RemedySpot.com

I am looking for some advice.......

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I have been receiving posts from the group for some time and see the great

advice that is being shared. I hope you may be able to offer me some guidance

too.

A quick history of me and my symptoms.... I am 55 years old and 5 ft tall. Until

I was 50 years old I was 8st 7lb and this was the heaviest I have ever been

(apart from during pregnancy). I have always had massive amounts of energy and

hardly ever sat down. At 50 years of age things started to change, and menopause

set in. Three years ago (age 52) I gave up smoking having smoked since my teens.

Approx 2 years ago I started taking Levothyroxine and am now currently being

prescribed 100 mg (I started on a lower dose). In the last 3 years my weight has

ballooned to 12 stone. I am taking Citalopram (anit-depressant) and am

lethargic, tired all the time, have lost interest in doing things that I love.

My skin is very dry (although I have been diagosed with poro-keratosis) I suffer

with joint pain in my neck and shoulders. My memory is letting me down too!!!!

In the last 8 months or so I have been to my GP's surgery twice and asked to be

retested. This was done but each time I have been told that 100 mg is the

correct level for me according to my test results (I have not seen my test

result). Four weeks ago I put myself on 125mg (I had some spare 25mg tablets

from my previous dose left). I now feel like I have more energy and am doing

things that I haven't done for ages. I don't think this is mind over matter, my

husband has said the change in me is really noticeable.

The small stock of 25mg tablets has now run out and I have an appointment on

Monday afternoon to see a GP at my surgery. This time I do not want to be fobbed

off. My intention is to ask for my prescribed level to increase to 125mg. I want

to be treated according to my clincial symptoms and not just what a test result

says.

I would welcome any advice or guidance you may be able to give me.

Many thanks

Jan

Guest guest

I've done this in the past and my dr has accepted it, when I have made it clear that I do not want to risk overdosing on thyroxine and am happy to have blood tests to confirm that I'm not doing so. I have overdosed on thyroxine on my regular dose when my thyroid function improved briefly and quickly asked for my dose to be reduced so this may make them accept that I want to be healthy rather than eg abuse the drug to lose weight ( a friend of mine has done this, and GPs are very conscious of it). Perhaps the fact that I stated the main risk of overdosing on thryroxine that GPs are aware of ie osteoporosis helped.

HTH   JackieOn 10 March 2012 19:07, janlivesley <janlivesley@...> wrote:

I have been receiving posts from the group for some time and see the great advice that is being shared. I hope you may be able to offer me some guidance too.

A quick history of me and my symptoms.... I am 55 years old and 5 ft tall. Until I was 50 years old I was 8st 7lb and this was the heaviest I have ever been (apart from during pregnancy). I have always had massive amounts of energy and hardly ever sat down. At 50 years of age things started to change, and menopause set in. Three years ago (age 52) I gave up smoking having smoked since my teens.

Approx 2 years ago I started taking Levothyroxine and am now currently being prescribed 100 mg (I started on a lower dose). In the last 3 years my weight has ballooned to 12 stone. I am taking Citalopram (anit-depressant) and am lethargic, tired all the time, have lost interest in doing things that I love. My skin is very dry (although I have been diagosed with poro-keratosis) I suffer with joint pain in my neck and shoulders. My memory is letting me down too!!!!

In the last 8 months or so I have been to my GP's surgery twice and asked to be retested. This was done but each time I have been told that 100 mg is the correct level for me according to my test results (I have not seen my test result). Four weeks ago I put myself on 125mg (I had some spare 25mg tablets from my previous dose left). I now feel like I have more energy and am doing things that I haven't done for ages. I don't think this is mind over matter, my husband has said the change in me is really noticeable.

The small stock of 25mg tablets has now run out and I have an appointment on Monday afternoon to see a GP at my surgery. This time I do not want to be fobbed off. My intention is to ask for my prescribed level to increase to 125mg. I want to be treated according to my clincial symptoms and not just what a test result says.

I would welcome any advice or guidance you may be able to give me.

Many thanks

Jan

Guest guest

Hi there, you seem to be under medicated . 25mcg is a stating dose and most folks do better on 50 to 100, or even more.post your thyroid test results with the ranges and we can help you with this. Angel.

Guest guest

Hi Jackie,

Many thanks for your response. It is helpful to know what other people have

done and how you approached it. It's also good to know that your GP was

responsive.

How did you know when you where over dosing? What were your symptoms then?

Thanks again and I'll let you know how I get on with the DR tomorrow.

Jan

Guest guest

>

> I have been receiving posts from the group for some time and see the great

advice that is being shared. I hope you may be able to offer me some guidance

too.

>Hi Jan, When i go to the Dr's i ask where my TSH is the best place to have your

TSH is around 1,the range the Dr will go by is 0.30 to 10,as you can see this is

a very wide range.The DR may be happy for you to be anywhere in that range ,but

it should be where you feel well ,so ask the DR where it is and if there's room

for an increase as you do not feel well at the level it's at,tell him you have

tried an increase yourself and you feel better on it .Hope you get on well at

the DR's.Best Wishes Helen

>