RemedySpot.com

GET and ME/CFS

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

There was a post from Alison, I think, - which I've been unable to find my way back to - warning about GET - graded exercise therapy. Just been reading a page from " Voices from the Shadows " website which mentions GET - see below: 

I haven't watched the film, " Voices from the Shadows " , yet - my impression it will be harrowing viewing - I believe it includes stories from young patients who have been severely harmed as a result of being inappropriately " prescribed " GET, among other things.

http://voicesfromtheshadowsfilm.co.uk/me-cfs-and-research/For many years several million pounds worth of MRC research funding for ME/CFS has been allocated to studies run by psychiatrists and psychologists examining the usefulness of different combinations of management programmes more appropriate for behavioural and psychological conditions. These are cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT), which was  originally developed to treat depression, and graded exercise therapy (GET) which is also considered to be a valuable treatment for depression and de-conditioning. These ‘treatments’ for ME are actually management programmes. They are used extensively to support patients receiving medical treatment for illnesses such as cancer, whereas in ME/CFS these behavioural management programmes are being used as a substitute for proper medical treatment. Alarmingly these recommended ‘treatments’, particularly GET, has been found to exacerbate illness and increase disability in many ME patients, sometimes resulting in lifelong total incapacity. (Further reading can be found here: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov  &  www.iacfsme.org

Lynne