RemedySpot.com

frozen shoulder

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hijust wondering if anyone else has endured a frozen shoulder (linked to thyroid problems) and if so, what is your experience of treating it?many thanks

Guest guest

I've had the problem twice (both times when I was under-medicated on T4 only).

The first time I had a steroid injection which didn't seem to do much good and

the second time I started taking T3 and it went away with all my other joint

problems.

>

> Hi

> just wondering if anyone else has endured a frozen shoulder (linked to thyroid

problems) and if so, what is your experience of treating it?

> many thanks

>

Guest guest

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/frozenshoulder/a/frozenshoulder.htm

This article shows a connection between frozen shoulder and thyroid disease.

Both my husband and daughter have suffered. Both had one shoulder first that

went into the other shoulder prolonging the agony. My daughter had steroid

injections which worked a treat and she has been fine since with no further

problems but my husband suffered the hard way until it gradually went away.

Both are hypothyroid.

If you type 'frozen shoulder hypothyroidism' into Google, you

will get up a lot of articles about the connection.

Luv - Sheila

Hi

just wondering if anyone else

has endured a frozen shoulder (linked to thyroid problems) and if so, what is

your experience of treating it?

many thanks

No

virus found in this message.

Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

Version: 2012.0.1913 / Virus Database: 2114/4858 - Release Date: 03/08/12

Guest guest

Hi

I used to get this regularly before I was on T3. Painkillers barely made any

difference. The only thing that seemed to help was a percussion massager by

Scholl similar to this one.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scholl-DR7593-Turbo-Percussion-Massager/dp/B0001D0LPU

Hope this helps

Jackie

> I've had the problem twice (both times when I was under-medicated on T4 only).

The first time I had a steroid injection which didn't seem to do much good and

the second time I started taking T3 and it went away with all my other joint

problems.

> > Hi

> > just wondering if anyone else has endured a frozen shoulder (linked to

thyroid problems) and if so, what is your experience of treating it?

> > many thanks

Guest guest

Hi Sheila,

Idiopathic hypoparathyroidism and adhesive capsulitis of the shoulder in two first-degree relatives. Harzy T, Benbouazza K, Amine B, Rahmouni R, Guedira N, Hajjaj-Hassouni N.

Source

Rheumatology "B" Department, El Ayachi Hospital, Salé, Rabat-Salé Teaching Hospital, Rabat, Morocco. t.harzy@...

Abstract

INTRODUCTION:

Primary hypoparathyroidism and adhesive capsulitis of the shoulder in the same patient does not seem to have been reported previously. We report two cases in first-degree relatives.

PATIENTS:

Case 1: In 1999, a 41-year-old woman experienced seizures simulating epilepsy. She had been treated 5 years earlier for idiopathic adhesive capsulitis of both shoulders. Computed tomography of the brain showed calcifications in the basal ganglia meeting criteria for Fahr's disease, and incipient bilateral cataract was found. A diagnosis of idiopathic primary hypoparathyroidism was given. After 1 month of calcium and vitamin D supplementation, improvements were noted in the clinical symptoms, laboratory test, and electroencephalogram.

Case 2: The 70-year-old father of case 1, who had an unremarkable medical history, had been receiving treatment for about 2 years for adhesive capsulitis of the left shoulder. Routine laboratory tests disclosed idiopathic primary hypoparathyroidism. The outcome was favorable with calcium and vitamin D supplementation.

CONCLUSION:

Our cases suggest that there may be a common immunological or genetic basis for primary hypoparathyroidism and adhesive capsulitis. Alternatively, adhesive capsulitis may be a manifestation of hypoparathyroidism. Although genetic factors involved in primary hypoparathyroidism have been elucidated, the pathophysiology of the disease remains unclear. Finally, a chance association remains possible.

Copyright 2003 Elsevier SAS

Additionaly,

Abstract

Adhesive capsulitis of the hip is a not a common clinical presentation. We report a case of adhesive capsulitis of the hip in a patient with hypothyroidism and previous adhesive capsulitis of the shoulder who was receiving thyroid-hormone replacement.

The adhesive capsulitis of both hip and shoulder were treated successfully with physical therapy. Orthopedic surgeons should be aware of this diagnosis and its association with shoulder adhesive capsulitis and thyroid dysfunction, to allow them to recognize it and intervene early.

Source:

The s Hopkins University School of Medicine

Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ) 2000 Jun; 29(6) :457-60.

Luv, Bill

>> http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/frozenshoulder/a/frozenshoulder.htm This article shows a connection between frozen shoulder and thyroid disease. Both my husband and daughter have suffered. Both had one shoulder first that went into the other shoulder prolonging the agony. My daughter had steroid injections which worked a treat and she has been fine since with no further problems but my husband suffered the hard way until it gradually went away. Both are hypothyroid.> > If you type 'frozen shoulder hypothyroidism' into Google, you will get up a lot of articles about the connection.> > Luv - Sheila