years.

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/EHIC/Pages/Introduction.aspx

I would have thought this was adequate unless you were going to do hazardous sports such as skiing.

Miriam

Guest guest

When you travel within Europe the EHIC only covers the same as a native of that particular country would be entitled to. The French for example are only reimbursed a percentage of their charges and usually pay for a top up insurance. Also in the event of a debilitating illness or accident there would be no support for repatriation. So please always try to get travel insurance. From: miriam_hinch <miriam_hinch@...> thyroid treatment Sent: Friday, 23 March 2012, 15:52 Subject: Re: Holiday insurance when self treating.

When you travel abroad within the European Union there is a reciprocal arrangement with the NHS for treatment. You get a card in advance which lasts several years.

> There are one or two companies who cover underactive thyroid as standard but they are a bit more expensive. Lloyds TSB are one of the companies.

> https://www.lloydstsbtravelinsurance.co.uk/LloydsTravel/QuoteStart.aspx

>

> When you get a quote online under the medical conditions there is a drop down box to show conditions you don't have to tell them about and Hypo and Hyper are in this list.

>

> I think last time I did a quote for a long weekend in France it was £14.00.