RemedySpot.com

Re: [SPAM]Re: Re: Orthotics Question

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Sam has had her suresteps for nearly a year.. and no.. she had not done much real weight bearing up till the time she got them. She crawled but standing / pulling to stand really looked like it hurt or at least too unstable.

Our insurance would not pay for them.. flex account did reimburse though. They were about 400 dollars. SO I am hoping we dont need two more pair : ) SO ours have lasted AT LEAST one full year... and she went through a couple shoe sizes 0 - 4. So if your child is weight bearing already.. then I would expect them to last one year at least.. two years at most.

She is still wearing them.. I don't think we will have to have a third pair.. and I am sure the second pair will last longer ( if we still need a second pair) because she is weight bearing now. I was told most kids only need one or two pair.

Steph

[sPAM]Re: Re: Orthotics Question

Steph said her daughter had a foot growth spurt after getting in the Sure Steps. But it sounds like she wasn't doing much weight bearing before, so that must have made the difference.

is a little guy who wears the same size clothes and the same size shoes for a long time. He was pulling to stand and cruising around furniture for 4 or 5 months before he got his Sure Steps. He was a size 3 shoe, and the shoes I found that work with the Sure Steps are a size 4. The Sure Steps and shoes still fit him, and it has been 5 months! His feet may have grown a tiny bit, like maybe he would wear a size 3 1/2 shoe now. He may make it as long as a year before he needs to go to a larger size! I'm sure the insurance will be happy about that, but I'm looking forward to getting to pick out different decals for his next pair.

Another friend has a 4 yr. old adpoted daughter with DS. She homeschools and doesn't want outside intervention, like PT or OT or speech therapy. Her daughter was a few months past 3 when she finally began to walk alone. She walked with a fairly wide base, at first, but that is improving. Anyway, they buy traditional high top white toddler walkers from Stride Rite, and those are the only shoes that give her adequate support so that she will walk. And she wears one pair a whole year before her feet outgrow them. I don't know to what size they'll be able to find those; it seems like they wouldn't make them in sizes larger than a 6 or so.

Well, I wish you and Tyson the best! I guess there are pros and cons to having a relative who is your son's PT.

And I wish Ty a VERY HAPPY AND HEALTHY BIRTHDAY!!

Blessings,

sharondcaswell <sharondcaswell > wrote:

Tyson will be 2 years old on Thursday! He is walking around more than crawling now. Not a real smooth, heel toe walk yet, but doing well. Just can't get up once he falls unless he has support. We are working on getting him to pick things up that he drops, and he is willing...just needs help. I'm sure he'll get there.So, thanks for the talk about the differences between sure steps and custom. That is EXACTLY what I am thinking! I have never heard anything good about people with custom made. My nephew had orhtotics when he was young -- custom made ones, and they did not help him at all. My parents have had custom made othotics, and they didn't help -- the good feet store totally fixed my mom's plantar's faci...whatever. But custom made did nothing for her. So, I am not wanting the casted ones!!! And I think the sure steps look great. I will see what his pt (who is my aunt -- which is why I feel a little less forceful about my own opinion and all -- don't want to hurt her feelings!) says about how he is moving -- and if she says he needs support, I will say we are going to start with sure steps.Oh, how long do they last? How fast do the kids need a larger size?I so appreciate you guys! I hope that I will be able to help people out when Ty is older. I feel like I have little to contribute right now.:)Oh, and I am so with you on the immune boosting things!!! Tyson doesn't have asthma, but he does constantly get every cold my other kids carry home with them, and he STRUGGLES to get rid of them. Always leads to a cough, and it seems like he is sick all winter long. But, so far, not many ear infections, so knock on wood with that!thanks again,Sharon

(one and only wife to Fred; mom to Kari, Melody, Faith, Heidi, Isaac, Josiah, , Alana, and ! Yes, they're all ours!)

Is. 40:31 "They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint."

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.