RemedySpot.com

Re: GP appointment went better than I expected !!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hello Annie,

I informed her for the first time that I have been self medicating since September2011 with NDT, she appeared shocked at this and raised the concern that asuppressed TSH may result in osteoporosis and apparently this has been proven, Ineed to research this further. Any guidance on this very welcome.

Well done for standing your ground and for achieving all those blood tests! Re her concerns about crumbling bones and heart disease, the following might help......

http://www.endocrinology.org/press/pressreleases/2010-03-16_Thyroxine.pdf

The study found that patients with very high (>4.0mU/l) or suppressed (¡Ü0.03mU/l) TSH levels more frequently suffered from heart disease, abnormal heartbeat patterns and bone fractures compared to patients whose TSH levels are in the normal range (0.4-4.0 mU/l). Patients who had a slightly low TSH level (0.04-0.4mU/l) did not have an increased risk of contracting any of these conditions.

Should I stop taking thyroid meds and vitamins and minerals until I have myblood test on Wednesday?

You could stop the vits and minerals, but do not stop your thyroid medication just yet.... but do NOT take your NDT on the morning of the blood draw - take it afterwards. If you split your NDT dose, make sure that you leave at least 12 hours between the last dose and the blood draw.... a bit more if you want the results to look slightly on the low side. If you divide your dose into early morning and early afternoon, then that is fine and you should take your Tuesday dose as usual.

Expect your TSH to be suppressed - it most likely will be, and there is nothing to worry about that. It is only the FT4 and FT3 that should not exceed their ref ranges... and I am confident that they won't.

Please let us know how you get on and what the results of the tests show.

With best wishes,

Guest guest

Hi AnniePersonally, I don't take ANY vitamins and minerals for a week before my tests. I also don't take ANY thyroid medication for 24 hours before my test (especially if on T3 or NDT). If a GP tries to trick me into taking a blood test without warning, I refuse and make an inane excuse and get out of there fast.Perhaps another member can explain in more detail why... there has been lots of discussion on this on the forum why this is so, and it was mentioned in Dr Skinner's Fitness to Practice Hearing by an Expert.LoveJacquiePS: Sorry, I try to be more informative but my NDT got lost in the post and I've been without for a while, so brain is struggling and the ZZzzz's are taking over!! LoveJacquie>>> Should I stop taking thyroid meds and vitamins and minerals until I have my blood test on Wednesday? > > Annie>

Guest guest

EDITED TO REMOVE MOST OF PREVIOUS MESSAGE/S. MEMBERS PLEASE NOTE, IF YOU DO

NOT DO THIS YOURSELF IT COULD MEAN A DELAY IN APPROVING YOUR MESSAGES.

Hi

Thank you for your fast response and guidance. It is so nice to have the

support of this forum, it's a god send. Enjoy the sunshine.

Annie

>

>

>

>

> Hello Annie,

>

>

>

> I informed her for the first time that I have been self medicating since

> September

> 2011 with NDT, she appeared shocked at this and raised the concern that

> a

> suppressed TSH may result in osteoporosis and apparently this has been

> proven, I

> need to research this further. Any guidance on this very welcome.

>

Guest guest

Hi, Thank you for your advice. I have already taken NDT today, so will leave it

off tomorrow, bloods are being done on Wednesday. Also I won't take any

vitamins or minerals until after blood test now.

Hope the NDT turns up soon, :-)

Annie

>

> Hi Annie

> Personally, I don't take ANY vitamins and minerals for a week before my

> tests. I also don't take ANY thyroid medication for 24 hours before my

> test (especially if on T3 or NDT). If a GP tries to trick