RemedySpot.com

Re: therapy for froggy legs

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hip Helpers!!! They are great! has a pair........don't bother him in the least.......wears them around the house and during therapy........can't hurt to try!

http://hiphelpers.com/index.htm

Dawn,

Mom to angel 1, DS

In a message dated 1/10/2008 1:03:20 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, kdelaney@... writes:

I'm remember a similar discussion recently on this loop, and wanted to ask a question to those who may have dealt with this...Last week, our PT said that was rotating her legs out to the sides (she calls them froggy legs) while on her stomach. She can lift her weight with her arms, but cannot tuck her legs under her, to get into the crawling position. She is 10 months. She suggested that we may work on fitting her with special pants, with the inseams sewn together, to encourage her to keep her legs together. Now I'm remembering how Carole and Caroline and others here were saying how the orthopedic surgeons were not giving this advice, and how it could actually be harmful. When I mentioned it to my PT, she said that is true if there is an underlying hip problem, but not for 's case, as her hips are fine. Now I don't know if we should use this therapy, or not. My common sense tells me that wearing pants with sewn inseams (a mermaid comes to mind LOL) may not promote crawling, but then again, what do I know? Any ideas?Thanks! Kris Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

My DD Eliza (2.5) has been wearing hip helpers since about 6 months and her PT always complimented her on her great positioning in the 4pt crawl, and how fast she is in the crawl. I think the hip helpers were a big part of it. Definitely recommended here. LIzDgaita1013@... wrote: Hip Helpers!!! They are great! has a pair........don't bother him in the least.......wears them around the house and during

therapy........can't hurt to try! http://hiphelpers.com/index.htm Dawn, Mom to angel 1, DS In a message dated 1/10/2008 1:03:20 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, kdelaneynew (DOT) rr.com writes: I'm remember a similar discussion recently on this loop, and wanted to ask a question to those who may have dealt with this...Last week, our PT said that was rotating her legs out to the sides (she calls them froggy legs) while on her stomach. She can lift her weight with her arms, but cannot tuck her legs under her, to get into the crawling position. She is 10 months.

She suggested that we may work on fitting her with special pants, with the inseams sewn together, to encourage her to keep her legs together. Now I'm remembering how Carole and Caroline and others here were saying how the orthopedic surgeons were not giving this advice, and how it could actually be harmful. When I mentioned it to my PT, she said that is true if there is an underlying hip problem, but not for 's case, as her hips are fine. Now I don't know if we should use this therapy, or not. My common sense tells me that wearing pants with sewn inseams (a mermaid comes to mind LOL) may not promote crawling, but then again, what do I know? Any ideas?Thanks! Kris Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

has always had very low muscle tone. She is 3y 4 mo now and still rotates her legs. When she is sleeping on her tummy, she looks just like a frog. She didnt crawl - moved bear -like, instead, before walking which ocurred when she was 2 y 3 mo. I knew about the tight panties, but never used them. She walks fine now. Pat mum to ELIZABETH BROWN <archiepug@...> escreveu: My DD Eliza (2.5) has been wearing hip helpers since about 6 months and her PT always complimented her on her great

positioning in the 4pt crawl, and how fast she is in the crawl. I think the hip helpers were a big part of it. Definitely recommended here. LIzDgaita1013aol wrote: Hip Helpers!!! They are great! has a pair........don't bother him in the least.......wears them around the house and during therapy........can't hurt to try! http://hiphelpers.com/index.htm Dawn, Mom to angel 1, DS In a message dated 1/10/2008 1:03:20 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, kdelaneynew (DOT) rr.com writes: I'm remember a similar discussion recently on this loop, and wanted to ask a question to those who may have dealt with this...Last week, our PT said that was rotating her legs out to the sides (she calls them froggy legs) while on her stomach. She can lift her weight with her arms, but cannot tuck her legs under her, to get into the crawling position. She is 10 months. She suggested that we may work on fitting her with special pants, with the inseams sewn together, to encourage her to keep her legs together. Now I'm remembering how Carole and Caroline and others here were saying how the orthopedic surgeons were not giving this advice, and how it could actually be harmful. When I mentioned it to my PT, she said that is true if there is an underlying hip problem, but not for

's case, as her hips are fine. Now I don't know if we should use this therapy, or not. My common sense tells me that wearing pants with sewn inseams (a mermaid comes to mind LOL) may not promote crawling, but then again, what do I know? Any ideas?Thanks! Kris Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

Abra sua conta no , o único sem limite de espaço para armazenamento!

I have a pair of hip helpers. Pretty much brand new as my girls didn't have to wear them very long. And they only wore them during therapy sessions.

I would be willing to part with them in order to help out another child who needs them.

Re: therapy for "froggy legs"

Hip Helpers!!! They are great! has a pair........don't bother him in the least.......wears them around the house and during therapy........can't hurt to try!

Dawn,

Mom to angel 1, DS

In a message dated 1/10/2008 1:03:20 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, kdelaneynew (DOT) rr.com writes:

I'm remember a similar discussion recently on this loop, and wanted to ask a question to those who may have dealt with this...Last week, our PT said that was rotating her legs out to the sides (she calls them froggy legs) while on her stomach. She can lift her weight with her arms, but cannot tuck her legs under her, to get into the crawling position. She is 10 months. She suggested that we may work on fitting her with special pants, with the inseams sewn together, to encourage her to keep her legs together. Now I'm remembering how Carole and Caroline and others here were saying how the orthopedic surgeons were not giving this advice, and how it could actually be harmful. When I mentioned it to my PT, she said that is true if there is an underlying hip problem, but not for 's case, as her hips are fine. Now I don't know if we should use this therapy, or not. My common sense tells me that wearing pants with sewn inseams (a mermaid comes to mind LOL) may not promote crawling, but then again, what do I know? Any ideas?Thanks! Kris

Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.19.0/1216 - Release Date: 1/9/2008 10:16 AM

I didn't see the original post for some reason, but I thought I'd reply now :).

This is the link that has what Carol posted some time ago about the negative side to hip helpers - http://gotdownsyndrome.net/hips.html

We had hip helpers for my brother when he was 8-10 months old and he couldn't stand them! He wouldn't do anything with them on. So, needless to say, we didn't use them! My brother never learned to crawl on his hands and knees, but he had his own way of crawling (with his butt up on the air) and then he learned to walk at 17 months with no problem. He walks and runs just fine now!

Qadoshyah

Book ~ Down Syndrome: What You CAN Dowww.gotdownsyndrome.net/Book/whatyoucandobook.html

Re: therapy for "froggy legs"

Dawn,

Mom to angel 1, DS

In a message dated 1/10/2008 1:03:20 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, kdelaneynew (DOT) rr.com writes:

I'm remember a similar discussion recently on this loop, and wanted to ask a question to those who may have dealt with this...Last week, our PT said that was rotating her legs out to the sides (she calls them froggy legs) while on her stomach. She can lift her weight with her arms, but cannot tuck her legs under her, to get into the crawling position. She is 10 months. She suggested that we may work on fitting her with special pants, with the inseams sewn together, to encourage her to keep her legs together. Now I'm remembering how Carole and Caroline and others here were saying how the orthopedic surgeons were not giving this advice, and how it could actually be harmful. When I mentioned it to my PT, she said that is true if there is an underlying hip problem, but not for 's case, as her hips are fine. Now I don't know if we should use this therapy, or not. My common sense tells me that wearing pants with sewn inseams (a mermaid comes to mind LOL) may not promote crawling, but then again, what do I know? Any ideas?Thanks! Kris

Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.19.0/1218 - Release Date: 1/10/2008 1:32 PM

Kris, There's no problem with using them to facilitate crawling. I never managed to grow more arms and legs to hold her all together while trying to get her up on hands and knees!! :-) I used a large tube sock and diaper pins around her hips to hold her all together while she built up those muscles and her balance. It held her in place, but also allowed her a good range of motion , very cheap too!Others have sewn stretch pants together, easy to find right now, wide head bands, and large panty hose cut up, using just one leg.The problem with hip huggers is when they are kept on a child most of the time and/or all night and the hips are also held together by other means, such as always holding them so the legs are together as opposed to the time honored way of carrying baby

straddled around your hip, or letting them sit however they wish etc....Froggy legs are good, straight down is bad.Another help to being on all fours is a bathtub filled with enough water to hold up their mid section. Make sure you have a non slip mat. A little bit of water and no mat in the bath tub is also a great place to practice coming to sit in the typical way too. The water makes it easier, yet they are strengthening the muscles used for these activities on dry land as well. Carol in IL AIM doihavtasay1 GigaTribe doihavtasayMom to seven including , 7 with TOF, AVcanal, GERD, LS, Asthma, subglottal stenosis, and DS.My problem is not how I look. It's how you see me. Join our Down Syndrome information group - Down Syndrome Treatment/ Listen to oldest dd's music http://www.myspace.com/vennamusic----- Original Message ----From: Kris Delaney <kdelaney@...>Down Syndrome Treatment Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2008 12:02:28 PMSubject: therapy for "froggy legs"

I'm remember a similar discussion recently on this loop, and wanted to ask a

question to those who may have dealt with this...

Last week, our PT said that was rotating her legs out to the sides (she

calls them froggy legs) while on her stomach. She can lift her weight with

her arms, but cannot tuck her legs under her, to get into the crawling

position. She is 10 months. She suggested that we may work on fitting her

with special pants, with the inseams sewn together, to encourage her to keep

her legs together. Now I'm remembering how Carole and Caroline and others

here were saying how the orthopedic surgeons were not giving this advice,

and how it could actually be harmful. When I mentioned it to my PT, she

said that is true if there is an underlying hip problem, but not for 's

case, as her hips are fine. Now I don't know if we should use this therapy,

or not. My common sense tells me that wearing pants with sewn inseams (a

mermaid comes to mind LOL) may not promote crawling, but then again, what do

I know? Any ideas?

Thanks! Kris

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

---I'm , from Brasil, I have 4 childrem,Tali, ,Raquel

and , Raquel is down sindrom, nine years old. She used tight

pants whem she was 3 years old and those special pants were very

important, I realized that halped her yo keep legs toguether, I

really don't know if the pants can help all the childrem, but for

Raquel was good.

In Down Syndrome Treatment , " Kris Delaney "

<kdelaney@...> wrote:

>

> I'm remember a similar discussion recently on this loop, and wanted

to ask a

> question to those who may have dealt with this...

>

> Last week, our PT said that was rotating her legs out to the

sides (she

> calls them froggy legs) while on her stomach. She can lift her

weight with

> her arms, but cannot tuck her legs under her, to get into the

crawling

> position. She is 10 months. She suggested that we may work on

fitting her

> with special pants, with the inseams sewn together, to encourage

her to keep

> her legs together. Now I'm remembering how Carole and Caroline and

others

> here were saying how the orthopedic surgeons were not giving this

advice,

> and how it could actually be harmful. When I mentioned it to my

PT, she

> said that is true if there is an underlying hip problem, but not

for 's

> case, as her hips are fine. Now I don't know if we should use this

therapy,

> or not. My common sense tells me that wearing pants with sewn

inseams (a

> mermaid comes to mind LOL) may not promote crawling, but then

again, what do

> I know? Any ideas?

>

> Thanks! Kris

>

Kris,

I agree completely with Carol, especailly using the bathtub ideas. The water

really worked her muscles and worked great for Isabella. We did use hipsters to

help facilitate correct postiioning, but did not leave them on for long periods

of time. Bell's PT would use them with us during sessions and I would put them

on when I was really working on crawling b/c as others have said holding them

all together while trying to help them crawl is very tough.

I think I have a pair of hipsters here, I will be happy to mail them to you. I

will double check and email you if I cannot find them!

Isabella still will sleep froggy style once and awhile.

Caroline

---

Thank you all for the help with this. I understand better now and will not

worry about wearing the hip huggers, as long as it's for limited times.

Caroline, thanks for the offer on Bella's....but I'm pretty sure our PT is

going to provide them. I'll let you know. Blessings, Kris