RemedySpot.com

Mums thyroid consult tomorrow input needed.

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear group, I am new here so please bear with me. I am trying to read and absorb as much info as possible to help first my mum (I have her permission to discuss) and then me (another day! as I have a small nodule on mine apparently - but blood test normal...hm!)

My gran (mums mum) had thyroid problems and a goitre apparently.. my mum now has a large goitre too, and has been having treatment at out local hospital. She has had radioactive iodine treatment twice, failed first time. Had another a few weeks ago.

We are due to go up to the hospital tomorrow. My mum has not been feeling well at all, her temperature varies a lot. (Just read about charting temp, had no idea!)  She has lost the confidence to drive. We have always been emotional but she has become hypersensitive - all I have put down to thyroid. She initially lost a lot of weight, lately has gained, had a craving for whole tubs of ice cream. She has also had IBS symptoms.

We have asked about changing diet the consultant said no point. (Hmm!) She has never been offered a 24 hour urine test.  Shes been taking a drug beginning with C - will find details of needed.

I am searching your website but what I want to know is what do we need to ask tomorrow, before she had the last radioactive iodine treatment we were told her levels are now normal, but that she should have the treatment as she will be on the drugs for her whole life, but this way she can just be on hormones - which have been tested as safer for longer use!

I am cynical at all of what they have suggested by the consultant as I am support people who have had bad experiences with the NHS but through maternity/ breastfeeding, so this is not my area of expertise at all. We would be happier of mum was well but she is feeling ill, spending a lot of time in bed.

Lately she is having high blood pressure too and a headache she describes as like a band around her head. Last time we saw the consultant he said she would probably have to take blood pressure tablets for the rest of her life and to see GP about getting this. She took them for 2 weeks, got the headaches again, GP put her back on them, but he isn't happy at the consultant and says he is going to ring them.

Sorry this is so long, what do we need to ask tomorrow? Thanks,