RemedySpot.com

Re: Hi I'm a 29 year old with BPEI

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Kirsty,

First of all, congradulations on your baby girls!!! Theres nothing in this world more amazing and beautiful than your new born baby:)

I hope they are doing well and thriving...:) I'm guessing EXTRA sleepless nights having two!!! All well worth it though:)

I remember looking at your photos and thinking how great your eyes looked! And not imaging that you would get a second look of curiousity:) Actually there are a LOT of photos posted that make me feel the same way...perhaps its because we have child with it and we are just so used to it that you just don't notice it anymore :) Anyways....

Do you have POF and used a surrogate for this reason? My husband nor myself have BPES, it is our 4 year old son who does:) He is the ONLY one in our family to have this, so an extra surprise for us when he was born as our first son did not have it :) He has recently been diagnosed with having an astigmatism, so is now wearing glasses, which I must say, looks VERY cute in them:) He looks like the little blonde boy from the movie *Jerry Maguire* :) The opthalmologist will see him in february to make sure the glasses are doing there job, plus we will discuss surgery, perhaps sometime this year before he starts school? His sight up til now has been perfect, and apart from using his forehead to raise his eyelids you wouldn't know he had BPES....He has never tilted his head to see, he just runs around looking straight ahead:)

Good luck with your babies and know that the long sleepless nights subside all to soon.....Take care,

Leanne and Family

(Christchurch, New Zealand)

-- blepharophimosis Hi I'm a 29 year old with BPEI

Hi Everybody!I just posted this so if it appears twice, forgive my redundancy!I'm Kirsty McConaghy, (photos are in the photo section of this site), and i felt compelled to write and say Hi to everybody.I've recently become a new Mum (via a wonderful friend/surrogate Mother) and am now the proud Mother of twin girls. The joys of motherhood have made me reflect a lot on my childhood as well as have a new understanding/empathy for what my own parents must have gone through when they first discovered my BPEI.I wanted to send a word of encouragement to all the new parents of children with BPEI. I can happily say that BPEI (perhaps surprisingly so) had very little affect on my life. From my own perspective, my eyes were a little 'different' and, yes i had comments from other kids, but as I grew older, found my gifts/talents, i developed my own lofty ideals about the world and my own goals. I wanted to travel a lot, see the world, start my own business (although when i was 10 that included starting a toy-making business LOL), but in reality it ended up being an internet marketing company, get married and have lots of children, hopefully twins. Well here i am, looking at my twin daughters, having recently return from five years in America where i met my fantastic husband, and more than satisifed with my 29 years of life.As a child, i absolutely had comments from other kids, but new Mum's please know that your child will not suffer the same anxiety/fear you have.. as a child with BPEI, we just feel that our eyes are a 'bit different'. To me, every kid had something about them, be it dark skin, red hair, bow legs, mine just happened to be small eyes - big deal? I wish i had some photos to show of me as a youngster, i need to find some and scan them in, my eyes were quite severe, i had the full BPEI, apparently when i was born, the doctors just described my eyes as 'two small slits'.Anyway, i hope i have given some encouragement to you new Mums. Your children wont suffer the fears you have, they will be too busy having fun!All the best, and please email me if you have any specific questions. Any questions relating to surgeries, i'll have to ask my parents, its been probably about 18 years since i've had my last one (although i did have rhinoplasty on my nose as it was becoming quite crooked due to the surgery i had had inserting a pin to bring the bridge of my nose) I actually forget i have BPEI, as does everyonelse.Kirstyx0