Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi,

I just wanted to share this in case anyone on the forum has Epilepsy and takes

anti-convulsants.

I have a disabled son who has a problem with very low ferritin (7 at the last

test).

The problem is, that anything that we try to supplement with, ie Iron (ferrous),

folic acid, fumerate etc causes the anti-convulsants to become less efficient

and he begins to have fits again. This contra-indication is well known in the

medical world and well documented.

I just thought that, if anyone on anti-convulsants, was thinking of self

treating with any of these products, this is information that you should take

into account.

By the same token, if anyone in this position has found a natural way to incease

ferritin levels, I would be grateful to hear from you.

Thanks

Sue

Guest guest

Thanks Sue, I've been epileptic for 43 years and started to have an increase in seizures just over 12 months ago. I take Phenytoin, Primidone and Lamotrigine three times daily. My GP referred me to a Neurologist who wanted to further refer me to London for invasive surgery, after I said that I had been down that route 25 years ago explicitly emphasized that I wanted no more invasive procedures. Just like any complaint/illness, including hypo/hyperthyroidism, Consultants of orthodox medicine are no longer interested in treating patients holistically. As we know all too well we're all treated clinically, with the parameters of blood ranges widening by the day, thus creating a sicker nation, when we've now wisened to the fact that it's health guidelines that are sick and need curing?

However, believing I had hypothyroid symptoms I joined TPA and pushed my GP for a full blood count. No chance. After I did a private test and showed that my vitamin D was just 34 nmols/L (optimum 75-125 nmols/L) he relented. The results proved borderline low B12 @348ug/L (189-883) and Ferritin 55ug/L (22-275). The TSH came back at 4.0 and on that information, the blinkered GP said no action was required.

I took Sheila's advise and self treated the low Ferritin with Ferrous Sulphate 200mg 2 x daily, with vitamin C to aid absorption and the first symptom to be relieved was the acute breathlessness. A CBC three months later had risen from 348 to 440. Slow but progressive in the right direction.

I've had no adverse effects and no more seizures.

Could you please read the following?;

Nutritional Depletion as a Side Effect of Anticonvulsant Medications

The moderator might want to move this to the chat forum as it's deviating from thyroid and I don't want a slapped ????

Bill>> Hi,> > I just wanted to share this in case anyone on the forum has Epilepsy and takes anti-convulsants.> I have a disabled son who has a problem with very low ferritin (7 at the last test).> > The problem is, that anything that we try to supplement with, ie Iron (ferrous), folic acid, fumerate etc causes the anti-convulsants to become less efficient and he begins to have fits again. This contra-indication is well known in the medical world and well documented.> > I just thought that, if anyone on anti-convulsants, was thinking of self treating with any of these products, this is information that you should take into account.> > By the same token, if anyone in this position has found a natural way to incease ferritin levels, I would be grateful to hear from you.> > Thanks> > Sue>