RemedySpot.com

Re: description of neurogenesis

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I do love the mention of building new neurons by using new experience... I have no research to back to me up, but it sure has worked wonders for . What method are they using to measure neurogenesis ? How do you know Neil is actually growing new cells, or is it just based on previous research? How are you going to document growth in the trials? Are there going to be standardized tests given before and after treatments?Have you had a child on the protocol who is currently at the level shown in the 'after' videos, and if so , how did that child react to the treatment?How does the protocol effect temperament and personality? Carol in IL AIM doihavtasay1 GigaTribe doihavtasayMom to seven including , 7 with TOF, AVcanal, GERD, LS, Asthma, subglottal stenosis, and DS.My problem is not how I look. It's how you see me. Join our Down Syndrome information group - Down Syndrome Treatment/ Listen to oldest dd's music http://www.myspace.com/vennamusic----- Original Message ----From: Cody <teresa.cody@...>Down Syndrome Treatment Sent: Saturday, January 5, 2008 8:12:56 PMSubject:

description of neurogenesis

Let's talk about neurogenesis. Neurogenesis (birth of neurons) is the process by which neurons are created. It is a very new concept that neurogenesis occurs post birth. Adult neurogenesis is a recent example of a long-held scientific theory being overturned, with the phenomenon only recently being largely accepted by the scientific community. Early neuroanatomists, considered the nervous system fixed and incapable of regeneration. This concept of being fixed lasted for about 100 years. It was only in about 2000 that it became plainly evident that it does occur throughout life and w/o it the person begins to degenerate. Neurogenesis is important to learning and memory. the following paragraph is directly

from Wilkepedia: Adult born neurons appear to have a role in the regulation of stress. Malberg et al. (2000) [8] and Manev et al. (2001) [9] have linked neurogenesis to the beneficial actions of

certain antidepressants, suggesting a connection between decreased hippocampal neu rogenesis and depression. In a subsequent paper, Santarelli et al. (2003) [10] demonstrated that the behavioural effects of antidepressants in mice did not occur when neurogenesis was prevented with x-irradiation techniques. In fact, adult-born neurons are more excitable than older neurons due to a differential expression of GABA receptors. A plausible model therefore is that these neurons augment the role of the hippocampus in the negative feedback mechanism of the HPA-axis (physiolo gical stress) and perhaps in inhibiting the

amygdala (the region of brain responsible for fearful responses to stimuli). This is consistent with numerous findings linking stress-relieving activities (learning, exposure to a new yet benign environment, and exercise) to increased levels of neurogenesis, as well as the observation that animals exposed to physiological stress (cortisol) or psychological

stress (e.g. isolation) show markedly decreased levels of adult-born neurons. Very recent papers have linked together learning and memory with depression, and have suggested that neurogenesis may promote neuroplasticity. For instance, Castren (2005) [11] has proposed that our mood may be regulated, at a base level, by plasticity, and thus not chemistry; for instance, the effects of antidepressant treatment are only secondary to this. The mechanism by which it occurs is not yet understood but some things are known. The mechanism probably uses neural stem cells and neurotophic factors (eg. BDNF - brain derived neurotrophic factor). It probably does not use neurotransmittors however they are involved in synaptic plasticity and the firing of nerves. These concepts are very important to everyone's well-being not just those with DS. This is a good start. Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

The way they measured new neurons in the mice, monkeys etc. is they make brain slices and count them. This is not possible on our kids. But there have been days...... Look neurogenesis is a fact w/ prozac. That is what it does w/ everybody. Depressed people have lower neuron counts. They simulate depression in the mice by stressing them out. I have observed symptom improvement. In the clinical trial the participants are tested using standardized tests before at 6 months at 12 months and depending how much money we have even possibly 18 months. We are also filming each participant so we can SEE the changes. There are about 10 kids that have been on all or part of the protocol for about the same amount of time. They have all improved comparing them to themselves. With more understanding of the world around them, the personality is better. Neal is still tough though.

Carol in IL <ps1272000@...> wrote: I do love the mention of building new neurons by using new experience... I have no research to back to me up, but it sure has worked wonders for . What method are they using to measure neurogenesis ? How do you know Neil is actually growing new cells, or is it just based on previous research? How are you going to document growth in the trials? Are there going to be

standardized tests given before and after treatments?Have you had a child on the protocol who is currently at the level shown in the 'after' videos, and if so , how did that child react to the treatment?How does the protocol effect temperament and personality? Carol in IL AIM doihavtasay1 GigaTribe doihavtasayMom to seven

including , 7 with TOF, AVcanal, GERD, LS, Asthma, subglottal stenosis, and DS.My problem is not how I look. It's how you see me. Join our Down Syndrome information group - Down Syndrome Treatment/ Listen to oldest dd's music http://www.myspace.com/vennamusic description of neurogenesis Let's talk about neurogenesis. Neurogenesis (birth of neurons) is the process by which neurons are created. It is a very new concept that neurogenesis occurs post birth. Adult neurogenesis is a recent example of a long-held scientific theory being overturned, with the phenomenon only recently being largely accepted by the scientific community. Early neuroanatomists, considered the nervous system fixed and

incapable of regeneration. This concept of being fixed lasted for about 100 years. It was only in about 2000 that it became plainly evident that it does occur throughout life and w/o it the person begins to degenerate. Neurogenesis is important to learning and memory. the following paragraph is directly from Wilkepedia: Adult born neurons appear to have a role in the regulation of stress. Malberg et al. (2000) [8] and Manev et al. (2001) [9] have linked neurogenesis to the beneficial actions of certain antidepressants, suggesting a connection between decreased hippocampal neu rogenesis and depression. In a subsequent paper, Santarelli et al. (2003) [10] demonstrated that the behavioural effects of antidepressants in mice did not occur when neurogenesis was prevented with x-irradiation techniques. In fact, adult-born neurons are more excitable than older neurons due to a differential expression of GABA receptors. A plausible model therefore is that these neurons augment the role of the hippocampus in the negative feedback mechanism of the HPA-axis (physiolo gical stress) and perhaps in inhibiting the amygdala (the region of brain responsible for fearful responses to stimuli).

This is consistent with numerous findings linking stress-relieving activities (learning, exposure to a new yet benign environment, and exercise) to increased levels of neurogenesis, as well as the observation that animals exposed to physiological stress (cortisol) or psychological stress (e.g. isolation) show markedly decreased levels of adult-born neurons. Very recent papers have linked together learning and memory with depression, and have suggested that neurogenesis may promote neuroplasticity. For instance, Castren (2005) [11] has proposed that our mood may be regulated, at a base level, by plasticity, and thus not chemistry; for instance, the effects of antidepressant treatment are only secondary to this. The mechanism by which it occurs is not yet understood but some things are known. The mechanism probably uses neural stem cells and neurotophic factors (eg. BDNF - brain derived neurotrophic factor). It probably does not use neurotransmittors however they are involved in synaptic plasticity and the firing of nerves. These concepts are very important to everyone's well-being not just those with DS. This is a good start. Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now. Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.