RemedySpot.com

Re: [SPAM]Re: new to the group

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Do all SSRI have this affect? Would Zoloft?

Steph

[sPAM]Re: new to the group

<<How much research is there right now to support the safety of giving young children prozac for long periods? What would the side effects be? What would happen if you stopped? Does anyone have an educated guess as to the long term affects this is going to have on a person with DS?>>

Certainly nothing scholarly about this comment but I can tell you that kids on the DS-Aut list have been on prozac for many many years. The only common thread seems to be that they need to regularly every year or two switch to an alternate SSRI as Prozac (low dose) seems to lose it's effect. Kids as young as 3 and as old as 43 take it. They often return to prozac later on. I doubt this has much to do with the current discussion..just to point out there is a long history of a large group of kids with DS who have been on SSRIs. As prozac is usually the one medicaid wants you to try first before they will pay for others I would venture a guess that 100s have taken it.

Sherry